• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So how many of us actually played serious hockey?

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did. Played in college, picked up community league after graduation, ended up in regular weekly pickup. I finally quit at the age of 70. I had a bad knee and heart problems, or I would still want to be out there. Over 50 years isn't a bad career.

I sometimes tell people that they can't really understand the game unless they've played it.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I didn't get past Jr B, 30+ years ago.
Ran a team in some ridiculously competitive industry league for about 10 years in my 20's / 30's
We were recruiting ringers who aged out of major junior and colleges. It was getting pretty silly.

Still try to get out once a week (in normal times).

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played as a kid up to 12 years old when it just became too expensive (dad was the only bread winner with five kids). I was a better basketball player than hockey payer anyway and played bball through high school. Started playing hockey again in my late 20s with friends through work etc., but haven't played in quite some time. Still like to go skating though.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gravitated towards bowling billiards and darts

/I got a bloody nose playing bubble hockey once - don’t tell me that’s not serious

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just tonsil hockey with babes.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pond, floodedbackyard and pick up at the park.

And yeah, having never been on a team, I lack a ton of understanding. Still my favorite sport to watch in person.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did. Played in college, picked up community league after graduation, ended up in regular weekly pickup. I finally quit at the age of 70. I had a bad knee and heart problems, or I would still want to be out there. Over 50 years isn't a bad career.

I sometimes tell people that they can't really understand the game unless they've played it.

tenor.gif

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played through high school and in college at the club level. Since then, I've played off-and-on in rec leagues / beer leagues. As I've gotten older and had a knee issue or two, I've definitely slowed down and haven't played at a regular pace every year. But I'll truly feel old if I can't play pickup or coach one day.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played high school and in college I played on club team.
After college played in Beer leagues until I got slashed and broke 4 fingers on my left hand. At that point, I found it useless to play unless for fun.

I did coach while my son was younger until he reached high school but quit at that point since my other kids didn't have an interest in playing.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played into high school and played rec league and roller hockey through my 20's into my early 30's. Then my knee told me to stop.

Started coaching with my cousin (Who played at Penn State) when his kids started playing and continued all the way up through this year with my son (around 28 years now). Been specifically a goalie coach the last 4. He is off to college next year so I am not sure what I am going to do. I don't really want to work with the goalie on his team next year.

One of the local High Schools is looking for a head coach, and I am thinking about it.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Played for a bit over 30 years, but high school is as serious as it gets.

Two different groups with weekly ice time for almost 20 years after I separated from the USAF including a couple of seasons in the local industrial/men's "no check" league. That league was a fiasco, filled with ringers, goons and officiating that would make FIFI blush. My 4th knee surgery pretty much coincided with my boys becoming old enough to start playing and I transitioned to coach and chauffeur shortly after that.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played into high school and played rec league and roller hockey through my 20's into my early 30's. Then my knee told me to stop.

Started coaching with my cousin (Who played at Penn State) when his kids started playing and continued all the way up through this year with my son (around 28 years now). Been specifically a goalie coach the last 4. He is off to college next year so I am not sure what I am going to do. I don't really want to work with the goalie on his team next year.

One of the local High Schools is looking for a head coach, and I am thinking about it.

Do-It.jpg

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played minor hockey growing up. Never reached AAA level so no hope of a real junior career.

Played in a great rec league in my early 20s. Summer seasons had a few high scoring AHLers (it was absolutely terrifying how good some of these guys were) and lots of CHL players.

Then I took a number of years off before playing in increasingly low divisions of a beer league for 10 + years. The last 2 I've barely played due to knee and back injuries, combined with parenting duties.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played a little roller hockey as a kid but I didn’t learn to ice skate until my early 30’s (many will say I still haven’t learned how to skate on ice).

I play in beer leagues a couple times a week and I fucking love it. Nothing like blowing off steam with beers with the boys after a game.

miah

Well Hung Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have ice skated once in my life, but go to local minor league games here in Boise every year.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really.

Actually had a fear of skating as a kid.

Before Kidney transplant. I used to play Special Olympics Floor Hockey for 16 years.

Defenseman. 2 way type but my tournament stats can tell you what my style of play was:

1 goal ? Assists ( I think 5 could be wrong. 0 is also going through my head) and 10 penalty minutes (8 earned and 1 bullshit call).

Heck of a point shot though and I knew how to use it.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt play “SERIOUS” hockey. Ferraro says anyone who hasnt scored 408 nhl goals doesnt know anything about hockey so theres that lol

my dad thought hockey was too expensive and he saw more value in cutting my sticks and using them as stakes to hold up his tomato plants in the garden. Which is quite something seeing that he now buys my son $150 dollar sticks each christmas :ohwell:

I get on the ice with my son 2 times a week during the season, once for stick and puck and then once for family hockey sessions at the local rinks.

i dont coach with the association hes at but managed his teams 3 seasons ... mostly so we can arrange a team with his friends who have dads who do coach :thumb: