• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So, uh... defense much?

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers and Pens are probably the 1-2 defenses in the country (as of July 4th, maybe one of us will gut the team before the season though). Wonder who'll win the series this coming year?

Go Flyers!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should make an annual event of it!

EDIT: Also, to answer your question, yes.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so worried about the Pens in their own zone anymore, I am a little worried about how that defense can translate into offensive production. I guess the powerplay couldn't get any worse, but it'll be interesting to see how the change is implemented into a Crosby/Malkin powerplay system.

Hopefully Tony Granato is the one take this beast on.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so worried about the Pens in their own zone anymore, I am a little worried about how that defense can translate into offensive production. I guess the powerplay couldn't get any worse, but it'll be interesting to see how the change is implemented into a Crosby/Malkin powerplay system.
Hopefully Tony Granato is the one take this beast on.

I believe that the Penguin powerplay will look a bit different this year. Not only because of the subtraction of one Sergei Gonchar, but also because Mike Yeo will not be managing it anymore. IMHO, Yeo did more harm then good while he was in charge of the PP, and the production we saw was more due to talent on the ice, than a carefully executed system.

Time will tell, but I feel better about it with Mike out of the picture.

This is my first post on the new Penguins board!!

silence.jpg

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am very excited about the defense because that was a somewhat underrated aspect of the Cup win in '09. Obviously the offense did well, but they won the Detroit series with great defense (in some of the games obviously) and well-timed production from the role players. They didn't win that series on the shoulders of Malkin or Crosby.

Despite what everyone always says about Crosby and Malkin needing a winger, both have done a lot with very little. However, when the defense has struggled, Fleury and the team have as well. I love the signings overall. And I am not getting tired of these months without hockey. I can deal with it for about a month or so. Now that we're getting a look at what teams may look like, I just need this shit to start.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that the Penguin powerplay will look a bit different this year. Not only because of the subtraction of one Sergei Gonchar, but also because Mike Yeo will not be managing it anymore. IMHO, Yeo did more harm then good while he was in charge of the PP, and the production we saw was more due to talent on the ice, than a carefully executed system.

Time will tell, but I feel better about it with Mike out of the picture.

This is my first post on the new Penguins board!!

silence.jpg

I do recall some of the Pens fans at the swamp were incredibly pissed at the good Mr. Yeo. I hope his replacement works out well for you, though keep in mind as a Flyer fan, I may have a different understanding of the Penguin PP working out well than you guys.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know that gonchar ran the PP well...but it really wasn't THAT much better with him. i think it may help that the young guns now (and malkin) won't automatically pass it to gonch. that was one thing that they fell back on too often, no they're forced to take some of the shooting responsibility to themselves.