• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sportshoopla Top 25 Week 8 2013

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i also ranked missouri, auburn, and ole miss below their computer rankings. and georgia is ranked an average of 22nd in the computer rankings. you could argue that lsu should be lower, but i really feel they are just better than the teams below them. i certainly wouldn't bet on texas tech or miami to beat them on a neutral field. my rankings are 2 parts results, 1 part who-do-i-think-is-better.

Fine, but that's the point. If computer rankings determine whether your opinion of another teams spot is valid or not - then your opinions/rankings are all over the place. Which is why I think we can all agree that computer rankings do not determine that. Which is why I can say LSU is too high, and you can't use computer rankings to counter it without spitting in your own face.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually i think i screwed up the math. the 9 sec teams are ranked over 40 spots lower than their computer averages. the jealousy is real.

Or it's that computer formulas suck with only half the data at this point.

But conspiracies are more fun so carry on

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

most of the nonconference data is in. but you are right, if florida beats florida state or south carolina beats clemson, the entire sec will get another lift.

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would also add that computers are only as accurate as the biased person writing the program. You can write it to give more weight to different criteria which changes the final outcome. If it doesn't give you YOUR desired outcome, you just edit the criteria a little until you get the results you want. It works just like polls in that you ask as many people the same question as you need to get enough of the answer YOU want. Then only count enough of the people you asked in order to show YOUR desired poll results. ( 9 out of 10 people prefer bald women) You just have to ask a lot of people if they prefer deathly ill women with hair or healthy women with bald heads. It's all in the criteria and it works the same in how a computer compares cfb conferences>teams based on the program as written.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also add that computers are only as accurate as the biased person writing the program. You can write it to give more weight to different criteria which changes the final outcome. If it doesn't give you YOUR desired outcome, you just edit the criteria a little until you get the results you want. It works just like polls in that you ask as many people the same question as you need to get enough of the answer YOU want. Then only count enough of the people you asked in order to show YOUR desired poll results. ( 9 out of 10 people prefer bald women) You just have to ask a lot of people if they prefer deathly ill women with hair or healthy women with bald heads. It's all in the criteria and it works the same in how a computer compares cfb conferences>teams based on the program as written.

Yes, the computer rankings depend on the philosophy of the person creating them. However, it applies that philosophy 100% evenly and unbiased.

If someone is changing things later to get their desired outcome, then that's just lame in general. It's not like everyone does that. Do you think I like Alabama being #7 in mine? No way, but I stand by the formula itself.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the computer rankings depend on the philosophy of the person creating them. However, it applies that philosophy 100% evenly and unbiased.

If someone is changing things later to get their desired outcome, then that's just lame in general. It's not like everyone does that. Do you think I like Alabama being #7 in mine? No way, but I stand by the formula itself.

You mean how Sagarin changed his this year?

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most of the nonconference data is in. but you are right, if florida beats florida state or south carolina beats clemson, the entire sec will get another lift.

so if FSU beats UF and Clemson beats usce, the entire ACC gets a lift too, right?

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisky over FSU in Orange

UCF over Bama in Sugar

300px-Trolling_drawing.jpg
That's trawling, not trolling.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean how Sagarin changed his this year?

Changed how? He uses ELO Chess I thought.

Also, I should clarify there is a difference in changing the formula because you improve the formula, and doing what the other person was talking about in terms of changing how things are weighted in order to manipulate the results.

I've changed my formula a few times over the years as a means of improving the way it does things, but not changing the weights on things just to get different results.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polls are for dumass pencil-necks who've never played football.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changed how? He uses ELO Chess I thought.

Also, I should clarify there is a difference in changing the formula because you improve the formula, and doing what the other person was talking about in terms of changing how things are weighted in order to manipulate the results.

I've changed my formula a few times over the years as a means of improving the way it does things, but not changing the weights on things just to get different results.

Sagarin changes formula, finally removes 'Margin of Victory' - CBSSports.com

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great poll everyone, good job

only thing that catches me by surprise is Michigan State at 20

I can't put myself to rank them with the offense they have.