• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

St. John's / Steve Lavin

Stan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching this team closely for the past couple years I've come to the conclusion that Steve Lavin is a terrible coach. He has a talented group of players but they play street ball. Lavin runs no plays to the teams strengths. He has no clear player rotation. With his non-coaching, this team has no chance in the Big East. Very sad for such a storied program.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.....Steve Laving is why SJU has players.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he did an excellent job his first year. Been a little underwhelmed since then. However, they are much better than how he found them.

CardiacKemba

Born Sinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one ever said Lavin cant recruit, but its a little surprising to see them struggling...its a shame that St. Johns isnt a national power that city would really get behind them as soon as theyre worth a damn

Stan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. John's /Steve Lavin

All good points. Lavin is a great recruiter!! However he is a shortly coach. His offense runs no plays. It's a run and gun street ball game. Set up some plays for your big men and athletic players. Set up some double screens for your outside shooters. Get some kind of player rotation going. Putting players in for a minute here and there does nothing.

They should be a powerhouse. However with Lavin's coaching they are not going to fare well as the big east season gets underway. It's not due to lack of talent, it's due to bad coaching.

Fingers crossed that I'm wrong but I highly doubt it...

Stan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant shitty coach. Damn auto correct!

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant shitty coach. Damn auto correct!

:nod: I wondered what you meant by shortly. He did well in UCLA. But East Coast ball is a bit different. He took some chances with some of the recruits that didn't work out. So his first couple of classes were not as good as originally posted.

I'd have no problem giving him a few more years to get his personnel and systems in place. I think the man will adjust and be fine.

Stan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonvi,

You're kidding yourself. Labin has the worst player management I've ever seen from a division 1 coach. He has no offensive plays drawn. If Harrison wasn't a take charge player the would be terrible. He brought in a major 3 point shooter and doesn't run plays for him. He has athletic players like Greene, Sampson and Pointer and doesn't use them well.

Georgetown is going to blow them out of the water. Providence, Xavier and even Seton Hall could run the, off the court.

It's sad for such a storied program.

Stan

CardiacKemba

Born Sinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watched this game today...Xavier is not a strong team this year and they looked like the better team after initially struggling out of the gate. It was said earlier in this thread, St. John's looks like they're playing streetball out there..no flow, no rhythm.

Stan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watched this game today...Xavier is not a strong team this year and they looked like the better team after initially struggling out of the gate. It was said earlier in this thread, St. John's looks like they're playing streetball out there..no flow, no rhythm.

CardiscKemba,

You are 100% right. Talented team. Bad coach.

Stan

Stan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone give St. John's chance today vs Georgetown?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
st johns teams since he got there has been a bunch of athletic freaks. until this yr, they have had no one that can make a shot from outside 5 ft.

Stan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Podsox,
Exactly! Lavin loves these athletic types who sometimes can't even shoot. Perfect example is Felix Balamou. Started off the year as a red shirt and sat out half the season. He brings him back and starts him. Great athletic kid coming back from an injury had a great drive into the paint against Georgetown but missed the easy jumper. He can't shoot. Rasheed Jordan, a freshman, needs a leash on him. He is a ball hog.

Lavin played 11 players vs Georgetown. The last of the 11 in the game about 1 minute left in the first half, when the game was already over, was MaxHooper the Harvard transfer. He went 4 of 5 from 3 point range in the 2nd half. On the teams summer trip to Europe there was a game where Hooper hit ten (10) 3 pointers in one game yet Lavin hardly plays him. On top of that, when he does play him he doesn't run plays for him! The announcers on fox sports 1 were yelling for St. John's to get him the ball when he was open!

Lastly Jakarr Sampson last years Big East rookie of the year. He has so much talent yet Lavin doesn't showcase him.

If Harrison wasn't as aggressive as he is this team would get blown out every night!

Stan