• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suh contract negotiations proceeding well

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will happen. Probably the reason they did not extend Fairly. Although I would have picked up the extra year anyway and then cut him loose if he does not live up to it.

Suh wants to be in Detroit. They will sign him.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't pick up Fairley's 5th year option at 5.5 mil guaranteed money. Wait and see what happens this year and how committed he really is. If he does break out this year and asks for a ridiculous amount in 2015 and beyond, Let Him Walk. He's been too inconsistent going all the way back to his 1st year on-campus at Auburn.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talks/negotiations characterized as "civil and productive side of the spectrum" doesn't ring of progress to me. It rings of, 'we were able to sit at the table without throwing down.'

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talks/negotiations characterized as "civil and productive side of the spectrum" doesn't ring of progress to me. It rings of, 'we were able to sit at the table without throwing down.'

Here's some comments from Lewand about a month ago:

Suh will cost the Lions $22.4 million in salary cap space in 2014 and can become a free agent in 2015, and despite negotiations being in their infant stage Lewand said Monday night the process hasn’t been frustrating.

“Not at all,” he said at MGM Grand Detroit’s TAP Sports Bar. “Not at all. Not in the least. I’ve said it all along. It’s not been frustrating. We said it months ago. We didn’t have a deal done with (quarterback) Matthew Stafford until later on in the summer (in 2013). The timing of the Suh deal was never the factor when it came time for free agency.”

"Ndamukong has said he wants to stay, and we want Ndamukong to stay," Lewand said. "Generally when you have those things in place, you can get a deal done. When that happens and for how much, remains to be seen."

And here are some recent comments:

Lewand reiterated Suh has made it known to the organization he wants to re-sign and the organization wants that too, obviously.

“It’s been my experience over the years that when a player says he wants to be here, and we indicate we want to keep him around, we have a good track record of finding success,” Lewand said.

“When that happens? I don’t know and it doesn’t really matter. The timing is less important than the outcome as long as the outcome is right for Ndamukong and us. Then I think he can be a part of our core for a long time.”

Doesn't sound negative at all to me. Sounds like they're simply "in negotiations". Each side has an idea of what they want, these things don't always get hashed out immediately.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really worth a thumbs down? Funny. The quote was from Lewand's mouth. When a negotiation is described as civil, it's not necessarily negative, but it's certainly not an indication of any progress. That's all. They have a ways to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really worth a thumbs down? Funny. The quote was from Lewand's mouth. When a negotiation is described as civil, it's not necessarily negative, but it's certainly not an indication of any progress. That's all. They have a ways to go.

The thumbs down is the easy way of disagreeing with it. Just like a thumbs up is the easy way to agree. Don't get all bent out of shape. I simply don't think it rang what you thought it rang. Nothing more, nothing less.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you're mean, Micro. I only ever do thumbs-up. It's because I'm nicer than you - ask anybody. Well, maybe not anybody.

As Long as Suh is happy being the highest-paid DT in the league by 25-30% I'd be happy with an extension. If he wants to be the highest-paid defender in the league, not so much. The tone of the quote suggests the two sides are reasonably close, or Lewand would just say nothing.