• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Pens vs Rangers round 2

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A healthy and rust-free Martin is a key to our defensive success. I don't know if there is a more important player on our team than him.

:agree: also Niskanen. We need to take a lot of hard slap shots against this block happy Rangers team and Nisky's shots have the most velocity behind them. Not saying I want to see anyone hurt but I want Ranger players to feel the hurt when jumping in front of our shots.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A healthy and rust-free Martin is a key to our defensive success. I don't know if there is a more important player on our team than him.

There is another

4.jpg

He must deliver

:laugh3:

:pray:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is another

4.jpg

He must deliver

:laugh3:

:pray:

:laugh:

Obviously MAF has to come up big for us, but any goaltender does. The effect Martin has on the defense when he's back there is enormous, though. He's very calming, makes the rest of the D more inclined to make the right plays.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh:

Obviously MAF has to come up big for us, but any goaltender does. The effect Martin has on the defense when he's back there is enormous, though. He's very calming, makes the rest of the D more inclined to make the right plays.

You are right. Martin is their lynchpin. He's on a roll right now, too. Martin has the best +/- in the playoffs, and eight assists. His special team presence is big for this team.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the Pens, as a team, play like they did in game 5 and most of game 6 (minus the last 10 minutes) this should be a 5 game series. Nash shows up less than Crosby for Christs' sake!

I, like in the previous series, expect them to roll these clowns...but, like we all know, our D is horrific. And Sid can't score to save his momma's life. Either of those two improve marginally, and it's over for the Rags....

And I expect great things from the Goc-Bennett-Stemp line...they rocked it and the Pens didn't lose when Goc played!

We need more Goc!:lol:
Not sure why Fleury is getting ragged on...He beat the Vezna trophy puike and is the Pens best goalie EVER, as a franchise! He isn't the one giving up 40+ shots
Lets Go Pens!
Lets Go Pens!
Lets Go Pens!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the Pens, as a team, play like they did in game 5 and most of game 6 (minus the last 10 minutes) this should be a 5 game series. Nash shows up less than Crosby for Christs' sake!

I, like in the previous series, expect them to roll these clowns...but, like we all know, our D is horrific. And Sid can't score to save his momma's life. Either of those two improve marginally, and it's over for the Rags....

And I expect great things from the Goc-Bennett-Stemp line...they rocked it and the Pens didn't lose when Goc played!

We need more Goc!:lol:
Not sure why Fleury is getting ragged on...He beat the Vezna trophy puike and is the Pens best goalie EVER, as a franchise! He isn't the one giving up 40+ shots
Lets Go Pens!
Lets Go Pens!
Lets Go Pens!

I don't think Fleury's getting ragged on. In fact, I think most--if not all--of us are pleased with him so far this postseason.

The nice thing about Bennett-Goc-Stempniak is that it gives Sutter Neal and Jokinen as linemates, which allows him to tap into his offensive game.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAF really has been decent so far but what I fear most about him is when he lets in a soft goal, it is typically at the worst moments for it to happen. At least it seems that way. Game 6 for sure. He has been much better so far this year compared to last years playoffs as we all know.

I dunno? I am having a tough time deciding who I think will win this next series. I believe it is totally in the Pens hands and not the Rangers(unless Hank goes Halak).

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I would have preferred playing the Flyers to see the spectacle that series would have been, I think this is a far better matchup for the Pens for two reasons: (1) Pens are better down the middle and that will wear on the Rags--I take the Pens 4 centers all day over the Rangers 4 centers, and (2) the Rangers PP has been awful and that might represent the lucky break the Pens' PK needs to get their legs under them again. A lot of the Pens' troubles seem to start either with a poor PK effort or a dumbass decision on the PP leading to an offensive chance for the other team. The only thing that worries me is more undisciplined play/decision making by the Pens and Lundquist being red hot and stealing the series. I say Pens in 6.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I would have preferred playing the Flyers to see the spectacle that series would have been, I think this is a far better matchup for the Pens for two reasons: (1) Pens are better down the middle and that will wear on the Rags--I take the Pens 4 centers all day over the Rangers 4 centers, and (2) the Rangers PP has been awful and that might represent the lucky break the Pens' PK needs to get their legs under them again. A lot of the Pens' troubles seem to start either with a poor PK effort or a dumbass decision on the PP leading to an offensive chance for the other team. The only thing that worries me is more undisciplined play/decision making by the Pens and Lundquist being red hot and stealing the series. I say Pens in 6.

Yeah Rangers are the preferable matchup, if we play to our potential I like our chances but if we play like we did against the Blue Jackets then no chance.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doob,

Scroll down and you will find the replay of Mason getting this "concussion" he said he got against the Pens. Don't want to post on the Flyers board because I don't have any interest in an argument but if karma is going to get Megna, he has nothing to be worried about IMO. Pay close attention to Masons head during the slo-motion replay.

theScore

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doob,

Scroll down and you will find the replay of Mason getting this "concussion" he said he got against the Pens. Don't want to post on the Flyers board because I don't have any interest in an argument but if karma is going to get Megna, he has nothing to be worried about IMO. Pay close attention to Masons head during the slo-motion replay.

theScore

Thanks dude, I've been looking for that video ! Thanks for looking out :suds:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Main thing for me is that our dmen keep turnovers to a minimal in our own zone. That's what worries me the most. Also beware of giving up shorthanded chances. We gave up way too many SH chances against the Blue Jackets and the Rangers are really good at getting short handed chances.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to the Rangers' speed, though, I would probably play Despres over Bortuzzo in this series. Or even Engelland. Either of those guys are more likely to keep up with the Rangers' speedy forwards. For the same reason, Letang will be especially integral to our success.

If Byslma's ever going to scratch Glass and Adams, this is the series to do it. The Rangers are the fastest team left in the Eastern Conference. Gibbons, Vitale, and Megna have the best chance of matching that speed and giving us a playable fourth line. Against a big, physical team like Columbus, I could see some matchup benefit to playing Adams and Glass, since they are more physical (I still prefer Megna and Gibbons), but Adams will be more useless than usual against the Rangers and Glass will see his own usefulness drastically diminish.

This is also the point at which we need to start using Crosby, Kunitz, and Jokinen, at the very least, consistently on the penalty kill. We'll need their skill and ability to turn the puck the other way.

If we try to get into a fast break game with New York, it won't work. On talent alone, we could get away with letting Columbus play their crashing game, but we cannot allow New York to play their game. They're too talented. A neutral zone clog and opportunistic rushes the other way is probably our recipe for success here. Puck possession in the attacking end as much as possible, obviously, but a real focus on preventing the Rangers from coming through the neutral zone with any kind of speed.

The thought of Glass and Adams getting stuck out there against any of the Rags lines terrifies me.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ if DB puts out a line of Vitale, Glass and Adams as soon as that line touches the ice, if I am Vigneault I change to any group of their fast forwards. Doesn't matter how long the others been out there you put out a St. Louis/Zuccarello and their likes they Pens don't stand a chance.

Nothing against Vitale but he can't cover 3 forward on his own.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't scratch Adams or Glass, they both went to Ivy League schools, apparently that means a lot to Disco.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crosby cannot be on the penalty kill...he's a liability out there past the faceoff. That's why he isn't on the penalty kill. Kunitz has had some spot opportunity but I don't see him capable of being a PK also...

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crosby cannot be on the penalty kill...he's a liability out there past the faceoff. That's why he isn't on the penalty kill. Kunitz has had some spot opportunity but I don't see him capable of being a PK also...

Eh, what he doesn't have in the shot blocking dept he is much smarter and has much more skills in turning the puck over than guys like Adams and Glass.

There are ways to kill penalties, the Pens sit back, and clog the middle. The Flyers attack the other teams pp. Really when the Pens are going poorly ok the pk, they should toss out some skilled players and have them attack to give a different look.