• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Serena Returning to Indian Wells

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good news for the organizers of Indian Wells when the women's marque player who had boycotted Indian Wells over 13 years now decided to forgive and come back according to Serena penning this at Time .com.

Serena Williams Indian Wells: Player Announces Return to Tournament

"When I arrived at Indian Wells in 2001, I was looking to take another title. I was ready. But however ready I was, nothing could have prepared me for what happened in the final. As I walked out onto the court, the crowd immediately started jeering and booing. In my last match, the semifinals, I was set to play my sister, but Venus had tendinitis and had to pull out. Apparently that angered many fans. Throughout my whole career, integrity has been everything to me. It is also everything and more to Venus. The false allegations that our matches were fixed hurt, cut and ripped into us deeply. The under*current of racism was painful, confusing and unfair. In a game I loved with all my heart, at one of my most cherished tournaments, I suddenly felt unwelcome, alone and afraid."
When I was booed at Indian Wells—by what seemed like the whole world—my voice of doubt became real. I didn’t understand what was going on in that moment. But worse, I had no desire to even win. It happened very quickly.
This haunted me for a long time. It haunted Venus and our family as well. But most of all, it angered and saddened my father. He dedicated his whole life to prepping us for this incredible journey, and there he had to sit and watch his daughter being taunted, sparking cold memories of his experiences growing up in the South.
Thirteen years and a lifetime in tennis later, things feel different. A few months ago, when Russian official Shamil Tarpischev made racist and sexist remarks about Venus and me, the WTA and USTA immediately condemned him. It reminded me how far the sport has come, and how far I’ve come too." Read more from Serena Williams Indian Wells: Player Announces Return to Tournament

Now that is a matured young woman talking.

backupboo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Serena in my view is well aware of her place in history (tennis) and as a trailblazer for having the courage to stand up to racism. I hope the racist have grown out of their hateful ways.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If she feels comfortable going back to that place after what happened to her when she was a 19 year old kid, then good for her.

As a tennis fan, I'm glad that there will be something worth watching when there's WTA coverage on TV at Indian Wells. What a change that will be.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If she feels comfortable going back to that place after what happened to her when she was a 19 year old kid, then good for her.

As a tennis fan, I'm glad that there will be something worth watching when there's WTA coverage on TV at Indian Wells. What a change that will be.

:agree:

I'll be rarely watching WTA when Serena leaves

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I rarely watch it now:lol:

Still, I like to see if there are any promising younger players coming up. Keys finally living up to her potential is great to see. She will overtake most everyone in a year at the pace she is improving. Muguruza has a lot of potential too.

Mens tennis has more variety though.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rarely watch it now:lol:

Still, I like to see if there are any promising younger players coming up. Keys finally living up to her potential is great to see. She will overtake most everyone in a year at the pace she is improving. Muguruza has a lot of potential too.

Mens tennis has more variety though.

I think this is too optimistic. Many times we claim someone by one tournament's performance is the next potential American to take the mantle only for them to flame out. I am sure with Serena and Venus, had they not staggered their career either as a result of injuries or their desire to pursue education or other interests they would have been burnt out by now. Only time will tell with the two Madisons.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking even more forward to Indian Wells now. Thanks.

Will Venus play?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't make a point of watching it but I don't mind surfing through and getting stuck on occasion.

But I have to have an interest in the 2 players.

I can turn on an ATP match and see some low rated Spaniard playing a similar Russian and turn it off too.

So it sort of evens out for me over time.

Texas Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I heard Venus said she is not playing there. I think only reason Serena made the decision is to build points to maintain # 1 for this year. Also to avoid another sizeable fine. Maturity?? Possible but that is not the reason.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I heard Venus said she is not playing there. I think only reason Serena made the decision is to build points to maintain # 1 for this year. Also to avoid another sizeable fine. Maturity?? Possible but that is not the reason.
I think only reason Serena made the decision is to build points to maintain # 1 for this year. Also to avoid another sizeable fine. Maturity?? Possible but that is not the reason.

Are you sure? How come she has not done that to build points and "maintain #1" all these years? She could have done that last year? She was still # 1 then. In other words, you do not buy the argument she presented? Okay.

Texas Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps because it is the 40th Anniv. of this tournament and there will be a "party-Celebration atmosphere that she chooses to play here. Serena's Dad as well as Serena herself has said she holds grudges. As many years as she has chosen not to play here makes me believe that to do so now is for a reason other than "forgiveness". And when Venus says we have not talked about "it", I really have some question. They say they talk several times a day and about everything. Not this??? UMMMM

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The WTA benefits from her being there as does American tennis in general.

If Venus ever chooses to go back again some day, then good for her.

I want to thank actual tennis fans on here once again. I encourage reasonable adults to come here and post more often. Please!

Texas Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever her reasons, it will be nice for the fans and for the tournament to have her back.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serena and her mom Oracene Price attended the event.

Venus and her father, Richard Williams did not.

Serena withdrew from her SF match with an injury. But overall, she seemed to be in good spirits about the event, and played well.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venus Williams sent home by Carla.