• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the SEC adopt a 9 game conference schedule?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conferences with an 8 game schedule have never missed the playoff. Conferences with a 9 game schedule miss 50% of the time . You're better off scheduling a scrub OOC than you are playing an extra conference game

Correlation doesn't equal causation.

The ACC and SEC haven't been left out because they have been the 2 best conferences over the playoff era.

Alabama has made it every year.
Clemson has now made it every year but the 1st one, which is when Florida St went.
And Georgia went this year.

Otherwise, 1 conference has to be left out by default.

Ohio St made it in over Big12 in 2014 because they beat Wisconsin in their championship game 59-0 while the 2 Big12 teams became the "1 true champion" and didn't make a statement.

In 2015 it was the 2 loss Stanford who was left out in favor of Michigan St.

In 2016 Washington makes it in over 2 loss Oklahoma.

And in 2017, Alabama makes it in over 2 loss Ohio St and 2 loss USC.

If there is a pattern, it's "2 loss" gets left out without some great wins(Auburn if they had beat Georgia).

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh in 2012 Oregon State finished ranked #19. Below 5 SEC teams and above 9 SEC teams. But hey. Keep making fun of Oregon State.LOL

Keep pretending you said something you didn't and keep talking about Oregon St when they weren't shitty and eventually you might say something that sticks.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, now you're saying you said ranked "higher", if I have to interpret what you meant vs what you said I will need a box of rocks to filter your shit through.

You said "Shitty Oregon State was ranked at times when probably the majority of SEC teams wern't."

So now, you want to point out that when Oregon St wasn't shitty they were pretty good. lol.

Fucking great, be my guest, talk about that one time at band camp 20 years ago, but right now, they are shitty...about as shitty as Mercer.

If Mercer is ever ranked when we play them, I will of course pimp them out. Outside of that I will call them the shit that they are. Just like Oregon St and the other 13 equally shitty teams scheduled by Pac-12 schools this year.

BTW Kentucky won a National Championship in 1951, lumping them in with the non-champions of the world like Oregon St does a disservice to the proud legacy that is Kentucky Football.

Thats the point . Some times Oregon State can be good or decent and at times really good. Not like you're shitty trucking school games who at their best are still pretty bad. But way to miss the point. LOL

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You weren't clear but you are saying by the third OOC game?
No I'm saying with a 9 game schedule.Conferences schools still have 3 OOC games to work with.Whether it be shifting games.I believe Wisconsin canceled a series.The transition to 9 conference games.And solutions to scheduling has been made.By other P5 conferences before.Its ben proven it can be done

ie SC still plays ND every year,P5 and a mid major

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would still have a 3 game OOC.Schedule the SEC rival in clumsiness case SC east.If ND doesn't want to join a conference which they are already in for NCAA basketball.And rotate ND as the other OOC.Its not like other conferences that moved to 9 game schedules didnt find solutions.

OK.

Now as I covered earlier in the thread Clemson and South Carolina got "suggestions" from some SC legislators that instead of paying teams like Utah State and Eastern Michigan to come in for games that we pay in-state schools instead. When the SC legislature suggests to a SC public school they do something they do it or else it quickly becomes state law. As long as NCAA rules count a FCS game towards bowl eligibility Clemson and South Carolina are going to have one on the schedule.

Now tell me exactly how we are going to work those games in.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the point . Some times Oregon State can be good or decent and at times really good. Not like you're shitty trucking school games who at their best are still pretty bad. But way to miss the point. LOL

Great, but as a conference you still played 13 shitty schools that you scheduled...again, shitty Oregon St was just the moldy grape on top of the 13 team shit sundae. Which is the reason that all of the Pac-12 SOS's are worse this year than they would otherwise be...because of shitty Oregon St.

Yet, you dumbasses are saying it's the 9 game schedule that kept you out of the playoffs.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK.

Now as I covered earlier in the thread Clemson and South Carolina got "suggestions" from some SC legislators that instead of paying teams like Utah State and Eastern Michigan to come in for games that we pay in-state schools instead. When the SC legislature suggests to a SC public school they do something they do it or else it quickly becomes state law. As long as NCAA rules count a FCS game towards bowl eligibility Clemson and South Carolina are going to have one on the schedule.

Now tell me exactly how we are going to work those games in.
Suggest they play that game as their mid major/Fcs game.Play SC east as their rivalry and either a P5 or ND "pending on when they are in said ACC teams rotation.Then a nine game conference schedule

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I'm saying with a 9 game schedule.Conferences schools still have 3 OOC games to work with.Whether it be shifting games.I believe Wisconsin canceled a series.The transition to 9 conference games.And solutions to scheduling has been made.By other P5 conferences before.Its ben proven it can be done

So you still haven't answered the question. You were bitching about the late season FCS games being an advantage, at what point in the season does it cease to be an advantage?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well SOS clearly does not matter very much anymore. SO might as well cancel any tough OOC games and replace them with San Jose State or Cal Poly.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well SOS clearly does not matter very much anymore. SO might as well cancel any tough OOC games and replace them with San Jose State or Cal Poly.
That's the other option. The other P5 conferences drop to 8 games. And schedule an FCS game in november. While it would be providing uniformity. I may get sick seeing USC play an FCS team

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correlation doesn't equal causation.

The ACC and SEC haven't been left out because they have been the 2 best conferences over the playoff era.

Alabama has made it every year.
Clemson has now made it every year but the 1st one, which is when Florida St went.
And Georgia went this year.

Otherwise, 1 conference has to be left out by default.

Ohio St made it in over Big12 in 2014 because they beat Wisconsin in their championship game 59-0 while the 2 Big12 teams became the "1 true champion" and didn't make a statement.

In 2015 it was the 2 loss Stanford who was left out in favor of Michigan St.

In 2016 Washington makes it in over 2 loss Oklahoma.

And in 2017, Alabama makes it in over 2 loss Ohio St and 2 loss USC.

If there is a pattern, it's "2 loss" gets left out without some great wins(Auburn if they had beat Georgia).
Yep. 1 or more conferences will always be left out and so far it's always been a 9 game conference . You can claim it's not relevant but that doesn't make you correct . So far the evidence is what it is

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ask yourself where you would have been last year without the Oklahoma win.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. 1 or more conferences will always be left out and so far it's always been a 9 game conference . You can claim it's not relevant but that doesn't make you correct . So far the evidence is what it is

Sherlock is on the case...

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ight out of the flat earthers handbook. More of your fact less bullshit.[/QUOTE]

You quoted me you idiot. LOL. I gave you two examples
Great, but as a conference you still played 13 shitty schools that you scheduled...again, shitty Oregon St was just the moldy grape on top of the 13 team shit sundae. Which is the reason that all of the Pac-12 SOS's are worse this year than they would otherwise be...because of shitty Oregon St.

Yet, you dumbasses are saying it's the 9 game schedule that kept you out of the playoffs.

LOL. When did I say it kept us out of the playoffs? Go look and show me. There's a difference between saying the SEC schedules like pussies and their SOS is bullshit (which is true) and saying Alabama doesnt deserve to be in the playoff or consideration for the playoff. USC isnt' one of the top teams this year at least not in the top four and Alabama is clearly a great team. That doesn't mean that it's not true that the SEC gets favorable treatment because they don't have a 9 game conference schedule which gives them less losses automatically and bumps up their SOS because it ranks teams higher than they should be and makes lower teams bowl eligible when they werent that good. .

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask yourself where you would have been last year without the Oklahoma win.

Look at where it got them. Throttled by a team that "coasted" in with an eight game conference schedule and played a FCS team. To hear some talk one would think that a team tested with a 9 conference, no FCS schedule would be battle tested. I would at least expect them to score.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you still haven't answered the question. You were bitching about the late season FCS games being an advantage, at what point in the season does it cease to be an advantage?
I answered your question. With a 9 game conference schedule. Clemson would have 3 OOC games a year to work with. You keep South Carolina as one. Rivalry game i.e. USC Notre Dame. You play Either ND or a P5 with a second OOC game. Depending if your slated to play ND that year. Or just add ND to the football conference.They are already in the ACC for basketball. And the third game can be the FCS, Mid najor. If it's in state due to political reasons. That's their choice. That would be three games and a nine game schedule. That's just one of many solutions. See the methods the PAC and B1G used when they made changes. It can be done it has been done :L

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no evidence. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

There are specific reasons why teams are chosen and when you look at them individually you can see the actual reasons.

Hell, the Big12 ADDED a game to be more competitive.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the other option. The other P5 conferences drop to 8 games. And schedule an FCS game in november. While it would be providing uniformity. I may get sick seeing USC play an FCS team

I'm all for dropping any major OOC games now with the 9 game OOC game schedule. I mean I enjoy them more than watching blowouts every week, but what's the point in risking a loss when you're already playing an extra conference game? Let's be real, what are the chances Ohio State or USC ever get shut out of the playoff in a year where they have 0 or 1 losses?

I know we just cancelled an upcoming series with Tennessee (that's kind of like playing a higher level MAC team now anyways, am-i-rite? lol)

If you're gonna play a P5 play the Oregon State (who we ironically play next year) and Kansas of the world. Then throw some in state money @ Kent State & Akron.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for dropping any major OOC games now with the 9 game OOC game schedule. I mean I enjoy them more than watching blowouts every week, but what's the point in risking a loss when you're already playing an extra conference game?

I know we just cancelled an upcoming series with Tennessee (that's kind of like playing a higher level MAC team now anyways, am-i-rite? lol)

If you're gonna play a P5 play the Oregon State (who we ironically play next year) and Kansas of the world. Then throw some in state money @ Kent State & Akron.

Chicken Shit.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at where it got them. Throttled by a team that "coasted" in with an eight game conference schedule and played a FCS team.
And Wisconsin took a hit for a weak OOC SOS as Washington was judged for a weak OOC SOS the year before. Under these structures you can not viably compare teams playing a 9 game conference schedule. With teams playing an 8 game conference schedule. There are more losses in a conference that plays a 9 game conference schedule.Thats simple math. They would all have to go 9 or 8