• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sims will start against West Virginia

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm calling it now. Depending on how his first few series go, he may cement the starting job. I hope he starts for us. He has worked his tail off and stuck to the process. He deserves his shot. He worked with George Whitfield in the offseason, so I'm sure he has improved. Coker no doubt is talented, but I just don't see him coming in and starting right away. Sims knows the system and knows what Saban wants. I'm sure he would be just as good a QB as Coker. Remember guys, we need someone who limits mistakes. I think Sims is capable of that.

Another thing, even if Coker gets the job, you better believe Saban will have a package for Sims and use him often.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what will happen, but I disagree that Simms knows the system. Simms has his own system just for him, and I can't see Saban wanting to run it full time.

I like that he worked hard and all. But if he starts I doubt we finish in the top10. Regardless of mistakes, we need someone who can distribute the ball to our elite players all around the QB. I just don't see him as the guy.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure Sims and Coker will split series's like McCarron and Phil Sims did to start the season. Unless someone's the clear front-runner by then of course. I'm with 4down, unless Sims has made HUGE strides in learning the system en sech, I think it's probably Coker's job to lose. The first 3 games should be a decent gauge of who preforms best at "game speed" before we get into SEC play but I imagine Coker will end up the starter with some special packages for Sims here and there.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't understand is why everybody is attacking Sims for not hitting deep passes. I mean my God, we run a West Coast offense with Kiffin calling the plays. There might be 2 or 3 shots a game we take deep. I thought he over performed compared to ESPN's expectations. You guys have to remember something... We went undefeated in the regular season with JPW... He was terrible at throwing deep. McElroy was too, unless the receiver was 10 yards open. I say give it time, I think Saban wants to see Coker at game speed and evaluate him as well. If he doesn't do as good as Sims vs a much weaker opponent, then I think Sims keeps the job going into the Florida game. If anything, we have 2 "capable" QBs if either goes down. I pray that doesn't happen.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't understand is why everybody is attacking Sims for not hitting deep passes. I mean my God, we run a West Coast offense with Kiffin calling the plays. There might be 2 or 3 shots a game we take deep. I thought he over performed compared to ESPN's expectations. You guys have to remember something... We went undefeated in the regular season with JPW... He was terrible at throwing deep. McElroy was too, unless the receiver was 10 yards open. I say give it time, I think Saban wants to see Coker at game speed and evaluate him as well. If he doesn't do as good as Sims vs a much weaker opponent, then I think Sims keeps the job going into the Florida game. If anything, we have 2 "capable" QBs if either goes down. I pray that doesn't happen.

Because yuo need to be able to spread the field or defenses will just stack the box against the run. Auburn did it against McElroy in 2009 for example, and you can beat Auburn will do it even more if Sims is the QB in that game this year. If you are 1 dimensional then all defenses need to do is defend more heavily to that dimension and that is how you lose ball games.

Yeah we can win some games with defense and a running game that wears teams down. But that will be harder and harder as time goes by with all the rule changes to make offense better. All you can do on defense anymore is try to make the offense throw the ball in lower % throws. But if a QB is hitting them, like with Oklahoma then they are going to score. We have to be able to score as well.

I'll cheer the same no matter who is QB and hope they do their best. But the reason Coker isn't starting/playing is likely a matter of head speed not talent and if his head speed catches up he'll end up the starter IMO. Saban and Kiffin are waiting for it I think.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1103516.gif

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Sims is going to be the starter, and I'm not at all happy with that to be 100% honest.

I hope he exceeds my expectations.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this on RBR. It's a bit old, from the WVU game, but pretty much highlights my concerns.

261ok75.png

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^ yep. I love sims style, but im worried about him in games like this weekend. Lets hope he shocks us both.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's better than we think guys. I mean, we have a young offensive line, and through 3 games with Sims in at QB... 0 sacks allowed. That's a testament to the Oline and Sims. He has great pocket presence. Almost like AJ's. Hes actually more accurate in the pocket than outside the pocket. And throws a better ball in the pocket as well. I think the offense is going to open up a little this weekend, since, no offense to WVU, but this is the first good defense we will face this season, if not the best.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sims is the guy as far as I'm concerned and pretty much everybody else too I spose. Dude came up huge today and looked pretty damn good doing it. Feels like a fat midget has jumped off my shoulders.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sims is the guy as far as I'm concerned and pretty much everybody else too I spose. Dude came up huge today and looked pretty damn good doing it. Feels like a fat midget has jumped off my shoulders.

Agreed. Sims has silenced all of the doubts I had about him. If he keeps playing like this against Ole Miss and the rest of the SEC, he might find himself in some heisman discussion.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all we opened a can on that defense...and Sims was spot on all day. It's gonna be a fun year guys.

And oh yeah....

I TOLD YOU SO :yes:

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all we opened a can on that defense...and Sims was spot on all day. It's gonna be a fun year guys.

And oh yeah....

I TOLD YOU SO :yes:

Sims played a great game. I hope he can maintain that all year. However, the score wouldn't have been as close as it was if we could hang on to the ball. Defense is still shaky, but Tony Brown looked good for true freshman. Another true test on October 4th. Roll Tide

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sims is a baller. By the end of the year I think he will be better than McCarron. He can get out of sacks and get a first down when we need it.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm calling it now. Depending on how his first few series go, he may cement the starting job. I hope he starts for us. He has worked his tail off and stuck to the process. He deserves his shot. He worked with George Whitfield in the offseason, so I'm sure he has improved. Coker no doubt is talented, but I just don't see him coming in and starting right away. Sims knows the system and knows what Saban wants. I'm sure he would be just as good a QB as Coker. Remember guys, we need someone who limits mistakes. I think Sims is capable of that.

Another thing, even if Coker gets the job, you better believe Saban will have a package for Sims and use him often.

:yo: