• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring training 2018

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously...

I know ST numbers mean jack shit, but he is looking atrocious. Anyone actually watching him? Is he just working on a single pitch? Is he ignoring the game situation to work on a specific aspect?

I'm not sure if he's trying something new or not, but he's likely safe.

I personally just don't think very highly of him. Even after coming over to the Giants, he was just okay. And he's getting paid like a premium reliever, which is isn't. I was hoping the Giants would cut ties with him, and they still can technically and save money. But that's a long-shot given their history.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Samardzija's numbers are almost as bad. Let's replace him with Derek Holland.

In all seriousness, Dyson's numbers look awful. He's given up 4 home runs in 6 innings (along with another 9 hits and 3 walks), but other than strikeouts, Fernandez' numbers aren't that different from Dyson.
I think that Dyson is safe, for now. I would guess his leash will be short if he continues that awfulness into the season and it may push the FO to consider 13 pitchers. But would the Giants really carry 4 lefties in the bullpen once Smith comes back (Holland, Osich, Smith and Watson, assuming Dyson becomes the casualty)?

I get the sentiment, really. In my opinion there's long-term upside, though, in keeping Fernandez over Dyson. Dyson is a low-strikeout reliever with terrible command. At least with Fernandez it's probably an average strikeout guy with terrible command, but upside for much greater.

IDK, this is all probably a wash though and my bias is clouding my vision. Last three games, though, for Fernandez: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K. He also inherited a runner (from Dyson) and didn't let him score.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the sentiment, really. In my opinion there's long-term upside, though, in keeping Fernandez over Dyson. Dyson is a low-strikeout reliever with terrible command. At least with Fernandez it's probably an average strikeout guy with terrible command, but upside for much greater.

IDK, this is all probably a wash though and my bias is clouding my vision. Last three games, though, for Fernandez: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K. He also inherited a runner (from Dyson) and didn't let him score.
I'm trying to view Fernandez how I perceive the Giants are operating this year. They pushed hard to make this roster veteran laden, with the intent to win now. A roster like that doesn't give for luxuries such as carrying a high upside reliever that may not be ready for the big leagues yet. However, maybe he gets a shot if he continues to pitch well. But I just don't think, with the age of the outfield and the injury prone infield that the Giants go with a short bench and that, combined with the veteran Holland and the dominance of Osich, I see little chance of Fernandez making it. Dyson is really the only reliever that has struggled in spring, and all the other guys seem healthy, so Fernandez will be here as long as possible, and the Giants may try to work out a deal for Fernandez, but I really don't think he'll make it to Opening Day.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to view Fernandez how I perceive the Giants are operating this year. They pushed hard to make this roster veteran laden, with the intent to win now. A roster like that doesn't give for luxuries such as carrying a high upside reliever that may not be ready for the big leagues yet. However, maybe he gets a shot if he continues to pitch well. But I just don't think, with the age of the outfield and the injury prone infield that the Giants go with a short bench and that, combined with the veteran Holland and the dominance of Osich, I see little chance of Fernandez making it. Dyson is really the only reliever that has struggled in spring, and all the other guys seem healthy, so Fernandez will be here as long as possible, and the Giants may try to work out a deal for Fernandez, but I really don't think he'll make it to Opening Day.

Yeah I get that the chances are very low, especially considering it's the Giants and not the Padres or something, I'm just saying that it's what I would do. I've never really thought highly of Dyson (didn't mind when we got him because hey why not, we were shitty anyway), and I just don't think he's going to be all that effective in the role that Bochy is going to put him in. I think the Giants would be better off everyone moving up a step and hanging onto Fernandez than have Dyson be the guy pitching in high-leverage spots.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I get that the chances are very low, especially considering it's the Giants and not the Padres or something, I'm just saying that it's what I would do. I've never really thought highly of Dyson (didn't mind when we got him because hey why not, we were shitty anyway), and I just don't think he's going to be all that effective in the role that Bochy is going to put him in. I think the Giants would be better off everyone moving up a step and hanging onto Fernandez than have Dyson be the guy pitching in high-leverage spots.
That I understand. It would be nice if the Giants put some emphasis on carrying some younger players while also trying to contend. I'd rather see Mac Williamson on the club too and he is not that young. Hopefully, the Giants will at least try to work out a trade with the Rockies to keep Fernandez and put him either in San Jose or Richmond.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That I understand. It would be nice if the Giants put some emphasis on carrying some younger players while also trying to contend. I'd rather see Mac Williamson on the club too and he is not that young. Hopefully, the Giants will at least try to work out a trade with the Rockies to keep Fernandez and put him either in San Jose or Richmond.
The Rox have zero incentive to make a trade, though. If they like the kid, they just need to sit back.

The best outcome, I think, is to try to trade him to a different team and try to get SOMETHING.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rox have zero incentive to make a trade, though. If they like the kid, they just need to sit back.

The best outcome, I think, is to try to trade him to a different team and try to get SOMETHING.

This is my thought too. There just isn't much history of teams trading for a rule 5 guy to keep him, the last one I found was the Giants receiving Edwin Escobar and allow the Rangers to keep Ben Snyder.

I can't think that any trade would be that substantial, but then again there isn't much history there and the Rockies aren't going to do the Giants any favors.

As for trading him off, that is more common.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My WAG is that they start the season with Shark on the DL and keep Fernandez for a week or two.

Also this just in: Holland's nickname is "Holly" according to Boch. I prefer Dutch, but defer to the large cranium.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My WAG is that they start the season with Shark on the DL and keep Fernandez for a week or two.

Also this just in: Holland's nickname is "Holly" according to Boch. I prefer Dutch, but defer to the large cranium.
Didn't know Samardzija was dealing with any issues, but not surprised considering his output in spring.

Hey, for Holland, you could compromise and called him Holly Dutch.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't know Samardzija was dealing with any issues, but not surprised considering his output in spring.

Hey, for Holland, you could compromise and called him Holly Dutch.
This morning, an article on sfgiants.com was stating that there weren't any known injuries but the Giants were concerned about his outings. Now . . .

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This morning, an article on sfgiants.com was stating that there weren't any known injuries but the Giants were concerned about his outings. Now . . .
Per MLBTR, he is expected to start the season in the DL.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently, not a shoulder but rather his pec.

Kinda good news. I guess Holly slots in third, followed by Blach and Strat.

If that's the only significant injury this Spring, we're doing ok.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting the season with 3 lefties in the rotation is a bit heavy for my tastes, but it will have to do.

I am more concerned about only having 2 solid starters of 5.

I am very sheepish with my excitement about this season...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting the season with 3 lefties in the rotation is a bit heavy for my tastes, but it will have to do.

I am more concerned about only having 2 solid starters of 5.

I am very sheepish with my excitement about this season...
giphy.gif

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with Shark on the DL, does that save Fernandez, for a time at least?

Bum, Cueto, Holland, Stratton, Blach

Melancon, Strickland, Dyson, Watson, Osich, Gearrin, Fernandez

Posey, Belt, Panik, Crawford, Longoria, Pence, Jackson, McCutchen

Hundley, Savdoval, Tomlinson/Rutledge, Blanco, Parker

Andres Blanco was just released, BTW.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early reports are that it hit him on the palm of his hand and there is no break. Basically, best case scenario.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fernandez comes in with the bases loaded and strikes out the batter and cleans up Melancon's mess

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaun Anderson is going to start for the Giants tomorrow against the River Cats. I'm excited for that one