• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some audio CDs not being read by DVD RW player.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found two audio CDs which aren't read by my DVD RW drive on my computer. When there was only one such audio CD, I could live with it.

But now that I found another one, that's too annoying. There's no reason why these CDs shouldn't be read. They're in new condition, have only been played a few times. Other players (car, DVD player) read them fine.

Windows doesn't recognize the CD. It spins for a bit, 3-10 seconds, then Windows decides it can't read the CD, so it doesn't recognize that there's any media inserted in the drive.

So, I will now spend hours trying to get this to work. I already tried a little bit, earlier this week, by updating my DVD RW driver. Didn't help.

I'm using Windows 7, and an ASUS DRW-24B1ST drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, from this user:

++++++++++++++++

Optical drive doesn't read some audio CD's - DVD Drives - Storage

hang-the-9

November 8, 2010 5:56:22 PM

Some music CDs are made not to be readable by computer drives. You should see something about it on the CD cover or booklet.

++++++++++++++

If that's the case, then it's a lost cause. But I don't see any such warning on the booklet or cover.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a suggestion that worked for this person, but I don't want to try it yet. I don't understand why this would help.

++++++++++++++++++

CD/DVD Drive Won't Read Certain Discs. - DVD Drives - Storage

hmnolanmeyer
December 6, 2009 11:51:52 PM

Hello. Fixed it, what worked was rubbing the CD briskly on my clothes. Did it have to do with static, or something? =\

I appreciate your time.

+++++++++++++++

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I tried it. Didn't work.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried this, but it didn't work. I can't get Nero to show the CD properties because Nero doesn't recognize that a CD has been inserted.

+++++++++

http://www.sevenforums.com/music-pic...udio-cd-s.html

Borg 386

I had the same problem on XP for some odd reason, when I popped in the older CD's/CDR's they could not be recognized by Win or the player.

Don't ask me how or why this worked, but the solution I found by accident was:

I had to launch my CD Burning software (Nero) and click on the CD Properties or CD Info to display what was on the CD.

Once I did this, the CD was once again recognized by the system with the complete files.

I have no idea if this is because maybe the CD's were burnt in a slightly diff format on the older sys or what was going on. I did use Nero on the older system too...maybe that has something to do with it?

You could try that with the CD's and see if it works

++++++++++++

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, at this point I think my best bet is to try these on my work lap top when I have access to it. Maybe it will work in another CD ROM Drive.

Other than that, I don't know.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Open the Playing and Burning CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs troubleshooter

Try using the Microsoft fix-it tool. You can also try going to device manager, uninstall the DVD hardware and reboot allowing Windows to reconfigure the drive settings.

I tried the fix-it tool.

I'll try un-installing and re-installing.

The thing is though, it's only with 2 CDs, out of 100s, so I don't think it's a hardware problem, nor probably a software problem, but I'll try this.

I also opened a support case with Asus, but they were out of time, so I'll try them tomorrow. Maybe they might have a suggestion.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spent about an hour on the phone with Asus today. The closest we got to figuring something out was when they suggested changing the DVD Region settings in my device manager. When I reminded them I was dealing with CDs, not DVDs, they said that CDs don't have region codes, so this wasn't the right approach. They were then out of ideas.

Ok, as previously mentioned, I'll try these on my work lap top tomorrow, and see what happens. After that, I think I have to put this to bed as unresolved.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren't going to get very far with phone support with any of the major vendors. They are near minimum wage employees reading from a script and at best can elevate your problems to a higher level when the basics don't have an impact.

I'm assuming you are running windows 7 and have updated audio drivers? Believe it or not, the disk read error has been around since XP and was REALLY bad in Vista.

How old is the system?

It is either the drive itself, the windows drivers, the audio driver (audio hardware), or the format of the CD which reverts back to the DVD/CD drive and how it reads various formats.

Definitely try it in another computer before going too much farther.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren't going to get very far with phone support with any of the major vendors. They are near minimum wage employees reading from a script and at best can elevate your problems to a higher level when the basics don't have an impact.

I'm assuming you are running windows 7 and have updated audio drivers? Believe it or not, the disk read error has been around since XP and was REALLY bad in Vista.

How old is the system?

It is either the drive itself, the windows drivers, the audio driver (audio hardware), or the format of the CD which reverts back to the DVD/CD drive and how it reads various formats.

Yeah, I just figured I'd give it a shot and try customer support, just to see if they had any other ideas. I didn't have high expectations but sometimes it just takes 1 idea to get on the right path.

Yeah, I'm running windows 7.

The system is from November 2011.

I have the audio drivers I installed then. I don't think it's an audio driver issue, since it's not about the sound not being played, but about the disc being recognized.

What you're saying about the format being reverted to something else makes sense, that could be what's happening.

Let's see what happens on my work desktop or work laptop in the next few days.

Thanks for the response.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were issues in the past with audio device drivers and their interaction with microsofts audio controller. I know it doesn't make sense, but it has been something that has fixed things like that in the past. Basically MS comes out with a hot fix for one of their CD library files and all of a sudden your existing hardware stops interacting with it correctly until the drivers are updated. While it makes sense for only the firmware/driver for the CD/DVD drive to cause this, that unit works directly with the audio controller.

If those CD's work on other computers I would make sure Windows is fully updated and all drivers related to your sound system are updated as well. There are only two things that can be at fault if that doesn't fix it: A hardware issue with the CD/DVD controller, or an issues with the operating system.

DVD/CD drives are under $10 any more if you aren't looking for bluray and a fresh OS install not only fixes odd things like this, but can substantially improve overall performance and gives you a totally clean and spyware free computer.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both CDs work on my work desktop. They are quickly recognized, and I can play them.

On my home desktop, I will try:

1) Updating my sound card's driver.

2) Windows, if necessary.

I am running Windows 7 Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 on my work desktop. I will check what SP I'm running on my home PC.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updates:

* I tried updating my sound card's driver, and rebooted my PC. It didn't help.

* I'm running the same version of Windows, with the same service pack, 7601, as on my work desktop.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How old is the system?

I think I tried all of your suggestions. Anything else?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some devices just don't read some disks. I would say it's likely that DVD/CD drive is not up to par.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are asking for every last possibility the SATA cable could be loose or otherwise not working correctly, the board drive controller could be at fault, the operating system might be damaged (in need of a clean install), or the unit is not performing up to standard.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are asking for every last possibility the SATA cable could be loose or otherwise not working correctly, the board drive controller could be at fault, the operating system might be damaged (in need of a clean install), or the unit is not performing up to standard.

Ok. Those things require more intensive trouble shooting, with more time to try those out.

I'll stop for now, but will keep them in the back of my mind, such as the SATA cable option. If I ever need to replace it for the same DVD drive, I'll remember to try playing these CDs again.

Same with the other possibilities like the O.S.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly new DVD/CD drives aren't very expensive and take a couple of minutes to replace. If you notice this on more than these two disks and it becomes any kind of a problem it is far less painless to change that out (and the cable while you are at it) than it is to wipe and reimage your OS.