• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks coaching options

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Lincoln Riley is an intriguing choice.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not against retreads per say, after all Pete was a retread as was BB, Reid, McCarty, Bowles, Sean Payton, Doug Pederson and so on, but plenty of retreads have fallen flat also. I also see the attraction to grabbing a rising star early in a career. So much was made about Pete's age and many here have expressed the desire for someone more in tune with today's modern offense, a younger mind who install a offense that would create mismatches, scheme players open and yada yada.
Think after letting a storied HC go it's all important to hire someone that will get folks excited ( Something that Quinn won't do) but not at the expense of success. Also think who ever they hire they want a good working relationship with the GM so as not to repeat the experience between Holgrem and Ruskell ( This is where Jim Harbaugh may fall short and perhaps Vrabel).
Yeah, fair points that I don't really disagree with. "Fit" is an important element, and I trust JS to find that guy. Hopefully the one we want most is also the one who wants us.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Salk was talking about this yesterday with Brock. The bottom line thinking on the advantage of hiring an up-and-coming OC to be a HC vs a DC is that the way of the NFL is now leaning so hard toward offense that if you have a bright-mind OC then it's just a matter of time before they get hired away. So you put the offensive guy in at HC, and that insulates you from that eventuality. If you hire the DC to be the HC, then you also have to get the right offensive mind to be the OC, and then you'll be back at that same place in 2 or 3 years if they are successful.

Okay.

My issue with OC being a HC is Discipline. If you look back at history, DC are more likely to kick your ass, then pat you on the back. We need a ass kicker for DK and for the following reason

-I remember at one point during the Cowboys Thursday nighter that Al Michaels was saying that these were 2 of the most penalized teams in the NFL.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay.

My issue with OC being a HC is Discipline. If you look back at history, DC are more likely to kick your ass, then pat you on the back. We need a ass kicker for DK and for the following reason

-I remember at one point during the Cowboys Thursday nighter that Al Michaels was saying that these were 2 of the most penalized teams in the NFL.
I certainly agree we need someone with a little firmer hand than Pete to take the job from here. Pete is/was a great coach, but I strongly feel he went a little too far in the direction of letting players do just about whatever they wanted. I'm with you that we need to steer things back the other way a bit.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dan quinn will be pete 2.0, nothing will really change.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they hire that hack, Quinn, I'm done. Why he gets so much praise boggles my mind. The only thing he will establish is more of the same shit we've dealt with the past several seasons.
His defenses are usually pretty good and we need to get back to what worked before Clint Hurt took over. Get an up and coming OC and I think things can be different.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His defenses are usually pretty good and we need to get back to what worked before Clint Hurt took over. Get an up and coming OC and I think things can be different.
As a DC, yeah, his defenses have been pretty good (not great) but as a HC in Atlanta, they were terrible. And even this Dallas defense was a little bit of an illusion. Beat up on shitty teams with shitty QBs and looked soft vs good offenses. With McVay and Shanahan in our division, Quinn would be the same as Pete every year.

Reactions: MrS

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing about hiring a defensive coach that a lot of people don't get is that even if we manage to draft a QB and get a good O.C., the problem then becomes that O.C. will get hired somewhere else right away (1-2 years at best) and we have a young QB with a revolving door at O.C. It ruins a lot of these kids early on and they don't live up to their potential. Losing those OC's isn't as tough a transition if the HC is an offensive guy.
Another guy I wouldn't mind seeing them go after is Brian Callahan from the Bengals.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing about hiring a defensive coach that a lot of people don't get is that even if we manage to draft a QB and get a good O.C., the problem then becomes that O.C. will get hired somewhere else right away (1-2 years at best) and we have a young QB with a revolving door at O.C. It ruins a lot of these kids early on and they don't live up to their potential. Losing those OC's isn't as tough a transition if the HC is an offensive guy.
Another guy I wouldn't mind seeing them go after is Brian Callahan from the Bengals.
schneider specifically talked about that scenario

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
schneider specifically talked about that scenario

I feel like I've heard this argument a lot this offseason. I kinda get it but ultimately if you hire an OC that is that good and he gets poached, you should be able to get one of the other assistant coaches and elevate them up to run the same system. IF you have a strong foundation at the top.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like I've heard this argument a lot this offseason. I kinda get it but ultimately if you hire an OC that is that good and he gets poached, you should be able to get one of the other assistant coaches and elevate them up to run the same system. IF you have a strong foundation at the top.
Dan quinn lost shanahan and then lost sarkisian, then he got fired.

In todays NFL, it makes more sense to hire an offensive mind as HC and a seasoned DC with a good track record. Ron Rivera maybe?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a DC, yeah, his defenses have been pretty good (not great) but as a HC in Atlanta, they were terrible. And even this Dallas defense was a little bit of an illusion. Beat up on shitty teams with shitty QBs and looked soft vs good offenses. With McVay and Shanahan in our division, Quinn would be the same as Pete every year.
Getting to a SB isn't a failure but the FO didn't do anything to have a possible QoF in place when Matt Ryan's skills were declining. I don't think it would be Pete v2 cause I believe he would the OC run his style of offense. If not Quinn then I'm good with the Ravens DC as our HC.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I've always believed Pete's type of offense was fine and that you can win with it, I'm itching to see a offense like Shanahan or McVays that schemed players open and created mismatches. With the Seahawks WRs corp and RB corp a offense like that could be a lot of fun to watch. So I'm hoping either Ben Johnson( long shot) or Slowik is the hire as HC and then a good hire at DC.
Although their are solid hires available after that it will feel like a let down. Vrabel isn't a x and o guy and relies on his coordinators for that. Kind of like Dan Campbell HC for the Lions ( be interesting to see how he does without Ben Johnson) obviously this can work with the right coordinators ( for as long as they are there). MacDonald is the best choice if a defensive coach is desired at the helm but that puts a lot hope for the right hire at OC and who would that be. Some retread who runs a vanilla offense or maybe an assistant like the QB coach who may be able to run a more modern offense but doesn't have the experience yet so it's a unknown.
There are some dark horse candidates that could intrigue like Brian Callahan (Bengals), Frank Smith (Dolphins) Lincoln Riley from the college ranks but none of those have gotten any traction yet. Interesting time right now on this so important hire, I'm rooting for a home run rather then a safe pick here. I miss Paul Allen who I believed would of been bold ( owners have job security) and made some great choices in the past. I wonder is JS going to try to bunt or is he willing to swing for the fence? Have to wait and see.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I've always believed Pete's type of offense was fine and that you can win with it, I'm itching to see a offense like Shanahan or McVays that schemed players open and created mismatches. With the Seahawks WRs corp and RB corp a offense like that could be a lot of fun to watch. So I'm hoping either Ben Johnson( long shot) or Slowik is the hire as HC and then a good hire at DC.
Although their are solid hires available after that it will feel like a let down. Vrabel isn't a x and o guy and relies on his coordinators for that. Kind of like Dan Campbell HC for the Lions ( be interesting to see how he does without Ben Johnson) obviously this can work with the right coordinators ( for as long as they are there). MacDonald is the best choice if a defensive coach is desired at the helm but that puts a lot hope for the right hire at OC and who would that be. Some retread who runs a vanilla offense or maybe an assistant like the QB coach who may be able to run a more modern offense but doesn't have the experience yet so it's a unknown.
There are some dark horse candidates that could intrigue like Brian Callahan (Bengals), Frank Smith (Dolphins) Lincoln Riley from the college ranks but none of those have gotten any traction yet. Interesting time right now on this so important hire, I'm rooting for a home run rather then a safe pick here. I miss Paul Allen who I believed would of been bold ( owners have job security) and made some great choices in the past. I wonder is JS going to try to bunt or is he willing to swing for the fence? Have to wait and see.
Hiring quinn would feel like a schneider hasn't walked out from under pete's shadow.

I hope he takes a big swing and tries to really define himself in a new era completely divorced from the previous one. Its what the franchise desperately needs.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hiring quinn would feel like a schneider hasn't walked out from under pete's shadow.

I hope he takes a big swing and tries to really define himself in a new era completely divorced from the previous one. Its what the franchise desperately needs.
Which is one of the reasons Quinn won't be the choice.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3