• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars Viewing Order?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to think of a way to defend episodes I and II but yeah, the romance was horrible, the acting was horrible (though it's not really an issue with the actors and more with Lucas' directing), and it had racist aliens. I could go on. I would have to watch them again in order to think of anything at all.

Samuel L.... I mean Mace Windu was a great character.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to think of a way to defend episodes I and II but yeah, the romance was horrible, the acting was horrible (though it's not really an issue with the actors and more with Lucas' directing), and it had racist aliens. I could go on. I would have to watch them again in order to think of anything at all.

Samuel L.... I mean Mace Windu was a great character.
I just rewatched III earlier this week. I am not sure it is even worth a view as a flashback. It really is cringe-worthy.

I just can't imagine any logic in having droids communicate with each other audibly. That is simply moronic design. And then to make them all act like infantile class clowns?

And the Wookies doing the Tarzan scream AGAIN was painful.

While I am somewhat apologetic about Vander's howl at the end (there are actually some decent explanations for this on YouTube), his Frankenstein monster exit from the operating table was pretty bad.

I think I am reverting to a simplistic opinion for the order as...

Rogue
Hope
Empire
Jedi
Force

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just rewatched III earlier this week. I am not sure it is even worth a view as a flashback. It really is cringe-worthy.

I just can't imagine any logic in having droids communicate with each other audibly. That is simply moronic design. And then to make them all act like infantile class clowns?

And the Wookies doing the Tarzan scream AGAIN was painful.

While I am somewhat apologetic about Vander's howl at the end (there are actually some decent explanations for this on YouTube), his Frankenstein monster exit from the operating table was pretty bad.

I think I am reverting to a simplistic opinion for the order as...

Rogue
Hope
Empire
Jedi
Force

It is pretty cringe, I want to say the final battle in III makes it worth it but then it falls on it's face when the strongest jedi in the galaxy gets beat because he didn't "have the high ground". Adding real world strategy to samurai wizards is pretty damn dumb.

The scene where Anakin kills Windu and completes his fall to the dark side was pretty good. I like how they didn't make Anakin completely evil and tried to make you understand why he became a Sith, but that gets nullified a bit due to the romance between he and Padme feeling completely forced.

You may be right, there may not be a reason to watch III for someone new to the franchise.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is pretty cringe, I want to say the final battle in III makes it worth it but then it falls on it's face when the strongest jedi in the galaxy gets beat because he didn't "have the high ground". Adding real world strategy to samurai wizards is pretty damn dumb.

The scene where Anakin kills Windu and completes his fall to the dark side was pretty good. I like how they didn't make Anakin completely evil and tried to make you understand why he became a Sith, but that gets nullified a bit due to the romance between he and Padme feeling completely forced.

You may be right, there may not be a reason to watch III for someone new to the franchise.
Yup. I am fully of the opinion that I, II and III should be skipped until you have viewed the other 5 multiple times and simply want some light fare to pass the time. No reason to watch unless you are a major fanboy/girl. And even then...

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4,5,2,3,6,1,Solo,R1,7,8,9

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rogue One ---> New Hope ---> Empire Strikes Back ---> Return of the Jedi ---> Force Awakens --> The Last Jedi

Revenge of the Sith may be the best of prequel but Hayden Christensen was so bad that I still think it was a mediocre movies.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Not really related but also not worth its own topic so I'm putting it here)

Lol, mind blown

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Not really related but also not worth its own topic so I'm putting it here)

Lol, mind blown

Fucking pissed!

I can only give you 1 “winner” tag for this...

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the original trilogy in order.

throw the rest of the dvds in a pile.

light on fire.

enjoy something more entertaining than 98% of those movies

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You watch Star Wars (1977), followed by The Empire Strikes Back (1980), followed by Return of the Jedi (1983) and then NO MORE. The rest is a waste of time and cellulose. :2cents:

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only seen the first one, Phantom Menace. The pod racing was awesome. I wasn't really following closely, but was shocked when Natalie Portman reveiled herself to be Keira Knightley.

Other than that, it was pretty meh.

Are any of the other movies good?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing a chronological binge now. Finished 1 and 2. I think it is the first time I have seen either since I watched the animated stuff. The animated shows add a lot of context that almost makes them watchable.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after watching Rogue One, I have been thinking a lot about the ideal viewing order of the 8 movies.

Previous to Force Awakens, there were two accepted theories for viewing order...

Chronological (Ep I -> Ep II -> etc)
Release order (Ep IV -> Ep V -> etc)

I tended to subscribe to the "Release Order" theory. After all, the prequels were intended to be viewed knowing that Anakin was going to become Vader. And if you knew Vader was Luke's father, than the fight scene on Bespin would not have had the same weight. Also, if we had seen Yoda as a badass already, his introduction in Empire as a crazy hermit would not have had the same feel.

But where should Rogue One be placed in the binge order?

I see Rogue One as more of an extension of New Hope, not it's own movie. I think it should be the first movie shown.

But if you are showing the series to someone who was just rescued from the bottom of a rock pile, and knew nothing of the series, would Vader make any sense to them? Would his castle be too spoilery? Is it good enough to get them hooked on the universe, the way New Hope hooked everyone in?
85752a8c-ded4-45c7-9fbf-7bea0b15adca.jpg