• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spread offenses that really spread…

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to be the first to admit, I did not see a season like last year's coming. I truly believed the next guy in line would get plugged into Dana's system, and the kids would continue putting up Playstation numbers.

I was reading a column in today's Dominion Post concerning Dawson's simplifying of the offense this year. Seems to be the trend for the WVU football team…

A stat from the column jumped out at me. WVU's offense had 4,932 yds last year. They averaged 26.3 points/gm.

No wonder most WVU fans hated Mullens' offense while he was the OC. His offenses failed to beat either of those stats during his 3 yrs at WVU.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to be the first to admit, I did not see a season like last year's coming. I truly believed the next guy in line would get plugged into Dana's system, and the kids would continue putting up Playstation numbers.

I was reading a column in today's Dominion Post concerning Dawson's simplifying of the offense this year. Seems to be the trend for the WVU football team…

A stat from the column jumped out at me. WVU's offense had 4,932 yds last year. They averaged 26.3 points/gm.

No wonder most WVU fans hated Mullens' offense while he was the OC. His offenses failed to beat either of those stats during his 3 yrs at WVU.

I'll take wins over stats ANY day!!! WVU has had the worst defense in our history the last two years, negating those pretty good offensive numbers.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the things that get written in the offseason amaze me.

I was expecting t see a column of how an offense spreads out the defense. His theory is that solo tackes equate to being spread out, I do not agree. Teams that play man coverage are going to be more likely to have 1 on 1s and make solo tackles. Zones allow for more players to converge.

We could use these stats to show what teams have players who cannot beat the first tackle, or we could use them to show what teams are the best tacklers. Too many factors go into that stat and to come to the conclusion that it is because of spread offenses is a far stretch.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the things that get written in the offseason amaze me.

I was expecting t see a column of how an offense spreads out the defense. His theory is that solo tackes equate to being spread out, I do not agree. Teams that play man coverage are going to be more likely to have 1 on 1s and make solo tackles. Zones allow for more players to converge.

We could use these stats to show what teams have players who cannot beat the first tackle, or we could use them to show what teams are the best tacklers. Too many factors go into that stat and to come to the conclusion that it is because of spread offenses is a far stretch.

I'm not sure that's how the author is interpreting this stat.

The biggest advantage to playing spread is to create the one on one situations. When Rich Rod was here, he spoke often about making the defender tackle in space. It now has become the cliche used most often by the announcers during broadcasts involving spread attacks.

Even if you are in zone, it gets down to one on one in most circumstances.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take wins over stats ANY day!!! WVU has had the worst defense in our history the last two years, negating those pretty good offensive numbers.

Yep… me too.

WVU probably would have won a few more games the past two seasons had its defense played better.

And, WVU should have won a few more games from '08 - '10 had the offense played better against weaker competition.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep… me too.

WVU probably would have won a few more games the past two seasons had its defense played better.

And, WVU should have won a few more games from '08 - '10 had the offense played better against weaker competition.

:agree:Could you imagine the team if we could combine the 2012 offense and the 2010 defense? talk about wins.
By the way, in 2008 the offense scored 24.5 and the defense gave up 17, a 7 point margin, 2009 offense scored 26.2, defense gave 21.7, a 5 point average, in 2010 the offense scored 25.2 and the defense gave up 13.5 12 point average margin, 2011, 37.6, 26.8, 11 point winning margin, 2012 39.5, 38.1, a ONE point margin of victory, 2013 26.3, 33.3, a NEGATIVE 7 point winning margin.

Defense under Holgorsen has been MUCH worse than offense was under Stewart, I see another trend there too, the team has gotten worse each of the last three years.
I hope what we read about conditioning is true, PLUS stamina, not just strength needs to be worked on, benching 1000 pounds means nothing if the kid is so muscle bound that he cant run.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:Could you imagine the team if we could combine the 2012 offense and the 2010 defense? talk about wins.
By the way, in 2008 the offense scored 24.5 and the defense gave up 17, a 7 point margin, 2009 offense scored 26.2, defense gave 21.7, a 5 point average, in 2010 the offense scored 25.2 and the defense gave up 13.5 12 point average margin, 2011, 37.6, 26.8, 11 point winning margin, 2012 39.5, 38.1, a ONE point margin of victory, 2013 26.3, 33.3, a NEGATIVE 7 point winning margin.

Defense under Holgorsen has been MUCH worse than offense was under Stewart, I see another trend there too, the team has gotten worse each of the last three years.
I hope what we read about conditioning is true, PLUS stamina, not just strength needs to be worked on, benching 1000 pounds means nothing if the kid is so muscle bound that he cant run.

If is the biggest word in sports.

If WVU's defense makes but 3 plays in 2012, the team finishes the regular season 10-2.

If WVU's defense makes but 3 plays in 2013, the team finishes the regular season 7-4.

6 plays…

But, make no mistake… the young… inexperienced defense has struggled against some great competition. They will get better. I expect to see similar improvement as Baylor's. Once the young 'uns grew up, they looked pretty good.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If is the biggest word in sports.

If WVU's defense makes but 3 plays in 2012, the team finishes the regular season 10-2.

If WVU's defense makes but 3 plays in 2013, the team finishes the regular season 7-4.

6 plays…

But, make no mistake… the young… inexperienced defense has struggled against some great competition. They will get better. I expect to see similar improvement as Baylor's. Once the young 'uns grew up, they looked pretty good.

I hate to say it, because the backlash will come, but the 2010 team was THREE plays from 12-0 going into bowl season. Including what would have been a signature win at LSU.

WVU had three 20+ point losses in 2012, so I think you meant 9-3, thinking we would have beat OU and TCU, there could have been no way you could think that we could have beaten TT, KSU or OSU based on just a few plays.

2013, three plays would have swung four games?, I think you meant 7-5.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it, because the backlash will come, but the 2010 team was THREE plays from 12-0 going into bowl season. Including what would have been a signature win at LSU.

What were the three plays from 2010?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What were the three plays from 2010?

I have an easier time here than you do when I ask you the same.

Two games, LSU and UConn are the same answer, Ryan Clarke fumbles in the red zone in the fourth quarter
'Cuse any one of the THREE picks Smith threw in the red zone in the 2nd half.

Your turn, which three plays would have swung four games last season?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an easier time here than you do when I ask you the same.

Two games, LSU and UConn are the same answer, Ryan Clarke fumbles in the red zone in the fourth quarter
'Cuse any one of the THREE picks Smith threw in the red zone in the 2nd half.

Your turn, which three plays would have swung four games last season?

Sorry, the LSU fumble was at OUR 7, which gave LSU 7 points and the UConn fumble was in OT, the other in the UConn game was in the third quarter at their 23 on 3-1. the ONE play in the 'Cuse game was the pick in the end zone. THREE plays caused three losses.

Come on, BB, answer which three plays were going to make a difference in four games last year, and how ONE play would cause a 20 point change in the score in one of the losses in 2012.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, I made a couple of errors in my post.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats what I thought.................