• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

T-Rode's Unpopular Opinion - Session 1: BCS vs. CFP

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, if both teams are deserving to be in the playoff picture, which both Ohio State and Penn State were, I believe the team who wins their conference title SHOULD have the edge. I believe Georgia and Bama were pretty equal last year. I can't honestly say who was the better of the two.
All things were not equal, penn state wasn’t deserving. That isn’t even a real subjective take, show me teams who have gotten blown out in addition to losing to a G5 team that have gone on to be in the playoff or BCS title game. That’s a huge red flag that they probably aren’t a top 4 team.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already answered you. If Penn State didn't win the conference title, the committee got it right.
Right, that’s the point, you’re basing your 100% certain conclusion on something that is pretty meaningless, while ignoring two whole schedules’ worth of important factors.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, if both teams are deserving to be in the playoff picture, which both Ohio State and Penn State were, I believe the team who wins their conference title SHOULD have the edge. I believe Georgia and Bama were pretty equal last year. I can't honestly say who was the better of the two.
And according to what many like you want, Bama should have no shot at a title because they didn’t win their conference. Penn State and Ohio State were pretty even head to head but it’s not as easy to overlook a 39 point blowout as you want to make it seem.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things were not equal, penn state wasn’t deserving. That isn’t even a real subjective take, show me teams who have gotten blown out in addition to losing to a G5 team that have gone on to be in the playoff or BCS title game. That’s a huge red flag that they probably aren’t a top 4 team.

Penn State didn't lose to a G5 team. As bad as Pitt is, they are still a P5 team lol

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitt hasn’t been great, but they aren’t a G5 team.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And according to what many like you want, Bama should have no shot at a title because they didn’t win their conference. Penn State and Ohio State were pretty even head to head but it’s not as easy to overlook a 39 point blowout as you want to make it seem.

No, no, no, don't assume my opinion. The committee got it right last year, but I do think a valid and solid argument could've been made for Ohio State.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do appreciate that the year everyone wants to point to to criticize the committee both teams in question lost pretty convincingly (meaning one got shit out, one rallied back in the second half because USC sucks) in their bowl/playoff game. And the irony that it came up in a thread about the BCS, which would have produced the same result, being a better option than the committee isn’t lost.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do appreciate that the year everyone wants to point to to criticize the committee both teams in question lost pretty convincingly in their bowl/playoff game. And the irony that it came up in a thread about the BCS, which would have produced the same result, being a better option than the committee isn’t lost.

We can't all be right all the time like you, I suppose lol

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is opinion based. But even if we were to agree that it hasn't happened yet, that certainly doesn't mean it won't happen or that it can't happen.
So let’s fix a problem that hasn’t happened yet so we can replace it with a system that is worse than what we have now. Got it.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, we no longer need conferences in FBS football. They are irrelevant now.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me reiterate this again. Most sports in this country crown a "champion" based on some sort of tournament. That is NOT the same thing as crowning the "best team".

Most of the time the best team might win that tournament, but not always. And winning it doesn't mean you were better overall for that year than everyone else, it means you were last man standing. It's not the same thing.

Those stuck on wanting more teams are simply stuck in tournament mode. The problem is it doesn't work with this format. Crowning the best team is as close as you are going to get.

There are simply too many teams playing too few games with hardly any crossover and very imbalanced schedules within their own conferences to ever build a fair way to seed a big tournament.

And it really isn't necessary. What we have works. The criticism offered amounts to bitching over who gets seeded 3rd, 4th, and maybe 5th. Stop losing stupid games if you want a higher ranking. It's that easy.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let’s fix a problem that hasn’t happened yet so we can replace it with a system that is worse than what we have now. Got it.

Again, this is your opinion. I don't think it makes it worse at all.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shockingly, they got it right again....

crimsontater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you dont like the committee, send thank you cards to jim delaney. he would not go for a playoff without a selection committee.

my personal wish would have been to tweak the bcs and take the top 4. i was never comfortable with the "secret" computer systems. remove the harris poll, it was not conducive college football.

btw, ROLL TIDE!