• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stopping Power of different calibers

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very interesting reed.

A couple things I took out of it. .22 had good numbers and I attribute that to the non kicking of the gun. It is easy to operate and 22's are accurate rounds in general. Also I believe that most people when shot will stop their attack and go on the defensive. So how does that relate to the stopping power as discussed.

9mm is a good round. 9mm in target loads in your CCW is just dumb. People do it because it is fairly cheap. I carry Hornady critical defense in my 9mm and I am pretty confident that what I hit will be stopped.

Another factor also is that most yahoo's who dont know much about guns go to a gun store and see the cool looking autos. 9 mil is attractive cause it comes in many shapes and sizes.

Pretty good read though and I honestly as someone who shoots a lot I would not be uncomfortable with any one of the calipers listed. You need to hit your target is basically the rule of thumb. My fear is always multiple targets and that is why I go to my 15 round pre ban high cap mag.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very interesting reed.

A couple things I took out of it. .22 had good numbers and I attribute that to the non kicking of the gun. It is easy to operate and 22's are accurate rounds in general. Also I believe that most people when shot will stop their attack and go on the defensive. So how does that relate to the stopping power as discussed.

9mm is a good round. 9mm in target loads in your CCW is just dumb. People do it because it is fairly cheap. I carry Hornady critical defense in my 9mm and I am pretty confident that what I hit will be stopped.

Another factor also is that most yahoo's who dont know much about guns go to a gun store and see the cool looking autos. 9 mil is attractive cause it comes in many shapes and sizes.

Pretty good read though and I honestly as someone who shoots a lot I would not be uncomfortable with any one of the calipers listed. You need to hit your target is basically the rule of thumb. My fear is always multiple targets and that is why I go to my 15 round pre ban high cap mag.

i never did understand the concept of using cheap match ammo for self defense

my life is worth as much to me as the most expensive defense ammo i can find

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very interesting reed.

Same here, that shit's pretty damn nasty on impact. Someone would have to be extremely damned determined to keep going after getting hit with one of those.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here, that shit's pretty damn nasty on impact. Someone would have to be extremely damned determined to keep going after getting hit with one of those.

Thats why I want 15 rounds :)

I dont give a crap who you are but after 15 rounds of Hollow points and maybe only 10 hit you will not be moving forward to me anymore!!!

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont give a crap who you are but after 15 rounds of Hollow points and maybe only 10 hit you will not be moving forward to me anymore!!!

Troof. My CCW is a 7+1 (Kel Tec Pf-9) which I take full advantage of the 8 rd. capacity being a DAO and all. I wouldn't mind more rounds but I figure if I can't get it done in 8 shots of Horandy Critical Defense I'm fucked anyway. You can never have too many chances though.

I actually really like the PF-9 btw, has been flawless so far and is about as small and easily concealed of a 9mm as they make. It's "snappy" as shit though, gotta pay special attention to not limp wrist it and you're golden.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok...if any of you ever HAVE to shoot...you will be lucky to get 3 rounds off with your head together...if you shoot more than 3 your shooting out of panic and fear...let alone 15...but Critical defense by Hornady is insanely good...and 1 box will last you a life time...since you will never shoot at ANYONE that many times...

Get 1 box of the best ammo you can find...if its truly about defense...one box should last you a lifetime or quit doing whatever it is that you do to go through more than one box because its wrong, lol.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok...if any of you ever HAVE to shoot...you will be lucky to get 3 rounds off with your head together...if you shoot more than 3 your shooting out of panic and fear...let alone 15...but Critical defense by Hornady is insanely good...and 1 box will last you a life time...since you will never shoot at ANYONE that many times...

Get 1 box of the best ammo you can find...if its truly about defense...one box should last you a lifetime or quit doing whatever it is that you do to go through more than one box because its wrong, lol.
Yeah, and if you're shooting 15 rounds and hitting with 10, 33% of your shots are missing your intended target and heading for someone who doesn't deserve to die.

A lot of these stopping power debates just turn into arguing over what people like the best anyway. Most of the participants have never been shot, and listening to people who have been shot, or even just grazed, they say a .22 will take some serious fight out of you.

Basically just carry what you can shoot the best.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and if you're shooting 15 rounds and hitting with 10, 33% of your shots are missing your intended target and heading for someone who doesn't deserve to die.

A lot of these stopping power debates just turn into arguing over what people like the best anyway. Most of the participants have never been shot, and listening to people who have been shot, or even just grazed, they say a .22 will take some serious fight out of you.

Basically just carry what you can shoot the best.

agree with that...but also use the best ammo available for your choice...because if you do have the rare reason to actually shoot it...your absolutely correct 10 out of 15 hits actually would be an amazing ratio....1 to 3 out of 10 is more likely if your moving for cover or safety...nobody is going to let you steady yourself to get 10 shots into them..its not a range.

One other tip I learned from an army close combat trainer...hold your pistol sideways, like gangsters in movies (his words not mine, lol) and aim at the crotch or belt...there is a tendancy to pull to the right for right hander (left for left) and if you pull it, you will still hit them in vitals....not in the arm...

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very interesting reed.

I agree, I have a .22 myself, got a friend with a 9mm that tells me I got a weak gun. I tell him I could aim way better with my .22 than he could with his 9mm and I could also fire more shots, also pretty sure a .22 is more than enough to take an intruder down. From my experiences, people who feel the need for a high caliber gun are often compensating for their inadequacies. Not sayin' this applies to everyone with a 9mm, but if you have a 9mm and look down on people with .22's then you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The .22's are the most practical way to go, they cost less, the ammo costs less, and it's easy to operate. I'm all about the .22's.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I have a .22 myself, got a friend with a 9mm that tells me I got a weak gun. I tell him I could aim way better with my .22 than he could with his 9mm and I could also fire more shots, also pretty sure a .22 is more than enough to take an intruder down. From my experiences, people who feel the need for a high caliber gun are often compensating for their inadequacies. Not sayin' this applies to everyone with a 9mm, but if you have a 9mm and look down on people with .22's then you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The .22's are the most practical way to go, they cost less, the ammo costs less, and it's easy to operate. I'm all about the .22's.

My buddy carries a Walther P22. I have no issues with what anyone carries. I think it should be on the person and what they feel comfortable with. If that is a 22 then IMO they are better off then not having anything but a cell phone.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My buddy carries a Walther P22. I have no issues with what anyone carries. I think it should be on the person and what they feel comfortable with. If that is a 22 then IMO they are better off then not having anything but a cell phone.

Exactly, I certainly wouldn't want to be hit with a .22. In fact, this could be internet rumor, but I read somewhere that the .22 is actually responsible for causing some of the most deaths in the US as far as an individual caliber.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, I certainly wouldn't want to be hit with a .22. In fact, this could be internet rumor, but I read somewhere that the .22 is actually responsible for causing some of the most deaths in the US as far as an individual caliber.

I wouldn't doubt that, it's the most common caliber. I don't think it's necessarily anymore deadly than a higher caliber but just so common.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no problem with what gun someone feels comfortable with either, I just find it funny when people with higher caliber guns look down on lower caliber guns. As if a .22 is like a spitball or something.