• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Safina Retires

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised to see a ceremony honoring the retirement of Dinara Safina at the end of the Madrid Open. Dinara Safina together with her brother Marat Safin became the only sibling tennis players to have been ranked No.1. However, she also never won a Grand Slam the elicited an unkind mockery from Serena regarding her status as #1 player. Good-bye Safina.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, now we know

looks like she gets all the chocolate cake she wants now

best of luck to her. she seemed like a nice person.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised to see a ceremony honoring the retirement of Dinara Safina at the end of the Madrid Open. Dinara Safina together with her brother Marat Safin became the only sibling tennis players to have been ranked No.1. However, she also never won a Grand Slam the elicited an unkind mockery from Serena regarding her status as #1 player. Good-bye Safina.

When was the ceremony? Was it during this Madrid Finals broadcast?

I wish Safina was able to play longer. Between 2008 - 2009, she had a fearless attitude and could grind others once the rally started.

Unfortunately, her serve was the weakest part of her game, which created for a bad matchup with Serena during the 2009 AO (since Serena is a great returner).

Venus also took it to her during 2009 Wimbledon, for similar reasons.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the ceremony? Was it during this Madrid Finals broadcast?

I wish Safina was able to play longer. Between 2008 - 2009, she had a fearless attitude and could grind others once the rally started.

Unfortunately, her serve was the weakest part of her game, which created for a bad matchup with Serena during the 2009 AO (since Serena is a great returner).

Venus also took it to her during 2009 Wimbledon, for similar reasons.

It was after Madrid finals during the championship ceremony.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks again for this thread. I went back to the Madrid ceremony on the DVR, and saw the Safina ceremony this time.

It was a nice tribute.

Sharapova also explicitly praised Safina during her winners' speech, saying that she didn't get a chance to be a part of the tribute, but that she wanted to personally thank Safina for being a great player, and for what Safina has also done for Russian tennis.

Safina's speech was in Spanish.