• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steelers Give 4 Year Extension to Vince Williams

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a punk

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely an overpay... huge win for Williams in that he's cashing in on 8 sacks and the fact the Steelers have major holes at LBer with Shazier gone for now. Williams can get SOME pressure but he's not good at stopping the run or covering... so he's a liability unless he's going after the QB. It's not like he's 24 or something either... we're probably seeing the peak of his career at the moment.

Course a lot of it depends on guaranteed since he's only due $2M this year with a minor cap hit... if the guaranteed is super low they can always cut him next year... but again, what's the point?

Definitely in the F-D range. Seems like a desperate move by the Steelers. I'd get if they were overpaying for an above average or even average player given Ben's time is limited, but Williams isn't even that good, so why? And Pittsburgh led the league in sacks last year - granted Williams was 8 of them... but losing let's say even 6 sacks to find someone more serviceable in the cover/run game is a MUCH better trade off.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree hes fairly decent and that contract isnt much

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely an overpay... huge win for Williams in that he's cashing in on 8 sacks and the fact the Steelers have major holes at LBer with Shazier gone for now. Williams can get SOME pressure but he's not good at stopping the run or covering... so he's a liability unless he's going after the QB. It's not like he's 24 or something either... we're probably seeing the peak of his career at the moment.

Course a lot of it depends on guaranteed since he's only due $2M this year with a minor cap hit... if the guaranteed is super low they can always cut him next year... but again, what's the point?

Definitely in the F-D range. Seems like a desperate move by the Steelers. I'd get if they were overpaying for an above average or even average player given Ben's time is limited, but Williams isn't even that good, so why? And Pittsburgh led the league in sacks last year - granted Williams was 8 of them... but losing let's say even 6 sacks to find someone more serviceable in the cover/run game is a MUCH better trade off.

Yeah, always good to hear an outsider POV, but I disagree with this as well, at least the overpay/desperate part

Bell they tried to overpay and couldn't, but this will be a market rate contract for a starting Buck ILB.

Not that good...if we were talking about the Mack ILB, I would agree, but as the Buck ILB...he's a starting caliber player. We in Steelernation would all liked to have signed a better Mack, but it didn't happen.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree hes fairly decent and that contract isnt much

I disagree that the player is 'fairly decent'. I think he's 'fairly mediocre', and the contract for the PLAYER IMO is quite a bit. The contract overall for the team is not going to cause any major issues down the road... but I'm still grading it as a contract per player. If he was 25-26, I'd bump it to a C or so, but given LBers are generally towards the top in injuries and he's approaching 29, I don't see the great value.

Obviously if someone throws $25M per at the best QB in the league, I'm not going to let that impact the grade much if any for an insane contract $.

But completely fine if you disagree. All opinion end of day and you guys certainly watch more of him than I do.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

None of this is true... None

Many people seem to think that V-Will isn't a quality starter, which is bullshit. His numbers don't lie. His pass rush productivity was phenomenal last season. He rushed the passer on 20% of passing snaps (4th highest at the position) and turned those opportunities into 8 sacks & 18 pressures which was 1st among all ILBs in the NFL. And for those that are concerned about his ability to cover the pass? Well he finished as the 4th lowest passer rating among ILBs when targeted in coverage. Case closed. He finished the '17 season as the 17th highest rated ILB in the NFL. That's fringe top 1/4 of the league!

I've been a huge fan of his since he was drafted. Not only has he become a reliable player, but he plays with a fiery tenacity & passion that few linebackers in the league can match. His athletic ability may be somewhat limited in comparison to, say, Shazier, but there's no doubt in my mind that V-Will is maximizing himself. And he is just getting into the prime of his career. I'm excited to see him continue to flourish.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vince Williams is basically Larry Foote. They just need the next Farrior.

Very happy with this move. Didn't break the bank, decent starter, special teams value and leadership. Lock down the one constant at the position while they can.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Many people seem to think that V-Will isn't a quality starter, which is bullshit. His numbers don't lie. His pass rush productivity was phenomenal last season. He rushed the passer on 20% of passing snaps (4th highest at the position) and turned those opportunities into 8 sacks & 18 pressures which was 1st among all ILBs in the NFL. And for those that are concerned about his ability to cover the pass? Well he finished as the 4th lowest passer rating among ILBs when targeted in coverage. Case closed. He finished the '17 season as the 17th highest rated ILB in the NFL. That's fringe top 1/4 of the league!

I've been a huge fan of his since he was drafted. Not only has he become a reliable player, but he plays with a fiery tenacity & passion that few linebackers in the league can match. His athletic ability may be somewhat limited in comparison to, say, Shazier, but there's no doubt in my mind that V-Will is maximizing himself. And he is just getting into the prime of his career. I'm excited to see him continue to flourish.

Spot on...And we already know the guaranteed money is not going to break the bank.

Vince is one of those players that if you don't see him every week, it's easy to overlook him or think this was an overpay situation.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on...And we already know the guaranteed money is not going to break the bank.

Vince is one of those players that if you don't see him every week, it's easy to overlook him or think this was an overpay situation.
Williams role is to be the rock on the inside but not be the stand out.

It's a role he does well and is being paid accordingly for

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright... we'll see how he does this season as a full time starter without Shazier. And nobody is questioning his ability to rush the passer. He does that well, although not the best in the league given the % he rushed.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Spotrac, Williams' new deal will place him in 16th amongst inside linebackers in terms of average annual salary, just below Kyle Van Noy at $5.88 million and ahead of Todd Davis at $5 million. For a proven starter, this is an absolute steal. Many of the players ahead of Williams earned bigger contracts by virtue of hitting the open market. A.J. Klein at $6 million per year, Danny Trevathan at $7 million per year, Avery Williamson at $7.5 million per year, DeMario Davis at $8 million per year and Anthony Hitchens at $9 million per year represent the spectrum of non-star linebackers in free agency.

Klein is a bad player, and he got more per year than Williams simply because 32 teams were able to bid on him. While some of those players are better than Williams, they are all more expensive due more to circumstance than talent. None of them are superstars, but if the Steelers had gone shopping for a linebacker in the free agent market, that is approximately what they would have found.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very happy with this move. Didn't break the bank, decent starter, special teams value and leadership. Lock down the one constant at the position while they can.

Williams role is to be the rock on the inside but not be the stand out.

It's a role he does well and is being paid accordingly for

WTF has gotten into you?!?! Not one but TWO thoughtful, intellectual posts... back to back?!?! Maybe these other Steelers fans on here are finally rubbing off on you!! :heh:

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this is 100% spot-on. Williams is...okay. he's a linebacker. he can sometimes lay the wood and hit guys hard. but he's not a game changer, not even a little bit.

meh.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sorry, i just don't see it. he just doesn't really impress me. he's alright, but nobody to write home about.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

true, very glad they didn't back up the brinks truck for him, that would've been very..."dolphinian" of the steelers.