• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TCU Game Thread

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 TOs equals loss

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although to be honest, the refs also screwed WVU over a couple of times.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A terrible loss. The offense threw it away, and kept putting the defense in bad situations. Could not believe the TO's....especially Trickett's last pick. Lots of...are you kidding me moments.

Don't understand the conservative play calling on the last possession.

This one might be hard for the kids to overcome....

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the conservative play calling, Trickett was stinking it up, couldn't trust him not to turn it over.

The D was playing good, I think the change in going to zone at the end, instead of what got us there may have been the difference.

A close loss to the number 7 team in the land on a last second field goal, is disappointing but not the end of the world.

What will tell the tale is how they play next week.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will never hear Dana admit it but guarantee you he called a pass play on that last offensive series and Trick missed it (hence the...convo on the sidelines afterwards).
Im not so sure Trickett didn't suffer a mild concussion on the face mask play, he was not himself after that imo...

He locked in on White too much and why Dana got away from running Dreamius Smith is mind boggling.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holgerson lost this game. Shitty end game coaching.

Yeah he did. He personally turned the ball over 5 times inside their own 40 yard line. Glad u watched the entire game. Friggin idiot

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he did. He personally turned the ball over 5 times inside their own 40 yard line. Glad u watched the entire game. Friggin idiot

He also had the lead with only a few minutes to go and choked with terrible play calling on both offense and defense.

"Hey guys, lets call a bunch of run plays in obvious run situations and then only rush 3 when they get the ball back so they can get those 50 years and kick a FG to win. And lets not use any of our 3 timeouts except to try and ice the kicker, because getting the ball back once it's obvious the other team is in FG range is over-rated. And let's also allow them to do a clock run off after the injury as well, rather than decline it"

Sorry, you may not want to hear it - but your coach choked. He mailed it in and basically put all his hopes on the other teams kicker. Stupid. I bet even Les Miles facepalmed after that one.

bertindaback.gif

And yes, I did watch the entire game. It was one of the better games of the day as I figured it would be. Too bad about the ending.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach did not choke. He could have some different calls likely with the same result. Our QB was out of sorts at the end of the game and he did not have much choices other than to try to ride the clock. We were in position to win the game and came up 1 play short.

He coached the game about the same way Saban would under the circumstances.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense and special teams were the strengths of the team yesterday and at the end of the game. Dana put the fate of the game in their hands. The punt was meh at best and the true frosh missed a call from the sidelines that the other 10 men received without issue and blew a coverage resulting in good field position for TCU and their FG team. It was everything you could want from a conference rival game except... the win. Sucks but it is what it is.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong, but I think it was Joseph who failed to go into Cover 3 on the play that resulted in the 40 yd pass reception.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU got into FG range with 1:28 left. Your coach didn't call a single timeout, except to ice the kicker while having 3.

He put his faith in TCU's kicker, and the outcome was rather predictable.

Just my opinion on it.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong, but I think it was Joseph who failed to go into Cover 3 on the play that resulted in the 40 yd pass reception.

I thought the same thing but from the reports that I read Gibson eluded to Henry. Could be a mix up in the press and KJ may well be the guy but either way, one man missed the call and it cost us.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU got into FG range with 1:28 left. Your coach didn't call a single timeout, except to ice the kicker while having 3.

He put his faith in TCU's kicker, and the outcome was rather predictable.

Just my opinion on it.

I don't understand all this timeout talk at all, why call a time out and give their offense more time to drive deeper. They kicked the field goal on second down. Why would anyone call a timeout to stop the clock for them?

From ESPN Box score 2nd and 8 at WVU 20Jaden Oberkrom 37 Yd Field Goal3130 End of 4th Quarter

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand all this timeout talk at all, why call a time out and give their offense more time to drive deeper. They kicked the field goal on second down. Why would anyone call a timeout to stop the clock for them?

From ESPN Box score 2nd and 8 at WVU 20Jaden Oberkrom 37 Yd Field Goal3130 End of 4th Quarter

Well if you have faith in your defense, then you hope to get a stop and then have enough time to go and kick your own FG for the win.

Your other fans say they put the faith in the defense, so I guess once they got into FG range the faith was no longer there? 1:28 is a long time in these situations and once in FG range it would have been TCU wanting to run the clock out to prevent WVU from having a chance after, not the other way around.

I'm surprised you guys aren't more frustrated. I only like WVU a little and I was frustrated by it all. Alabama fans would have been melting down. :lol:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was as frustrating a game as I've seen in a long time, WVU completely outplayed TCU, but couldn't hold onto the ball. The last three possessions were very much head scratchers, we run the smallest back on the team into the middle of the line over and over, then punt. I have no problem running the ball in that situation, Trickett was off his game, BUT either run the little guys outside to use their speed, or run your fullback if you think something is there in the middle. Even with the turnovers, the offensive meltdown in the 4th, WVU still had a lead, and what do we do? we switch from playing aggressive man to man defense to a zone that our dbs are not prepared to play. proving again that all the "prevent" defense does is prevent you from winning the game. The only positive I saw in this game was that even with the comedy of errors, we were in position to win. Pathetic all the way around, we heard how the cold would hurt TCU, but it hurt us more.......

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was as frustrating a game as I've seen in a long time, WVU completely outplayed TCU, but couldn't hold onto the ball. The last three possessions were very much head scratchers, we run the smallest back on the team into the middle of the line over and over, then punt. I have no problem running the ball in that situation, Trickett was off his game, BUT either run the little guys outside to use their speed, or run your fullback if you think something is there in the middle. Even with the turnovers, the offensive meltdown in the 4th, WVU still had a lead, and what do we do? we switch from playing aggressive man to man defense to a zone that our dbs are not prepared to play. proving again that all the "prevent" defense does is prevent you from winning the game. The only positive I saw in this game was that even with the comedy of errors, we were in position to win. Pathetic all the way around, we heard how the cold would hurt TCU, but it hurt us more.......

I gotta agree with Dad on this one. The last 3 possessions we went 3 and out. I also have no problem running the ball but for the life of me, I can't figure out why he didn't give the ball to Dreamius more. All we needed was probably one first down on our last possession and that may have won the game for us. Even a screen to Squirt or Smallwood and give them a chance to gain 5 or 6 yards.

I got to admit I was screaming about using the timeouts as well. At least give your defense a break and give them a chance to make a stop on 3rd down. I think they were really worn down because of the 3 consecutive 3 and outs by the offense.

These kind of losses hurt the most. When you know that you completely out played the other team but then turn around and beat yourself. There were a handful of bad calls by the officials but when you turn the ball over 5 times, it's hard to put the blame on anyone else but yourself.

space cat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
space cat

Holgerson blew it, i saw other recievers open many times during pass plays, but he only called "White" pass plays. Why dd Holgerson call run plays against a stacked defense on the last two drives??? wewere only up by two points, you could see the shock on Tricketts face at the ed of wvu's final possesion, when he got in Holersons face, threw his arms up in the air and asked him why we didnt go for points, Holgerson looked down at the ground in shame and embarassment, but Holgerson sure did look happy at the end of the game when he ran out and shook the hand of TCU's coach, Holgerson had a bigger smile on his face than the TCU coach did (on a more positive note, i am really impressed with how tuff WVU players were in the game and all season, i am really impressed with all of them)

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holgerson blew it, i saw other recievers open many times during pass plays, but he only called "White" pass plays. Why dd Holgerson call run plays against a stacked defense on the last two drives??? wewere only up by two points, you could see the shock on Tricketts face at the ed of wvu's final possesion, when he got in Holersons face, threw his arms up in the air and asked him why we didnt go for points, Holgerson looked down at the ground in shame and embarassment, but Holgerson sure did look happy at the end of the game when he ran out and shook the hand of TCU's coach, Holgerson had a bigger smile on his face than the TCU coach did (on a more positive note, i am really impressed with how tuff WVU players were in the game and all season, i am really impressed with all of them)

Is Holgorsen the QB? Who is responsible for finding open receivers? Who is responsible for locking in on White?

Clint is responsible for making a presnap read of the defense. He has a pass/run option on every play. He makes the call based on his read.

What you saw on WVU's last play was Clint's read...one Dana disagreed with.