• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Somewhat OT - New U.S. News College Rankings

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forget what we were last year, but for "2012" the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (which they call "Virginia Tech" but refer to Georgia Tech as the Georgia Institute of Technology) was ranked:

Out of all universities - #71
Out of Public Universities - tied for #28 (with Mich St. and Iowa)

The ACC fares very well: (Overall rank/public rank if applicable)
Duke - (#10)
Wake Forest (#25)
UVA (Charlotesville) - (#25/#2)
UNCheat - (#29/#5)
Boston College (#31)
Georgia Tech (#36/#7)
Miami (#38)
UMD (#55/#17)
Klempson (#68/#25)... they're public?
Virginia Tech (#71/#28)
FSU (#101/#46)
NC State (#101/#46)

Just so you know what to expect to hear when you travel to UVa this year. I believe they're still holding down #25 in GQ's "Douche-est Colleges".

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forget what we were last year, but for "2012" the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (which they call "Virginia Tech" but refer to Georgia Tech as the Georgia Institute of Technology) was ranked:

Out of all universities - #71
Out of Public Universities - tied for #28 (with Mich St. and Iowa)

The ACC fares very well: (Overall rank/public rank if applicable)
Duke - (#10)
Wake Forest (#25)
UVA (Charlotesville) - (#25/#2)
UNCheat - (#29/#5)
Boston College (#31)
Georgia Tech (#36/#7)
Miami (#38)
UMD (#55/#17)
Klempson (#68/#25)... they're public?
Virginia Tech (#71/#28)
FSU (#101/#46)
NC State (#101/#46)

Just so you know what to expect to hear when you travel to UVa this year. I believe they're still holding down #25 in GQ's "Douche-est Colleges".

We were 71 last year as well, I think.

As for "Virginia Tech", I think that became an official name a few years back. VPI&SU is still on diplomas and the such, but VT is also now a formal, and official name. My father was pissed, as it is now easier for him to write a check.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We've hovered around 71 for years now.

Clemson is South Carolina's primary land grant institution. South Carolina State is the other.

Our official name is Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, but the name is so cumbersome that using “Virginia Tech” in news releases, feature articles, academic journals, and publications is preferable. Never use an ampersand instead of “and.” Never use VPI&SU, VPI and SU, VA Tech, VPI, Va. Tech, or Virginia Tech University in printed matter. “Tech” is acceptable after a first reference to “Virginia Tech,” but it should not be used repeatedly or solely. “VT” and “Va. Tech” are acceptable only in limited, informal situations, such as a news headline where space is tight. Refrain from using “VT” and “Va. Tech” in body copy, titles of publications, on signs, or in any “formal” publication.

“VPI,” which was the university’s acronym/nickname from 1896 to 1970, should be used only in historical contexts. The same is true for “VAMC,” the university’s acronym/nickname before 1896.
University Style Guide | Branding and Identity | Virginia Tech