• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford and our next GM

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too late for Calvin and Suh, but I'm excited to see what a new GM can do with and for Stafford. I think he's been held down by a poor GM and way too many busts. He hasn't had the greatest coaches around him either.

So for all the things to possibly be excited about with a new GM next year, seeing what someone other than Mayhew can do with Stafford is no.1 for me. And that includes deciding to keep him or not.

Calvin, I expect will be gone next year. New GM, could also mean new QB (as it often does).

A lot will depend on if the new GM likes any of the top QBs coming out next year.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the Bears beat you to the top qb in next years draft.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A new GM will not help Stafford. That's unless he can change his flawed mechanics. Y'all keep waiting for him to become something.

I keep hearing nothing but excuses. At best he becomes the best mediocre QB in the league one day. Woohoo!!

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A new GM will not help Stafford. That's unless he can change his flawed mechanics. Y'all keep waiting for him to become something.

I keep hearing nothing but excuses. At best he becomes the best mediocre QB in the league one day. Woohoo!!

Mechanics have absolutely nothing to do with Stafford's play or Win/Loss numbers. The biggest issue with Staff is that it takes him about a tenth of a second longer than it should to make the decision where he is going to throw the ball. I know a clown that had an ugly ass pigeon toed batting stance that tomahawked everything he could, ugly as shit. but ya know what?? The ball still jumped off his bat and went a long way, or hurt somebody. It isn't about mechanics as much as it is about results.

Look at Favre, never liked the guy, but he was one of the best ever. He had some very flawed mechanics as well. His feet were always all over the place and he always looked like a turtle when he threw the ball, his head sucked right into his shoulders. He was the same exact QB that Stafford is, big armed "gunslinger". He got a QB coach, that we all know too well, that helped him the way we hoped JB Cooter would Matt. They then put an O-line in front of him that kept him upright and in one piece(See consecutive games played streak).

We saw what Staff is capable of when he is protected(Pro Bowl) and has time to process. Yes I realize no blitzes/stunts.... The only question I have regarding Stafford is, is he coachable and willing to adjust?? If the answer is yes, let's get a coaching staff that understands they need to be willing to not only "coach" but adjust their plan around the abilities of the QB and add a GM that can find offensive lineman that know how to block.

Am I making excuses for #9? Nope, he has work to do too, but right now it is like having Rich Rod try to make Ryan Mallett a Spread Option QB. The system doesn't fit the personnel. We have a QB with a cannon of a right arm and the fastest, biggest freak of a WR in the NFL yet we run a check down passing scheme to little slot receivers and RB's. Or pound the middle of a weak O-line with a RB that closes his eyes and runs into the pile hoping he can throw his hands in the air and do a little "Hey Ho".

The window for this team is shrinking fast. If they can find the pieces on the two lines in the next off season, hang on to what we have and go like hell. IF we/they think this is still three or four years away from anything special, I say lets find somebody that wants to make a Hershal Walker like deal and send CJ off for a shot at a title now and add enough pics to fix the problems. If only draft pics could get us a new owner!!!!!!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mechanics have absolutely nothing to do with Stafford's play or Win/Loss numbers. The biggest issue with Staff is that it takes him about a tenth of a second longer than it should to make the decision where he is going to throw the ball. I know a clown that had an ugly ass pigeon toed batting stance that tomahawked everything he could, ugly as shit. but ya know what?? The ball still jumped off his bat and went a long way, or hurt somebody. It isn't about mechanics as much as it is about results.

Look at Favre, never liked the guy, but he was one of the best ever. He had some very flawed mechanics as well. His feet were always all over the place and he always looked like a turtle when he threw the ball, his head sucked right into his shoulders. He was the same exact QB that Stafford is, big armed "gunslinger". He got a QB coach, that we all know too well, that helped him the way we hoped JB Cooter would Matt. They then put an O-line in front of him that kept him upright and in one piece(See consecutive games played streak).

We saw what Staff is capable of when he is protected(Pro Bowl) and has time to process. Yes I realize no blitzes/stunts.... The only question I have regarding Stafford is, is he coachable and willing to adjust?? If the answer is yes, let's get a coaching staff that understands they need to be willing to not only "coach" but adjust their plan around the abilities of the QB and add a GM that can find offensive lineman that know how to block.

Am I making excuses for #9? Nope, he has work to do too, but right now it is like having Rich Rod try to make Ryan Mallett a Spread Option QB. The system doesn't fit the personnel. We have a QB with a cannon of a right arm and the fastest, biggest freak of a WR in the NFL yet we run a check down passing scheme to little slot receivers and RB's. Or pound the middle of a weak O-line with a RB that closes his eyes and runs into the pile hoping he can throw his hands in the air and do a little "Hey Ho".

The window for this team is shrinking fast. If they can find the pieces on the two lines in the next off season, hang on to what we have and go like hell. IF we/they think this is still three or four years away from anything special, I say lets find somebody that wants to make a Hershal Walker like deal and send CJ off for a shot at a title now and add enough pics to fix the problems. If only draft pics could get us a new owner!!!!!!

Window in Detroit was slammed shut the second Suh landed in Miami. Calvin will probably be gone next year.

I agree with a lot of your Stafford points. I think he'd have been a great QB for the Jets (and a lot of other teams not run by Matt Millen's understudy).

I'd like to see what a completely new staff could do with him. But often times a new GM means a new QB. I'm open to whatever.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Window in Detroit was slammed shut the second Suh landed in Miami

Yes -- we've all seen the effect Suh has on a franchise's success. He has really turned around the Dolphins defense with his presence.:L

I'm starting to think Levy is the one who made Suh look good in Detroit.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Chief602
Bro, yes I stood with my front foot pigeon toed. I also did it on every pitch. Why? Because it kept my front shoulder in and forced me to open my hips on my swing. It worked and was effective. Consistency is what paid off for me.

Matt does nothing the same. So when you say his mechanics are not flawed. You are correct, IMO he has none. The only time I see him look good is in hurry up. Why? Because he gets in a rhythm and usually repeats the same process over and over.

I have not made any negative posts on Matt this season. No need, they get rebutted with excuses. Yours was not a excuse, as you admit he needs work. You or any fan will never see those results. Him being the best QB this franchise has seen in fifty years does not mean I have to accept his play. Matt is for some reason the one Lion who you can't be scrutinized.

I'm done picking on him. It's insanity to think he will develop at this point in his career. This crow I'm supposed to eat one day will never be eaten.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes -- we've all seen the effect Suh has on a franchise's success. He has really turned around the Dolphins defense with his presence.:L

I'm starting to think Levy is the one who made Suh look good in Detroit.

Yes I'm seeing the effects every Lions game. You can keep this battle going with Rob. However if you think the Lions are better off without Suh, you're a fool.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I'm seeing the effects every Lions game. You can keep this battle going with Rob. However if you think the Lions are better off without Suh, you're a fool.

Short term -- absolutely the Lions miss Suh. Long term -- the Dolphins did us a HUGE favor, as there isn't a DT in the NFL worth 19 million a year. It is the exact reason why I said Suh should be kissing his agent after they announced the deal.

The Lions biggest fault in all this, outside of their kick the can approach in restructuring deals, is not being proactive and adding DT's in Suh and Fairley's last year with the team.

And IMO -- Detroit is missing Levy more than they are missing Suh.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TrustMeIamRight

I care less who they are missing more. At the moment both are gone and they suck balls.

Both sides of the shit storm were right and wrong all summer. A debate of Levy vs Suh is useless, as the only way to really know is seeing both play under Austin with the other missing. Not happening, so why argue opinions and assumptions?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a fool.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a fool.

Says the "knowledgeable" football fan who thought Miami would magically learn how to stop the run because they signed Suh. :pound:

I can't wait to pick out your avatar. I will get to laugh for many, many years to come.:suds:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the "knowledgeable" football fan who thought Miami would magically learn how to stop the run because they signed Suh. :pound:

I can't wait to pick out your avatar. I will get to laugh for many, many years to come.:suds:

I think you need to put up four to five different ones. Do a poll and see which people feel would bring the most humor.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you need to put up four to five different ones. Do a poll and see which people feel would bring the most humor.

I will definitely get the board involved. I'm sure people will come up with all kinds of good one's.