• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smart AC Power Outlets

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone using these yet?

I bought a I-Home Smart outlet from Home Depot to control a light on a water feature in a sunroom addition...they work off wifi or a hub. I have wifi so I didn't buy the hub.

Installed the app on my Iphone and it worked great for about 3 weeks. Now, nothing. I've fiddled around with a few times, and it still nothing...before I take this thing back, just throwing out to see if any Hoopsters have this or know how to troubleshoot it.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not yet, but I am taking a slightly different approach. So far I have purchased a Rasberry Pi2 which running my favorite flavor of linux. That will eventually (hopefully) be the Hub/Gateway running automation software - leaning towards z-wave devices and perhaps openHAB as the software to run various switches/sensors/surveillance cameras (wired network).

I'm still playing around with it, but the Pi2 is surprisingly capable and powerful for a $35.00 ARM computer (wrapped in a 5-10 watt envelope). Needless to say, I'm still on a learning curve with it, and a bit more research needs to be done.

home automation protocols explained --->
Home Automation Protocols: A Round-Up - EH Network

WiFi devices have their drawbacks with home automation - which I think you're finding out. I would verify it is connected through your settings page on your router. Then, see if you can ping it after determining what ip address your router assigned the smart switch. You might want to see if you can reset it, and reconnect it to your WiFi.

Beyond that, return it and try a different path/protocol - which means you likely will be buying a hub.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not yet, but I am taking a slightly different approach. So far I have purchased a Rasberry Pi2 which running my favorite flavor of linux. That will eventually (hopefully) be the Hub/Gateway running automation software - leaning towards z-wave devices and perhaps openHAB as the software to run various switches/sensors/surveillance cameras (wired network).

I'm still playing around with it, but the Pi2 is surprisingly capable and powerful for a $35.00 ARM computer (wrapped in a 5-10 watt envelope). Needless to say, I'm still on a learning curve with it, and a bit more research needs to be done.

home automation protocols explained --->
Home Automation Protocols: A Round-Up - EH Network

WiFi devices have their drawbacks with home automation - which I think you're finding out. I would verify it is connected through your settings page on your router. Then, see if you can ping it after determining what ip address your router assigned the smart switch. You might want to see if you can reset it, and reconnect it to your WiFi.

Beyond that, return it and try a different path/protocol - which means you likely will be buying a hub.

Thanks for that input.

Initially I thought it was a WiFi issue as well, so I decided last evening to strip it down and start over with a reset of the smart device thru the phone app. That did get it back up and working, but you’re right…this WiFi based platform is not stable enough to rely on.

I tried to run a rule (essentially a timer) and it didn’t work. Maybe because the light was already on when I set the rule, but it was supposed to turn on at 8p and turn off at 12a…this morning the light was still on.

The z-wave based platform or hub seems to be a more stable....this device is supposed to be compatible with that type of hub. I will look into this Raspberry you mentioned as well, and check back in here to report on the findings.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for that input.

Initially I thought it was a WiFi issue as well, so I decided last evening to strip it down and start over with a reset of the smart device thru the phone app. That did get it back up and working, but you’re right…this WiFi based platform is not stable enough to rely on.

I tried to run a rule (essentially a timer) and it didn’t work. Maybe because the light was already on when I set the rule, but it was supposed to turn on at 8p and turn off at 12a…this morning the light was still on.

The z-wave based platform or hub seems to be a more stable....this device is supposed to be compatible with that type of hub. I will look into this Raspberry you mentioned as well, and check back in here to report on the findings.

I'm interested to follow along with this, so please update us with what you have found. We are moving soon, and I plan to update this house with more automated features since it is the one we actually plan to stay in for a while. I've resisted the wifi route for exactly what you said, but our current house is 2 story and I know I drop wifi with my phone while downstairs sometimes so I'm sure would have a worse problem with wifi controllers and outlets. I am waiting for an established ecosystem to take the lead and then I'll go with that.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeezz can't use a switch any more?
<shakes fist yelling get off my lawn>

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know right... old tech didn't have these problems.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzGsWO9VivJz3r7aodKHaA5NXkIfAI1dAFXf_TD8LekTYvBIx0.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to follow along with this, so please update us with what you have found. We are moving soon, and I plan to update this house with more automated features since it is the one we actually plan to stay in for a while. I've resisted the wifi route for exactly what you said, but our current house is 2 story and I know I drop wifi with my phone while downstairs sometimes so I'm sure would have a worse problem with wifi controllers and outlets. I am waiting for an established ecosystem to take the lead and then I'll go with that.

We have a 1.5 story...loft/office/guest bed/hall bath up...the router is in the bonus room/office area over the gargage...so far no real issues with the phone connecting anywhere, but my laptop doesn't get a good signal in the sunroom space (6 mos ago this was back yard so maybe the distance from the router is a factor...idk)

Based on that, I figured the smart outlet might have issues out there. If I moved the router to the loft (it's more in the center of the house) that might help, but if I'm going to add on to the automation stuff, the platform needs to be more stable.

Will do.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 116713

While I never tried this on the water feature light, this is precisely what I'm trying to get rid of...the wife has 5 or 6 of these damn things controlling lamps and what not...they have their own set of problems...we've replaced 3 of them already in less than a yr.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a 1.5 story...loft/office/guest bed/hall bath up...the router is in the bonus room/office area over the gargage...so far no real issues with the phone connecting anywhere, but my laptop doesn't get a good signal in the sunroom space (6 mos ago this was back yard so maybe the distance from the router is a factor...idk)

Based on that, I figured the smart outlet might have issues out there. If I moved the router to the loft (it's more in the center of the house) that might help, but if I'm going to add on to the automation stuff, the platform needs to be more stable.

Will do.

Or you could get a repeater to put downstairs and boost the signal. Might help a bit if you stay on the wifi platform

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I never tried this on the water feature light, this is precisely what I'm trying to get rid of...the wife has 5 or 6 of these damn things controlling lamps and what not...they have their own set of problems...we've replaced 3 of them already in less than a yr.

What about skipping the outlet and getting the lights, like Hue, for the lamps? I have heard those work really well.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until you forget toflip that switch on the left, or you forget if the pins down are on, or pins up. :)
If somebody has trouble mastering one of those let's add a computer to the mix
That'l fix it!
Luddites of the world unite

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about skipping the outlet and getting the lights, like Hue, for the lamps? I have heard those work really well.

Hue? Will have to look into that.

I started out down smart outlet road because I wanted to automate the water feature functions...to come on when we get home from work and shut off around midnight...so to test it I started with the light (not on a wall switch - just a plug) thinking it would be easier.

I spoke to a home automation pro a couple of days ago...they do really elaborate stuff that's way more than we want/need or can afford...he said the hub is the best way to go and that's what they use mostly. But, when I got to homedepot...the device indicated it can work with WiFi or with a hub...naturally I migrated to the least expensive option...$30...I'll look into the hubs this weekend.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeezz can't use a switch any more?
<shakes fist yelling get off my lawn>

What I should've done was had that outlet wired to a wall switch and then it would be fairly easy to install a inwall timer, but wasn't forward thinking.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Visual...pardon me if I've posted this already. The top pic was about 90% complete and you can see the outlet on the left there that controls the light part of the feature....just getting to be a pain in the ass to constantly walk out there to unplug the light...the water has a remote control so no big deal.

waterfall2.jpg waterfall3.jpg

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice - my water feature below...

dog-urination-problems.jpg

No need for a timer- he's like clockwork @ 5:00am

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...I have an overly friendly neighbor that likes to walk her dog on my side of the street...JUST so her dog can water my grass...like clockwork too...it was fine when the grass was dormant...not so much now...finally caught them in the act...hated to be an ass, but I think they got the point.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 116713

I use those for my aquarium and for bonsai plants.

I have to adjust the time on them every few months. If the power goes out, they have to be adjusted immediately. But they work fine.