• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Skylar Howard has committed to WVU

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB Skyler Howard (@SkylerDonHoward) has committed to #WVU. More to come soon!

From BGN twitter feed

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am happy and relieved. I am excited and hopeful.

Maybe he can be our Cam Newton...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU Adds Juco QB

Skyler Howard
By Kevin Kinder
Publisher
Posted Dec 8, 2013

| More

Riverside City College quarterback Skyler Howard has confirmed to BlueGoldNews.com that he has committed to West Virginia.

"I enjoyed my visit," Howard texted BlueGoldNews.com while boarding his plane flight home. "I have committed to WVU and will be returning in January for the spring semester."

Howard entered a crowded quarterback battle at Riverside during the summer, but it only took him one half to make the position his own. Rallying Riverside to a win over Ventura in the season opener, Howard went on to complete 219 of 325 pass attempts (67.4%) for 3,151 yards and 33 touchdowns. He threw just six interceptions in his 12 games of action while helping Riverside to a 10-2 final record.

“He’ll fit in really well at West Virginia if he decides to go there,” Riverside assistant head coach Darrin Chiaverini told BlueGoldNews.com’s Jonathan Martin earlier. “He’ll fit in well with what Coach Holgorsen does there and the offensive philosophy. It fits perfect with for what Skyler is. He’s built to be a spread offense kind of guy – and could likely do the things that Geno Smith was doing while he was there. I think he’s a perfect fit.”

Howard also held offers from New Mexico State and Northern Colorado. California, Utah, Colorado, San Diego State, San Jose State and Virginia Tech had also been in contact with the prolific passer in recent weeks.

BlueGoldNews.com will have more from Howard when he returns home from his visit.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of looks like Johnny football out there, hope he isn't half the D-bag. Lol

If anything it gives us another option cause the three last year were below average. Glad he will be here for spring ball.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he has a decent arm and dual threat is definitely the way to go in our situation. He's a little on the short side but he can run so that could make up for any size issues. With our new OLine next year his mobility could be a blessing AND a curse at the same time. If/when the protection breaks down he will be able to make a play on the run or get some yards. If he relies too much on that mobility and starts running at the slightest sign of pressure we could be in trouble.

Lets hope Dana and ol dimples can figure out that we should rely on that stacked backfield next year and not put too much on this kid's (or whoever wins the position in the spring) shoulders.

I like this get :clap:, lets hope this is the start of a great week for recruiting!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think a dual threat QB is the way to go... period. When the offense has to account for your QB as a running threat, it dramatically increases their stress.

Add the threat of a run to Dana's vertical threat, and you may have something scary. If our WR's improve as blockers, it might increase the number of big plays.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think a dual threat QB is the way to go... period. When the offense has to account for your QB as a running threat, it dramatically increases their stress.

Add the threat of a run to Dana's vertical threat, and you may have something scary. If our WR's improve as blockers, it might increase the number of big plays.

agree 100%, if we could get a no doubt NFL rocket arm QB then sure, take him, but.... good luck not just at WVU but several programs pulling that guy over some of the blue bloods.

I cant help but think of Todd Reesing from KU a few years ago with this guy, I hope he has a similar career.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno came to WVU as a dual threat, and he showed glimpses of how dangerous of a runner he could have been for us.

I know Dana stated he wasn't going to start using a zone read with his offense a couple of years ago, but maybe he would rethink it with kids like Howard and Crest.

Never say never...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno came to WVU as a dual threat, and he showed glimpses of how dangerous of a runner he could have been for us.

I know Dana stated he wasn't going to start using a zone read with his offense a couple of years ago, but maybe he would rethink it with kids like Howard and Crest.

Never say never...
Or maybe he was watching the SEC CCG...:lol:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Auburn was like watching RRs offense with White and Slaton with no defenders making it to the backfield. I always wondered what that offense would look like with a bunch of 4 star blockers rather than the 2-3 star guys RR put on the field. That offense worked well when our small guys were going up against big guys. auburn has big guys going against big guys and it is dominating.

Holgerson should have the zone read in his playbook. The QB does not have to run much, but just the threat takes away the defender who must account for the QB. Miami v. Pittsburgh, Tannehill kept the ball once and ran for 40+ yards. That kept the Steelers honest and helped Miami win the game.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Auburn was like watching RRs offense with White and Slaton with no defenders making it to the backfield. I always wondered what that offense would look like with a bunch of 4 star blockers rather than the 2-3 star guys RR put on the field. That offense worked well when our small guys were going up against big guys. auburn has big guys going against big guys and it is dominating.

Holgerson should have the zone read in his playbook. The QB does not have to run much, but just the threat takes away the defender who must account for the QB. Miami v. Pittsburgh, Tannehill kept the ball once and ran for 40+ yards. That kept the Steelers honest and helped Miami win the game.

:agree: