• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seriously, Dave Pasch deserves a medal

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind Walton. Maybe it's because he thinks Arizona is the greatest team of all time and the Pac-12 is the premier conference.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's on them as he was a great basketball player. Haven't seen anyone on here state who has great knowledge with the ability to convey that knowledge.....other than themselves, of course. LOL. The hypocrisy and arrogance on this board is laughable.

I'll be arrogant all I want to be about my basketball knowledge. I have a feeling I had watched more basketball by the time I was 7 than you have watched your whole life. Your comment about Bill Walton making good points proves the likelihood of that is quite high

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I really enjoyed listening to Coach Knight when he first started announcing, precisely because he used to break down the Xs and Os. He would identify aspects of a play that spoke to coaching theory or philosophy, rather than just say whether a player screwed up or not. He would go into 'why'.

Bill Walton seems to take everything personal. He is supposed to be there to add insight into the game that the play by play announcer lacks the insight to convey. The color commentator can be someone who just breaks up the monotony of strictly calling the play by play, but when it's a former coach or player, then their role is more to add valuable insight of the game, to the fan.

As someone who never played the sport, but has watched religiously for about 2 decades, I learned a great deal from Coach Knight. And I l am far more interested in learning about the game as I watch it, than I am in being entertained. Bill Walton might as well be some comedian. He actually adds very little insight compared to the overwhelming amount of pure garbage that he fills the airwaves with, when he announces. I don't care about his hyperboles, his vignettes from some Grateful Dead or Linda Ronstadt concert from the 70's. I don't care about his one year of law school at Stanford and his professors. I want to hear someone who knows about basketball, talk about basketball. He calls players by the wrong name, he lists inaccurate stats, and he is just all around condescending.

Just watch. I'm not saying that he offers zero analysis, but there is just so much bullshit. He honesty gives his opinion, and I don't have a problem with that. But his opinion is not fact, and he passes it off as such. That is what I have a problem with. I don't want to hear the play by play guy have to continuously keep the color commentator on the topic of the very game that he is there to cover.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq_D0v6wh8w]Bill Walton is Crazy - Arizona vs UCLA - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't tell if Walton is being serious or not most of the time. Like they'll show something on replay and it's clear to everyone what's going on but he'll adamantly take the opposite stance. Sometimes I think he must be joking but then other times you can tell by the tone of Pasch's responses he's thinking "WTF...this dude burnt his brain up in the 70s. How is he alive?"

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's kept around for that great big beautiful smile.