• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

[Super Early] 2015 Rotation

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So next year we are supposed to get (possibly mid-season) Jarrod Parker and (likely mid-season) A.J. Griffin back from their Tommy John Surgeries. If you thought we have a bevy of starting pitching right now, take a look at who this means we will have next year:

Sonny Gray
Scott Kazmir
Jarrod Parker
Jesse Chavez
Drew Pomeranz
Tommy Milone
A.J. Griffin
Dan Straily

I feel like I'm still forgetting someone there. I guess you could add Josh Lindblom and Arnold Leon to that list, but their AAA stats really don't make it look like they have a chance to crack the roster. Even so, we have a list of 9 starting pitchers there, all of whom would likely be better than half of the #5 starters in the league at a bare minimum.

So how does this have anything to do with this year? Well, as much as Beane likes having starting pitching depth, can you see any scenario in which we trade one of these pitchers for a bat around the trade deadline? Beane did something similar when he traded Aaron Harang for Jose Guillen back in the day. If so, what position would we try to upgrade? It's not like we have Miguel Cabrera's bat at every position on the field, but I can't really see a lot of potential for improvement either. C, 1B, 3B, SS, LF and CF are as close to being set as you can get. That leaves RF, 2B and DH as potential upgrade options.

That said, I have a hard time seeing Beane trade for someone to replace Reddick, even though he has struggled at the plate, because he makes up for a lot with his defense.

We haven't had a full time DH since Frank Thomas and I can't see that changing due to the way we use the DH spot as a way to rest our top bats while still keeping them in the lineup.

That leaves 2B, which is currently a "platoon" of Sogard, Punto and Callaspo. Sogard currently gets most of the starts at 2B and is a pretty popular fan favorite, even though he doesn't swing a big bat. He plays hard and has very good defense. So even at 2B I have a hard time seeing any moves made.

What do you think? Does Beane trade away pitching depth for offense at some point this season? Or would he be more likely to hold on to all our pitchers or trade one for more prospects?