• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners vs. Texas Rangers 8/16-8/18

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not advocating that Martin consistently play LF, only that he is well prepared to play there. If working on getting good jumps and taking good routes is something he needs to work on, I don't see any reason for not doing that. I would think that he's up to the task at any OF spot.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Rangers decide to do with a lot of positions in the off season. Like: Is the Moreland experiment at first over? Kins to first, Profar to 2nd? Resign Cruz or not? Let Gentry go, and Murphy is probably toast! Keep AJ or go after McCann outta Atlanta?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be interesting to see what the Rangers decide to do with a lot of positions in the off season. Like: Is the Moreland experiment at first over? Kins to first, Profar to 2nd? Resign Cruz or not? Let Gentry go, and Murphy is probably toast! Keep AJ or go after McCann outta Atlanta?

True. I just hope that guys finish strong and make it easier for the front office to decide what to do.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. I just hope that guys finish strong and make it easier for the front office to decide what to do.

I trust our front office folks a lot. I do think they almost have to give a strong look at bringing back Cruz, due to his RBI output. According to what I read just yesterday, Rios is a headcase, so we'll see how he does for the rest of the season. His last 2 stops ended badly, at least apparently so.

AJ has been much better than I expected. But I don't know how well he's played in the locker room, and he is getting long in the tooth. Next year will be year 17 for him I think.

Anyway, let's get into the playoffs this season, and worry about the off season in the off season. haha

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust our front office folks a lot. I do think they almost have to give a strong look at bringing back Cruz, due to his RBI output. According to what I read just yesterday, Rios is a headcase, so we'll see how he does for the rest of the season. His last 2 stops ended badly, at least apparently so.

AJ has been much better than I expected. But I don't know how well he's played in the locker room, and he is getting long in the tooth. Next year will be year 17 for him I think.

Anyway, let's get into the playoffs this season, and worry about the off season in the off season. haha

That's pretty much how I feel. I'll leave to the hands of those more qualified than me to make the personnel moves.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Kinsler moved to first, then have Profar at second, Elvis at SS and Beltre at 3rd...Wow what an infield!

Yeah, jury still out on Moreland. He needs to have a super final month and 1/2 to raise his stock. But you can only make so many moves on the off season. Our priorties should be to re-sign Garza (if he proves his worth down the stretch), and that COF power bat (if Cruz is not coming back). It would be great to get a power bat for 1B, but don't think any are available this offseason. We had a chance a couple of years ago when Prince Fielder was available. TR Sullivan said that could have been JD's one regret at the end of last season.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kinsler moved to first, then have Profar at second, Elvis at SS and Beltre at 3rd...Wow what an infield!

Yeah, jury still out on Moreland. He needs to have a super final month and 1/2 to raise his stock. But you can only make so many moves on the off season. Our priorties should be to re-sign Garza (if he proves his worth down the stretch), and that COF power bat (if Cruz is not coming back). It would be great to get a power bat for 1B, but don't think any are available this offseason. We had a chance a couple of years ago when Prince Fielder was available. TR Sullivan said that could have been JD's one regret at the end of last season.

I don't think JD "regrets " not gettin prince

kdm1218

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for that contract. He won't play that out, at least not at the level one would want for that AAV.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: But I do feel the move of Kinsler to 1st has some merit - at least today. Maybe a change of scenery for Moreland is what the doctor ordered. Work really well for Davis. haha And I still believe Davis would have never become the player he is in Texas. He needed to move on, and he feels the same actually.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: But I do feel the move of Kinsler to 1st has some merit - at least today. Maybe a change of scenery for Moreland is what the doctor ordered. Work really well for Davis. haha And I still believe Davis would have never become the player he is in Texas. He needed to move on, and he feels the same actually.

What 1st basemen are available this offseason

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for that contract. He won't play that out, at least not at the level one would want for that AAV.

Even if I had to pick between yu and fielder not putting contract into the discussion I would take Yu no doubt

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Cuban Abreu is definitely worth taking a look at...he's getting rave reviews from his peers. I think Martin even commented favorably about him....

I recently read about him. I'm just hesitant on giving a Cuban defect that type of money. Seems they're all getting really good money without as much proper scouting for a long period of time. It seems Martin is a bargain and if he was on the market a year or two later the price may be significantly higher than what Texas paid gave him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Moving Kinsler to 1st does not improve the infield defensively. Offensively maybe, neither does it provide the power that was needed to replace what we thought Moreland would provide. You gain by replacing Moreland's batting average with Kinsler but lose at 2nd with Profar's average. Profar is expected to do better but we just don't know yet as was the case with Moreland.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recently read about him. I'm just hesitant on giving a Cuban defect that type of money. Seems they're all getting really good money without as much proper scouting for a long period of time. It seems Martin is a bargain and if he was on the market a year or two later the price may be significantly higher than what Texas paid gave him.
Sure, we need to do our due diligence on him, and he may not be MLB ready in 2014, but his peers who know him are speaking highly of him. He wont be cheap, but if he's anything like they're saying, he could be a $60 million bargain...

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am now more inclined to think TEX deals Profar for MLB ready SP rather than moving Moreland and Kinsler around to make room for him.

TEX has a pipeline of middle infielders in the minors including...

-Solarte @ Round Rock
-Odor (#3), Sardinas (#2), Rua @ Frisco
-Herrera and Alberto (#15) @ Myrtle Beach

Profar may be superior to some of the guys behind him but with TEX solid at SS and 2b for the coming seasons there is time for those in the minors to develop further perhaps making Profar more valuable to TEX in the near term as a trade piece.

2013 Prospect Watch | texasrangers.com: News

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving Kinsler to 1st does not improve the infield defensively. Offensively maybe, neither does it provide the power that was needed to replace what we thought Moreland would provide. You gain by replacing Moreland's batting average with Kinsler but lose at 2nd with Profar's average. Profar is expected to do better but we just don't know yet as was the case with Moreland.

everyone seems keen on moving Kinsler, whither it's in the outfield or to first. why not leave him at his best position and pursue a real 1st baseman.

have afeeling that Profar may be part of a package to bring in OF help or pitching