• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teams jumping on the advanced stats bandwagon

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That eskimos without television, radio or internet access probably knew that Grabovski was getting shafted by Randy?

The way I read the discussion you said something about goals and assists being good enough to judge. I suggested that looking just at goals and assists sometimes left out important details and that looking at different data could sometimes help to better inform analysis and conclusions, citing Grabovski as a specific example of this. You then responded by saying that Grabovski's usage data didn't tell us anything new ("That's all well and good, but those are things that you could determine pretty easily if you watch the games"), presumably implying something about the value of the data being cited in general (otherwise what was the point?). So I'm not really sure how me saying "It sort of seemed to me that you were also saying (or at the very least implying) that any stats they cite can't tell us anything that we can't get from watching anyway" is a gross misinterpretation of your position in this thread.

So I guess I'll just ask, if your comment was meant to be specific and not general, do you think that looking at things like zone starts, ice time and quality of competition is useful in putting goals and assists in context for players whose situations aren't as obvious as Grabovski's was?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I read the discussion you said something about goals and assists being good enough to judge. I suggested that looking just at goals and assists sometimes left out important details and that looking at different data could sometimes help to better inform analysis and conclusions, citing Grabovski as a specific example of this. You then responded by saying that Grabovski's usage data didn't tell us anything new ("That's all well and good, but those are things that you could determine pretty easily if you watch the games"), presumably implying something about the value of the data being cited in general (otherwise what was the point?). So I'm not really sure how me saying "It sort of seemed to me that you were also saying (or at the very least implying) that any stats they cite can't tell us anything that we can't get from watching anyway" is a gross misinterpretation of your position in this thread.

So I guess I'll just ask, if your comment was meant to be specific and not general, do you think that looking at things like zone starts, ice time and quality of competition is useful in putting goals and assists in context for players whose situations aren't as obvious as Grabovski's was?

I'm saying they are great tools if you are about to give somebody $30 million, but since I'm sitting on my couch getting drunk and watching the game they don't really have much use to me.

Canuck eh?

Big Flat Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm saying they are great tools if you are about to give somebody $30 million, but since I'm sitting on my couch getting drunk and watching the game they don't really have much use to me.

Don't worry guys you'll be fast friends once the season starts and the rest of the league is laughing at you again. :L

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hockey News is predicting a 7th place finish for the Flames in the Pacific Division (I think that's also known as last place). Only thing getting in our way of selecting McDavid is the Oilers.

Canuck eh?

Big Flat Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hockey News is predicting a 7th place finish for the Flames in the Pacific Division (I think that's also known as last place). Only thing getting in our way of selecting McDavid is the Oilers.

And possibly Lord Irk. :yell:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can he stay patient and resist going for the quick fix? Hopefully Treliving keeps the keys and doesn't let Burkie drive.

Like i've said before, thus far it seems that his stint with the Leafs was Burke's test drive for building a team from scratch, and he's using the experiments he performed on the Leafs to build the Flames the right way.

Assuming for this exercise they get McDavid, imagine the return he could get for Bennett or Monahan when he has too many good centres. One thing I do give Burke credit for, save the Kessel deal, he made some pretty excellent trades when he was here.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he's found a barber yet?

7f021460-b5ce-11e3-b004-5b45b2b1268d_BjteBmyCEAAJvPc-copy.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs appear to be all in on the fancy stats now ... and extraskater.com would now appear to be toast for the stats happy public

steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve 1m

I like the hiring of Darryl Metcalf. I dislike the hiring of Cam Charron, who from my experiences is a weasel who can't be trusted.

takes one to know one i guess :noidea:

/edit: puckdaddy ... Our loss as hockey fans – the site will cease operation – is Toronto’s gain, as all of that site’s analysis and calculations will be kept in house

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs appear to be all in on the fancy stats now ... and extraskater.com would now appear to be toast for the stats happy public

I like the hiring of Darryl Metcalf. I dislike the hiring of Cam Charron, who from my experiences is a weasel who can't be trusted.

/edit: puckdaddy ... Our loss as hockey fans – the site will cease operation – is Toronto’s gain, as all of that site’s analysis and calculations will be kept in house

"I'm not going to tell you anything more about why I think that though, I'm just going to call him names cause I wish it was me instead. Come on guys, I've been coaching single A for over 20 years and all the kids think I'm super smart!"

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, what kind of a professional journalist openly calls someone else a weasel on their twitter account?

/I think I have answered my own question.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No wonder Randy was so reluctant to check it out