• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stevie Y to Tampa

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have been talking about that on a local sports talk radio.
There is speculation that the offer will make him the highest paid hockey exec.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have been talking about that on a local sports talk radio.
There is speculation that the offer will make him the highest paid hockey exec.

Good for him post. He deserves a shot and will probably be successful. He was my 2nd favorite player ever behind 66 of course so i am happy for him.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure he deserves that kind of money if true.
He knows that it will take awhile to get that opportunity in Detroit so hopefully he gets some hands on experience now and ends up coming back to Detroit when the position opens up for him.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the one hand, making a guy who has never run a team the highest paid exec in history sounds being set up for failure...

On the other hand, we are talking about one of the most respected players to ever lace up the skates. When your boss is Steve Yzerman, you listen to what he has to say in regards to hockey. Also, the spent over a decade learning from Scotty Bowman on the bench, and almost four years working along side one of the best management teams in the NHL.

It's going to feel really weird not seeing Yzerman employed in Hockeytown, but I wish him the best. The Lightning may have just become my second favorite team.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, I'm guessing all the Red Wings fans that booed Hossa for not taking a "hometown discount" are really going to let Yzerman have it when he comes to town, eh? What a turncoat!

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, I'm guessing all the Red Wings fans that booed Hossa for not taking a "hometown discount" are really going to let Yzerman have it when he comes to town, eh? What a turncoat!

nah, i look at it as a perfect chance to get some quality experience at the highest level before eventually taking over in Detroit...let him learn with someone else's team ;)

....and for the record, I've never booed Hossa for leaving the Wings or the Pens (I'm such a great human being:D):D

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see who Stevie Y brings in as his coach of the Bolts. Does he bring in an experienced guy or somebody wet behind the ears? I'm thinking the latter (Cory Clouston type)

Edit: Does esls suggest Randy Cunneyworth in 5...4...3...2...1

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to throw out a weird suggestion... Igor Larionov..

Hard to go wrong with 'The Professor', but I see him almost like Gretzky (hard to teach what comes as second nature). I have a feeling Bykov may be looking for work, though :)

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I loved Stevie Y as a player, but we'll see what he has in the GM role.
Picking allstars for the Olympics, etc (with a team of co-experts) is an entirely different ballgame than putting together a team under the constraints of a salary cap, an indifferent market, headcase (or changing) ownership, etc.
From a few people I know who have met him, he often doesn't come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer (I was surprised to hear that).

However, a roster with Stamkos, Lecavalier, St Louis is a heck of place to start. Hopefully he can light a fire under Vinny.

best of luck to him, I hope he can surround himself with good people.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully his first move will be to trade Dustin Tokarski to the Sharks. :D

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance to pry Jim Nill out of Detroit, is there? He's an Alberta boy, maybe he'd like to come back home and sit in the big chair...

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
No chance to pry Jim Nill out of Detroit, is there? He's an Alberta boy, maybe he'd like to come back home and sit in the big chair...

blasphemy :)
jimnill.jpg

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This will be a good test for him. Like Puck said, this ain't picking an all star roster. I do belive though that he has enough people to lean on for advice that he probably won't be a bust. You gotta remember that Steve Yzerman the Player didn't break through to greatness until he had the right people in his ear.

KindaChang

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Didn't boo Hossa. Only players I booed when they came back were Federov and (from the Pistons to the Bulls) Ben Wallace. Federov because he was a lazy candy-ass who complained about having to skate in the third period with a lead and Ben Wallace because he said he would take a pay cut to stay with the Pistons and then left for more money.

Anyway, good for Yzerman. Time to put to use what he's learned.

The Soggy one

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
dont really like seeing stevie leave the organization, but hopefully he does well and returns when its time