• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

September Call-ups

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Note: I made a similar post at a different Pirates' discussion board. Thought it might provide an opportunity for some discussion here.)

It might not be too early to begin speculation about who might be called up by the Pirates after rosters expand on September 1.

This is a tough call, ESPECIALLY this season (assuming the Bucs stay in contention for a playoff spot). There appear to be several determining factors, including:

- Hurdle is not going to favor inexperienced players in a playoff race.

- The Pirates will be reluctant to strip Indy of too much talent while that team is competing in their own playoffs.

- The 40-man roster: The Pirates have 39 players on the 40-man roster (plus Gustavo Nunez and Charlie Morton on the 60-day DL). Beyond that single opening, every promotion to the 40-man roster must be accompanied by a corresponding removal.

- The team faces many important roster decisions before the next Rule 5 roster crunch).

So..... who will we see come September?

- Pitcher: This is where the most help is needed. The Pirates likely have Cruz returning from the DL. Most likely call-ups other than Cruz are Locke, Meek, and Leroux (who would need to be added to the 40-man roster). I don't see any other non-roster pitchers being added, UNLESS the team decides to DFA Dan McCutchen. (Hey, they MIGHT decide to bring McCutchen up again, even though Hurdle didn't use him at all during his two previous stints this season.) I see Morris, Wilson, and Welker as unlikely (even though they're on the 40-man roster) because Hurdle won't want to trust their lack of major league experience in important situations.

- Catcher: Fryer seems to be an obvious callup, in order to make McKenry available to PH when Barajas gets the start. Obviously, that also would work to make Barajas available to PH when McKenry starts. On the other hand, Fryer seems to be almost useless himself as a PH, and Barajas isn't much better. A better choice than Fryer might be Morales (who's a better hitter and has major league experience) or Tony Sanchez (who still has some potential). But both Morales and Sanchez would require a roster move. One other factor is that the Pirates must make a decision on their $3.5 mill option on Barajas for next season. However, given that Barajas is (at least) A. J.'s personal catcher, that decision no doubt will be deferred until the off-season. My preference: Since Fryer seems to be toast anyway, DFA Fryer and add Morales to the 40-man roster and bring him up when rosters expand.

- Other position players: Tabata seems the most obvious (unless the team feels that his punishment is incomplete. D'Arnaud seems likely as well, to provide another middle infielder AND a pinch runner. It's possible that Hague has missed his opportunity and that he will be DFA'd in favor of Clement being added to the 40-man. Navarro is a likely call-up..... because he's available and on the 40-man.

So..... my predictions (in no particular order) are:

Cruz (from DL)
Locke
Meek
Leroux (added to 40-man roster)
McCutchen???
Morales (added to 40-man roster; Fryer DFA)
Tabata
D'Arnaud
Clement (added to 40-man roster; Hague DFA)
Navarro

Final comments: I don't expect all these guys to arrive on September 1, due to Indianapolis' playoff situation. In fact, so much can happen between now and September 1 (waiver deals and decisions about the future) that I have little confidence in my list.

Anyone else care to share your thoughts?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice writeup, Mags.

I think Bryan Morris should be added to the callup list. Daniel McCutchen will probably be DFA'd sometime this offseason, so it wouldn't be a surprise if it happens a few months early.

Leroux just pitched 7 innings, on 75 pitches, allowing one hit, walking none and striking out five, with 13 ground balls outs. He should be the first one up, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice writeup, Mags.

I think Bryan Morris should be added to the callup list. Daniel McCutchen will probably be DFA'd sometime this offseason, so it wouldn't be a surprise if it happens a few months early.

Leroux just pitched 7 innings, on 75 pitches, allowing one hit, walking none and striking out five, with 13 ground balls outs. He should be the first one up, IMO.

Thanks, element.

I'd like to see Morris get his feet wet as well.

And I agree with you on Leroux. Seems that he wasn't crazy when he suggested last season that he'd like to give starting a try. Props to Pirates' management for giving him a chance.

The old adage (slightly modified) certainly applies: A team can never have too many starting candidates.....
- Bedard and Correia are probably gone for 2013.
- Burnett will be a year older.
- McDonald is still shaky.
- Karstens lacks a track record.
- Morton is out till at least mid-season with his TJ surgery.
- Owens is gone and Locke, Wilson, and the others at AAA are unproven.
- The younger guys (Cole, Taillon, et al) all seem AT LEAST a year or two away.

So..... it's great to see Leroux pitching well, and potentially adding himself to the list of starting candidates. To me, he seems a better bet than VandenHurk, Jo-Jo Reyes, or Daniel Cabrera.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, can never have enough starters, I would like to see Locke and/or Wilson get a shot at some point next year.

But I didn't think it was a good idea to convert Leroux to a starter, but it seems to be workng so far. Kudos to NH.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm..... this morning's P-G says that Wilson has been switched back to the bullpen. That, plus Hurdle's comments, may indicate that his chances of being brought up come September have improved.

Indianapolis' Wilson switches to bullpen - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

However, I'd rather see Wilson stay in the starting rotation and throw more pitches..... seems to me that would give him a better chance of repeating his delivery and improving his control. Plus, a lefty with his stuff would be more valuable as a starter.

Speculation: Perhaps this means that the Pirate brain trust believes that Wilson will never harness his control. Or it may mean that the team is higher on Locke vs. Wilson as a starter.