• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scouting the Refs

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight's NHL Playoff Referees - 5/5/14 - Scouting The Refs

You guys ever seen this site? It's pretty nifty. One thing I found interesting was that pretty much all the refs I saw had a decent increase in PIMs handed out in the postseason compared to the regular season. Now, I'd have to look at year to year data (that I'm not sure is really available?) to see if this is a usual trend...but I've always been under the impression that the playoffs result in fewer PIMs. They include minors handed out too, and a lot of these guys are handing out another minor per game in the playoffs. So my question is: is this a new trend this year, or have I just been not paying attention in the past years?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight's NHL Playoff Referees - 5/5/14 - Scouting The Refs

You guys ever seen this site? It's pretty nifty. One thing I found interesting was that pretty much all the refs I saw had a decent increase in PIMs handed out in the postseason compared to the regular season. Now, I'd have to look at year to year data (that I'm not sure is really available?) to see if this is a usual trend...but I've always been under the impression that the playoffs result in fewer PIMs. They include minors handed out too, and a lot of these guys are handing out another minor per game in the playoffs. So my question is: is this a new trend this year, or have I just been not paying attention in the past years?

I think when you look at average PIM's, you have to take into account the 10 minute misconducts - sometimes in the playoffs the refs don't want things to get out of hand so they'll give guys 10 minutes so that's why it's higher in the playoffs, I would think

Sometimes the refs will call it tighter in the playoffs because they have pressure on them to get the calls right - it depends on the refs

It's funny, looking at Kelly Sutherland's stats, he gave out 13.7% more minors on the road team in the regular season but the home team only had a 43% winning percentage

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, looking at the refs for tonight's Kings/Ducks game, the Ducks have a pretty good record lately with those refs - but that could be a different story tonight, who knows

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had never personally seen the site, but I kept reading how "When so and so is ref, we get penalized more and have never won, blah blah blah..." Figured there had to be some kind of source.

And the refs used to swallow whistles in the playoffs. Overtime required the use of handguns to draw a penalty.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had never personally seen the site, but I kept reading how "When so and so is ref, we get penalized more and have never won, blah blah blah..." Figured there had to be some kind of source.

And the refs used to swallow whistles in the playoffs. Overtime required the use of handguns to draw a penalty.

Well, actually, the game 7 last week between the Flyers/Rangers was really good - very few penalties and those refs have had a history of games where they'd call lots of penalties, so it was much better than expected

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when you look at average PIM's, you have to take into account the 10 minute misconducts - sometimes in the playoffs the refs don't want things to get out of hand so they'll give guys 10 minutes so that's why it's higher in the playoffs, I would think

Sometimes the refs will call it tighter in the playoffs because they have pressure on them to get the calls right - it depends on the refs

It's funny, looking at Kelly Sutherland's stats, he gave out 13.7% more minors on the road team in the regular season but the home team only had a 43% winning percentage

Sure, that affects the PIMs, but doesn't explain +1 in minors handed out. I don't think this site allows us to go back to previous years, I was just intrigued to see the year by year trend.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually watched a little NBA yesterday (tv was on TSN expecting to see the Hawks - Wild game, but the Raptors - Nets game was still in the 4th quarter). In summary, we bitch and moan about the zebras in the NHL, but they look great compared to the NBA.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually watched a little NBA yesterday (tv was on TSN expecting to see the Hawks - Wild game, but the Raptors - Nets game was still in the 4th quarter). In summary, we bitch and moan about the zebras in the NHL, but they look great compared to the NBA.

NBA gets to pick and choose when to call stuff more than any other sport. No sport has such a great impact with officials as basketball. That Raps game was a great example: the final drive was a foul at any other point in the game, but not with under 5 seconds left. Also Joey Crawford.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA gets to pick and choose when to call stuff more than any other sport. No sport has such a great impact with officials as basketball. That Raps game was a great example: the final drive was a foul at any other point in the game, but not with under 5 seconds left. Also Joey Crawford.

Yep it's easy to fix games in that sport - even in football you can fix it somewhat

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep it's easy to fix games in that sport - even in football you can fix it somewhat

It's easy to hide a fix in the NBA because fouls are so ingrained into play. It's basically half the drives to the basket result in a foul.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy to hide a fix in the NBA because fouls are so ingrained into play. It's basically half the drives to the basket result in a foul.

Drives to the basket(foul) = Unintentionally hits the goalie(penalty) = Runs into the quarterback(10 yard penalty)

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would have expected the decrease in fighting minors - since there are generally very few fights in the playoffs - to offset vs. any increase from trying to keep the game under control.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My unscientific eye test tells me that the higher intensity, more physical defensive-minded play in the playoffs lends to a slight increase of penalties overall.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My unscientific eye test tells me that the higher intensity, more physical defensive-minded play in the playoffs lends to a slight increase of penalties overall.

Agreed - I think there are more penalties that the refs HAVE to call because they are obvious penalties