• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

September callups

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My idea of what the active roster will look like on Sept. 6th, the day after the minor league season ends (because Sac & Rich won't be playing beyond then):

Pitchers (20)
Ty Blach
Clayton Blackburn
Madison Bumgarner
Matt Cain
Santiago Casilla
Johnny Cueto
Cory Gearrin
George Kontos
Derek Law
Javier Lopez
Matt Moore
Steven Okert
Josh Osich
Jake Peavy
Sergio Romo
Jeff Samardzija
Will Smith
Chris Stratton
Hunter Strickland
Albert Suarez

Catchers (2)
Trevor Brown
Buster Posey

Infielders (7)
Ehire Adrianza, ss
Brandon Belt, 1st
Brandon Crawford, ss
Conor Gillaspie, 3rd
Eduardo Nunez, 3rd
Joe Panik, 2nd
Kelby Tomlinson, 2nd

Outfielders (6)
Gregor Blanco
Angel Pagan
Jarrett Parker
Hunter Pence
Denard Span
Mac Williamson

60 day dl: Chris Heston

That is 35 guys, which is usually the most the team carries. This assumes that the Giants keep both Adrianza and Gillaspie (by sending down Williamson or putting him on the dl) and only dfa Reynolds. They would have 2 spots available on the 40 man roster at that point. The next group I see as the most likely dfa candidates, if the team wanted to make room for at least three more players.

Possible dfa candidates: Ray Black, Kyle Crick, Joan Gregorio, Steven Okert, Albert Suarez.

I do think that Black and Crick are the most likely, with Gregorio the least likely. Suarez may be seen as a spare part with Smith and Moore on the club. However, I doubt that more than one of these guys, that one being most likely Black, gets dfa'd.

On the fence: Jean Machi, Vin Mazzaro, Matt Reynolds (if he is still around), Tyler Rogers, Miguel Olivo, Gorkys Hernandez, Travis Ishikawa.

Doubtful if any of the 4 pitchers get a 40 man spot but my money would be on Rogers, if any. Olivo doesn't deserve a spot but he's a catcher and it seems most teams like a 3rd guy behind the dish in the last month of the season. A few on this board have wanted to see Hernandez on the big club since spring training. While he's the most deserving among position players, he probably doesn't get the call unless an outfielder (or two) go down with an injury. Ishikawa has played better of late and may be one final swan song with the big club, but that is no sure thing. I really doubt Arroyo gets called up this year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assumed Reynolds would need to be dfa'd. I was wrong. Adding him back to the 40 man roster, that puts it at 36 guys I think will be up in September.

Pitchers (21)
Ty Blach
Clayton Blackburn
Madison Bumgarner
Matt Cain
Santiago Casilla
Johnny Cueto
Cory Gearrin
George Kontos
Derek Law
Javier Lopez
Matt Moore
Steven Okert
Josh Osich
Jake Peavy
Matt Reynolds
Sergio Romo
Jeff Samardzija
Will Smith
Chris Stratton
Hunter Strickland
Albert Suarez

Catchers (2)
Trevor Brown
Buster Posey

Infielders (7)
Ehire Adrianza, ss
Brandon Belt, 1st
Brandon Crawford, ss
Conor Gillaspie, 3rd
Eduardo Nunez, 3rd
Joe Panik, 2nd
Kelby Tomlinson, 2nd

Outfielders (6)
Gregor Blanco
Angel Pagan
Jarrett Parker
Hunter Pence
Denard Span
Mac Williamson

Travis Ishikawa has been on fire lately so I think its becoming very possible he comes up in September.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I haven't thought about is the Giants have had a penchant for leaving guys on the 40 man roster off the team in September (Jarrett Parker in 2014 and again in 2015 before injuries, maybe it was just him). I would think that Steven Okert may be a candidate for that this year.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Olivo gets a call in September. It's a long season, and Brown has been a fine backup, but we may need 3 catchers in September.

I also want to see Hernandez called up, he is certainly deserving.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Heston started rehab in the AZL. However, I think he is still considered a long shot to be active next month.
Here is the list of guys in triple A who I think deserve a cup, based on their statistical performance:
Jarret Parker - .934 OPS
Travis Ishikawa - .818 OPS. His slash for the past month is .302/.410/.563
Mac Williamson - .816 OPS. Currently on rehab assignment in Sac.
Gorkys Hernandez - .805 OPS
Ramiro Pena - .792 OPS
Grant Green - .768 OPS
Matt Reynolds - scoreless in 17 appearances across 3 levels in the Giants' org this year, WHIP of 0.649
Cory Gearrin - 1.29 ERA, 0.86 WHIP in 7 rehab appearances. Will be activated before September.
Ty Blach - 1.13 WHIP in 23 starts. 3.36 ERA in the PCL (and only 3 unearned runs)!
Albert Suarez - 2.50 ERA, 1.19 WHIP in 7 appearances (5 starts) with Sac.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Heston started rehab in the AZL. However, I think he is still considered a long shot to be active next month.
Here is the list of guys in triple A who I think deserve a cup, based on their statistical performance:
Jarret Parker - .934 OPS
Travis Ishikawa - .818 OPS. His slash for the past month is .302/.410/.563
Mac Williamson - .816 OPS. Currently on rehab assignment in Sac.
Gorkys Hernandez - .805 OPS
Ramiro Pena - .792 OPS
Grant Green - .768 OPS
Matt Reynolds - scoreless in 17 appearances across 3 levels in the Giants' org this year, WHIP of 0.649
Cory Gearrin - 1.29 ERA, 0.86 WHIP in 7 rehab appearances. Will be activated before September.
Ty Blach - 1.13 WHIP in 23 starts. 3.36 ERA in the PCL (and only 3 unearned runs)!
Albert Suarez - 2.50 ERA, 1.19 WHIP in 7 appearances (5 starts) with Sac.

Hmmm, some lefties that didn't cost us any prospects.

I would be fine with all of these choices. Not sure how Ishikawa and some of the others will fit as he is not on the 40, is he? I am assuming one has to be on the 40 to be called up.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, some lefties that didn't cost us any prospects.

I would be fine with all of these choices. Not sure how Ishikawa and some of the others will fit as he is not on the 40, is he? I am assuming one has to be on the 40 to be called up.
The 4 pitchers will all likely get called up as they are already on the 40 man. Yes, callups have to be on the 40 man roster. Hernandez, Ishikawa, Pena and Green are all off the 40 man. I think only one of Hernandez and Ishikawa get added and its possible that neither Pena nor Green get purchased. Just don't see the Giants dfa'ing more than one or two of the guys they have.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One has to be on the 'active roster' to play in a major league game. Most of the season the active roster contains 25 guys. In September, it can contain up to 40. A player must be on the the 40-man roster before he can be added to the active roster and play in the majors. In Sep the two are functionally equivalent.

Reactions: LHG

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can the team call up writers/reporters in September? Asking for a friend.

Would love to see Gorkys and Ishikawa get on September rosters, have certainly earned it.

I'd like to see what Gregorio looked like out of the bullpen with the FB-slider combo, but know that isn't realistic.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would love to see Gorkys and Ishikawa get on September rosters, have certainly earned it.

I'd like to see what Gregorio looked like out of the bullpen with the FB-slider combo, but know that isn't realistic.

I wouldn't say so. He's on the 40-man.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say Gregorio has a better chance than Hernandez or Ishikawa to make the team in September because, as msg mentioned, he is already on the 40 man and they are not.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is some news you can use.

Ramiro Pena has torn ligaments in his ankle, his season is over.

Jarrett Parker, who has missed past four games, has wrist soreness, didn't take BP yesterday. Return TBD
Looks like we can definitely cross Pena on this list. Remains to be seen how this affects Parker. If he is done, makes Hernandez and/or Ishikawa more likely to get a call up.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the new month coming in less than a week, and the AAA season ending on Sept. 5th, I thought I'd revisit this thread, especially considering a couple of guys got called up these past few days.

Here's what we do know - Albert Suarez and Gorkys Hernandez are now on the active roster. They probably won't get sent down (especially Hernandez, unless they decide they are done with him). What is less known is if Parker will be activated tomorrow and, if so, who's spot he will replace.

Stealing from cal's current roster thread, this is what we've got:

Pitchers:
Madison Bumgarner, Johnny Cueto, Matt Moore, Jeff Samardzija, Albert Suarez, Javier Lopez, Will Smith, Hunter Strickland, George Kontos, Derek Law, Sergio Romo, Santiago Casilla, Cory Gearrin
Catchers: Buster Posey, Trevor Brown
Infielders: Brandon Belt, Brandon Crawford, Conor Gillaspie, Joe Panik, Eduardo Nunez, Ehire Adrianza
Outfielders: Denard Span, Hunter Pence, Gorkys Hernandez, Angel Pagan
15-Day DL: Josh Osich (7/23), Mac Williamson (7/31), Matt Cain (8/17), Gregor Blanco (8/21), Jake Peavy (8/21)
60-Day DL: Chris Heston (6/28)
Minor leagues: Clayton Blackburn, Ty Blach, Ray Black, Joan Gregorio, Kyle Crick, Steven Okert, Chris Stratton, Matt Reynolds, Kelby Tomlinson, Jarrett Parker

That is 40 guys plus Heston. Heston has been rehabbing for about two weeks. He may get activated for September. That means 1 guy has to get dfa'd. Would the Giants dfa Crick for Heston? Additionally, since the FO has hinted that they want a 3rd catcher, someone else would need to get dfa'd. Is that Gregorio, Black, Reynolds or Tomlinson? Reynolds has looked great but is not a prospect. Tomlinson has hit well but the FO seems not too keen on him. Black is on the dl at Richmond and Gregorio has pitched poorly at AAA. Assuming Crick is already dfa'd, I assume Black is next.

This is my list of who gets called up by the 5th: Cain, Blackburn, Blach, Heston, Okert, Osich, Reynolds, Stratton, Olivo, Tomlinson, Parker, Williamson

Now I think that it is a decent possibility that Blanco gets shut down for the season. If so, the Giants may move Blanco to the 60 day dl, either to keep one of Crick or Black, or maybe open a 40 man spot for either Joe Nathan or Travis Ishikawa. I say, based on the FO's comments about not exposing any of the pitching to other teams, they just keep one of Crick or Black. Who knows, maybe Peavy is sat for the rest of the year and goes to the 60 as well. Maybe Heston just gets shut down. Then we may see Ishikawa up.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cain getting 60'd is a slight possibility as well. I would be shocked if it happens, but based on his performance, it is deserved.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an article speculating on September call ups - San Francisco Giants Morning Minute: Potential Roster Expansion Call-Ups. Nothing new here. In fact, the author doesn't seem to be aware that both Ray Black and Ramiro Pena are currently on the disabled list. I do find it funny that he talks not just of both AAA catchers but both guys in AA as well. Seems pretty far fetched to call up Jeff Arnold or even Steven Lerud.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here's your official answer:

Williamson, Osich, Ty Blach, Kelby Tomlinson, Matt Reynolds and Steven Okert.