• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So who thinks Haskins Should be playing now?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given where we are, anyone out there still feel Haskins should be out there and if so, why?

I believe he should for a couple of reasons. First, Alex has done nothing that Haskins couldn’t do. His 6 yd per completion average is really weak and if he doesnt soon start throwing down the field (with effect), he will have a negative effect on the running game as defenses just stack the box against us every down. Next, Alex is not the future of this team. At best, he will be a back up and mentor to the future (at a greatly reduced price only). Haskins may not be the future, but we just don’t know. Well, we need to know before next off season.

thoughts?

BrownEyedGirl

Let's Go Islanders!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Washington would be better served by trying to trade for Sam Darnold if possible. He’s being wasted on the Jets by bad coaching and a bad system and I think he has more potential upside as a franchise quarterback than Haskins does.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Washington would be better served by trying to trade for Sam Darnold if possible. He’s being wasted on the Jets by bad coaching and a bad system and I think he has more potential upside as a franchise quarterback than Haskins does.
That is definitely a possibility. There are a couple potential FAs and trade scenarios that could develop.

BrownEyedGirl

Let's Go Islanders!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s also really hard not to want to see Alex Smith succeed this season. Even if he loses his starting job to someone like Darnold next season at least he can be proud of the fact he didn’t give up and could play at an NFL level again against all odds.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are building the peices first then get our guy .. Next year Same 3 Qbs Rivira his 3rd year will draft a Qb in the first which will by him 2 to 3 more years

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s also really hard not to want to see Alex Smith succeed this season. Even if he loses his starting job to someone like Darnold next season at least he can be proud of the fact he didn’t give up and could play at an NFL level again against all odds.
This is an excellent point and let me expound on it a bit more. Alex Smith is 36 years old, to look at him with helmet on her appears to be older than his actual age. ( perhaps a shave would improve this) but there's one thing that anyone who's ever been serious about playing a sport after getting injured all have in common, it is proving to themselves that they can do it.

Well, certainly Smith has done that!

The question that he and his family will face going forward is going to be, what's left to prove if he continues to play? Don't fool yourselves, he and the wife have already had this conversation and despite the fact that there's still money left in the current contract, concerns for health, possibly life at the time took precedence. Smith might return for that final season, but it would not surprise me if he retires after winning comeback player of the year.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given where we are, anyone out there still feel Haskins should be out there and if so, why?

I believe he should for a couple of reasons. First, Alex has done nothing that Haskins couldn’t do. His 6 yd per completion average is really weak and if he doesnt soon start throwing down the field (with effect), he will have a negative effect on the running game as defenses just stack the box against us every down. Next, Alex is not the future of this team. At best, he will be a back up and mentor to the future (at a greatly reduced price only). Haskins may not be the future, but we just don’t know. Well, we need to know before next off season.

thoughts?
By now everyone here knows that I believe that Haskins is still the future in Washington . You're spot on with the reasons why he should be playing, but I'll add this. There has to be some way to redeem trade value with this guy if that is the (mistaken) direction that they plan to take. Beyond that, one of the things that we know about Haskins is that he doesn't make the same mistakes twice or at least it has been reported as such many times before. If true, he's likely to show something given another crack at it. Finally, there's a matter of fairness to Dwayne and the organization. We all, well, at least all except those who would not trust their lying eyes, saw Haskins take strides forward one year ago under a interim HC and a different OC. Rivera was correct when he said that "Dwayne simply didn’t get enough snaps in order to become proficient in this offense." The question now becomes, is Rivera ready to give up on the young man and risk throwing away and giving that potential to another team untested, or will he make good his word and find a way to get Dwayne those necessary snaps?

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DH should never have been benched because he could have done what we got done if not more . He played vs the hardest part of our schedule . People forget that !

As for CDC , who knows what passion he has in his heart ? Farve had a lot of it .CDC might still have the itch

He will figure it out

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an excellent point and let me expound on it a bit more. Alex Smith is 36 years old, to look at him with helmet on her appears to be older than his actual age. ( perhaps a shave would improve this) but there's one thing that anyone who's ever been serious about playing a sport after getting injured all have in common, it is proving to themselves that they can do it.

Well, certainly Smith has done that!

The question that he and his family will face going forward is going to be, what's left to prove if he continues to play? Don't fool yourselves, he and the wife have already had this conversation and despite the fact that there's still money left in the current contract, concerns for health, possibly life at the time took precedence. Smith might return for that final season, but it would not surprise me if he retires after winning comeback player of the year.

Great point Sty!

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DH should never have been benched because he could have done what we got done if not more . He played vs the hardest part of our schedule . People forget that !

As for CDC , who knows what passion he has in his heart ? Farve had a lot of it .CDC might still have the itch

He will figure it out
No one can question Alex's passion or heart. That has never been a concern of mine. My concern with Alex is he just isn't effective. Honestly, with the exception of a few years in his career, he has never been that effective. He is, as you so accurate depict, Check Down Charlie. The problem with that is that if he doesn't start stretching the field, pretty soon defenses will just stack the box, resulting in no running game and no deep game. At least Haskins tried to (and on occasion succeed) throw down the field. Alex got away with it against the Bengals and the Boys, but I can promise you he won't against the Steelers.

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one can question Alex's passion or heart. That has never been a concern of mine. My concern with Alex is he just isn't effective. Honestly, with the exception of a few years in his career, he has never been that effective. He is, as you so accurate depict, Check Down Charlie. The problem with that is that if he doesn't start stretching the field, pretty soon defenses will just stack the box, resulting in no running game and no deep game. At least Haskins tried to (and on occasion succeed) throw down the field. He has gotten away with it against the Bengals and the Boys, but I can promise you he won't against the Steelers.

I will write up a post on qb options we have for next yr . With the cap and such it could be CDC and a draft pick

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will write up a post on qb options we have for next yr . With the cap and such it could be CDC and a draft pick
Yeah, I don't see them keeping both CDC and DH. I bet Allen will be back here. It may be Allen and CDC and a draft pick.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By now everyone here knows that I believe that Haskins is still the future in Washington . You're spot on with the reasons why he should be playing, but I'll add this. There has to be some way to redeem trade value with this guy if that is the (mistaken) direction that they plan to take. Beyond that, one of the things that we know about Haskins is that he doesn't make the same mistakes twice or at least it has been reported as such many times before. If true, he's likely to show something given another crack at it. Finally, there's a matter of fairness to Dwayne and the organization. We all, well, at least all except those who would not trust their lying eyes, saw Haskins take strides forward one year ago under a interim HC and a different OC. Rivera was correct when he said that "Dwayne simply didn’t get enough snaps in order to become proficient in this offense." The question now becomes, is Rivera ready to give up on the young man and risk throwing away and giving that potential to another team untested, or will he make good his word and find a way to get Dwayne those necessary snaps?

Regardless of where Haskins ends up playing out the rest of his career, and he will play somewhere, I think he is learning some valuable lessons right now with study habits, maturity, and team play. A couple of examples that impressed me yesterday are when the camera was focused on him he appeared to be really focused on the game and when Smith was knocked out of bounds he was the first guy there to pick him up to get him back on his feet. I don't like the history of our brass when it comes to decision making but let's hope they will make the correct decision concerning Haskins.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't see them keeping both CDC and DH. I bet Allen will be back here. It may be Allen and CDC and a draft pick.
He is a FA so it will be a matter of cost

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He will figure it out
I agree with your first point and I'm in no way suggesting that Smith is going to retire. I do think based upon what must have been a contentious and extremely deep heartfelt discussion during/following his recovery. I have no doubt that he wanted to prove to himself that he could do it. Now that he has, I'll bet he and the wife will mull what to do next when this season ends. You're right, they will figure it out, but since there's so much speculation about next year at QB, I think that it's rather shortsighted not to consider the possibility.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of where Haskins ends up playing out the rest of his career, and he will play somewhere, I think he is learning some valuable lessons right now with study habits, maturity, and team play. A couple of examples that impressed me yesterday are when the camera was focused on him he appeared to be really focused on the game and when Smith was knocked out of bounds he was the first guy there to pick him up to get him back on his feet. I don't like the history of our brass when it comes to decision making but let's hope they will make the correct decision concerning Haskins.
Doesn't seem like a guy who is sulking and doesn't want to be here. Maybe the reports are spot on and this guy doesn't make the same mistakes twice. We will see.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HEYYYY!!!!__Steven Montez

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't seem like a guy who is sulking and doesn't want to be here. Maybe the reports are spot on and this guy doesn't make the same mistakes twice. We will see.

I watched a you tube video on Haskins a couple of nights ago and he said in his own words "I'm happy to have my uniform on again" with a big smile on his face so you're right, he is not sulking.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes we learn from our mistakes. I hope that is the case with Haskins. I believe deep down that RR has counseled him and not ignored him.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DH should be playing right now while we chase a fake division title. There is NOTHING that AS has done from the bus drivers seat that DH cannot be doing. We know why we are chasing this gawd awful division. Let DH grow with his other young performers. Better yet, maybe he is standing next to coach. :noidea: