• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sunday could be coldest game in Soldier Field History

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Chicago+IL+USIL0225:1:US

Sunday - High of -1 and low of -14... winds at 13 MPH and gusting to 20-25. Windchill factor will be 20-30 below zero.

Good old fashioned Bears/Packers football. If you're going, layer the heck up.

Previous record was Bears/Pack in December of 2008. When kickoff temperature was at 2 degrees (-13 windchill). Breaking the previous record of 3 degrees (-25 windchill), from a Bears/Pack 1983 matchup. Bears have somehow escaped a kickoff temperature below zero all of these years, that could change Sunday.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sunday - High of -1 and low of -14... winds at 13 MPH and gusting to 20-25. Windchill factor will be 20-30 below zero.

Previous record was Bears/Pack in December of 2008. When kickoff temperature was at 2 degrees (-13 windchill). Breaking the previous record of 3 degrees (-25 windchill), from a Bears/Pack 1983 matchup. Bears have somehow escaped a kickoff temperature below zero all of these years, that could change Sunday.

I was at a night game in '05 against the Falcons that was perty fuckin' cold. I think it was like4 below with windchill.

My whole body ached the next day from hunkering down. Mind you, I live in NW MT, so I know cold, It's currently 11 degrees outside, but that lake effect is something.

I remember my beers being slushies and my wife ordering a bottled water, that was frozen solid in minutes.

I also recall Mike Vick seemingly going 3 and out on freaking purpose, just to get to the sideline and bundle up next to the heaters.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at a night game in '05 against the Falcons that was perty fuckin' cold. I think it was like4 below with windchill.

My whole body ached the next day from hunkering down. Mind you, I live in NW MT, so I know cold, It's currently 11 degrees outside, but that lake effect is something.

I remember my beers being slushies and my wife ordering a bottled water, that was frozen solid in minutes.

I also recall Mike Vick seemingly going 3 and out on freaking purpose, just to get to the sideline and bundle up next to the heaters.

Yup. I was at that same game. Utterly brutal man. My feet were frozen solid. I generally don't mind the cold, but that was completely brutal.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was there.........It was the very first game I had ever been to. I just remember sitting there and saying 'God I can not wait until this is over.........
And if I remember right,Bob Thomas won the game with a last second fg to win like 13-10......Something like that.
It was just down right miserable.........Not sure how anyone could actually take in a game like that.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was there.........It was the very first game I had ever been to. I just remember sitting there and saying 'God I can not wait until this is over.........
And if I remember right,Bob Thomas won the game with a last second fg to win like 13-10......Something like that.
It was just down right miserable.........Not sure how anyone could actually take in a game like that.

Yeah, I went to a lot of games in my teens when my dad had season tickets with his company. So, I learned how to deal with the cold early after a few brutal ones.

The biggest trick everyone plays on themselves is not realizing just how big of a difference is to be outside in the cold for 4-5 hours versus 15-20 minutes. You think to yourself; "Eh... I'll be fine. I walk to work in the city everyday in the bitter cold during winter."... Whole different ball game when your sitting still in it for hours and hours.

I always make sure that if anything, I over do it. Hand and feet warmers are key. When the toes/fingers start to go numb, you don't have long. It's a very fast demise. If you drink, a little dark liquor can help the cause a bit as well.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I went to a lot of games in my teens when my dad had season tickets with his company. So, I learned how to deal with the cold early after a few brutal ones.

The biggest trick everyone plays on themselves is not realizing just how big of a difference is to be outside in the cold for 4-5 hours versus 15-20 minutes. You think to yourself; "Eh... I'll be fine. I walk to work in the city everyday in the bitter cold during winter."... Whole different ball game when your sitting still in it for hours and hours.

I always make sure that if anything, I over do it. Hand and feet warmers are key. When the toes/fingers start to go numb, you don't have long. It's a very fast demise. If you drink, a little dark liquor can help the cause a bit as well.

I`m a roofer by trade..........I know cold.
I always work till X-mas,then 1/2 the time get January and Feb. off and come back march 1st..........last season I worked both those months.
It`s tough to wake up in the morn and see single digit temps with a high near 20........absolutely sucks!!
And yes Monday was my last day of work for the fact it was gonna be brutal........Same as next week too.
Most of the time a person can dress for the cold,but its the wind that's hard to dress for.

Btw...........Blackberry brandy was snuck into the game back in 83..........It helped.but not a much as wouyld`ve liked.lol

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I`m a roofer by trade..........I know cold.
I always work till X-mas,then 1/2 the time get January and Feb. off and come back march 1st..........last season I worked both those months.
It`s tough to wake up in the morn and see single digit temps with a high near 20........absolutely sucks!!
And yes Monday was my last day of work for the fact it was gonna be brutal........Same as next week too.
Most of the time a person can dress for the cold,but its the wind that's hard to dress for.

Btw...........Blackberry brandy was snuck into the game back in 83..........It helped.but not a much as wouyld`ve liked.lol

Ah, yes. I have multiple close friends who are roofers. They've worked in the city in the middle of winter. It does not sound like anything I wish to be apart of.

The cold games are a lot better when the Bears are good, lol. For instance, I've been to every playoff game since the turn of the millennium at Soldier Field. Those were never cold, despite snow and freezing temps.

However, I went to a game in 2008 versus Jacksonville in December. The Bears were actually solid that year and nearly won the division. The problem was the Jaguars were f'ing atrocious. Windchill was subzero, and the Bears won the most boring 20-3 football game of all-time. They were in "milk the clock" mode the entire second half, and Jacksonville couldn't get a first down. That wasn't even the coldest game I've been to, but it was utterly brutal due to the boredom.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have gone on record as saying I want this team to lose out, but dealing a death blow to the packers play off hopes would be pretty fucking awesome.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are talking here in Sterling at -30 wind chill on Sunday........Hmmm definetley will not be any better by the lake.

Just glad I won`t be there..........:thumb:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fk playing outdoors. I want to see players play but no one can in these conditions.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a chance to score free tickets on the 50 yard line. I understandably passed them up.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a chance to score free tickets on the 50 yard line. I understandably passed them up.

You pansie ass. :lol:

I've only been to Soldier Field once. Mentioned earlier. I'm on the West coast tho.

I would've gone. You just dress like yer going fucking snowmobiling er' skiing en shit, but with more appropraitely placed handwarmers. Forego yer style en sech.

The game I was at in '05 that was cold af....there was some young retarded couple that showed up midway thru the 2nd quarter, down a bit from us. They were wearing stylish coats en shit...both in jeans that were tight enough to tell they weren't wearing even thermals. They lasted til' halftime. Fucking dummies. It was 7 at kickoff, standing temp, with what was a mild wing, it was below zero. They were there for like 20 minutes!? lol

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bones are to damn old and brittle to be sitting there for 5 hours............that's including walking in and out after the game.

Call me a pansie,fair weathered or what you will,but there is one thing you can call me..........And that's warm.:lol:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, the one game I went to at Soldier Field was exactly 11 years ago today.