• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson: The most overrated player in the NFL

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've done well...both points in bold are spot on.

Admittedly I don't see a lot of SEA games but enough to have an opinion, I guess...what makes him function is he's got the arm to get the ball there, and athletic enough to make plays with his feet, but he doesn't "try" to make plays running...they happen.

IMO...the special trait he has is when the play breaks down, he can still make a play...but like a Steve Young, or a Rodgers, he's still playing the position...making progressions, etc. and delivering the ball. As you said...the OFC doesn't ask him to drop back enough to be a top 10 QB from a #s standpoint.

I'm still grounded in the taller guy, but RW can play...This may sound crazy, but I rather RW over Brees.

Errrr, well you're more of a gambler than me. :lol:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought there was a game last year that at the start of the 3rd QTR ..Wilson could not find his helmet for 10 minutes and nobody noticed. And the offense went on to score 10 points.

For contract reasons he said that never happened.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forget the oft injured WR they got, but he needs to be a big piece this year for them to repeat.

Percy Harvin or Sidney Rice? Take your pick... Both get injured a lot, and both played for the Vikes prior to the 'Hawks. I'm sure you meant Harvin, in which I agree. They lost Tate, so Harvin needs to step up big. They had some younger cats step up in the playoffs last season so I think Tate is replaceable. But I don't follow the team that closely, so I'd be interested to hear from a SEA fan on this as well.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick question for the haters, did you watch the atlanta playoff game in 2013?

Second question can you name a seahawk wide receiver?

Third question go do the research find a qb who has better numbers his first two seasons in the league.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like both Wilson and Brees but I still think Brees is a better qb right now. I had Wilson on my fantasy team so I watched and followed him a lot. I also watched him a lot when he played for the Badgers his senior year. He's a good kid and took full advantage of being on a really talented well balanced team. Wilson did a good job, a steady job but nothing stellar. He had a great team behind him. Great defense and a superb running game.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like both Wilson and Brees but I still think Brees is a better qb right now. I had Wilson on my fantasy team so I watched and followed him a lot. I also watched him a lot when he played for the Badgers his senior year. He's a good kid and took full advantage of being on a really talented well balanced team. Wilson did a good job, a steady job but nothing stellar. He had a great team behind him. Great defense and a superb running game.

Sorry, this just made me chuckle.

Not that I don't agree with your assessment, just don't need that qualifier.

J-Rod

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

Lmao I'm popping up some popcorn now.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Russell Wilson: The most overrated player in the NFL'??? What a dumb title for an article How in the hell can anyone say that?? IMO, if you are going to start calling QBs "overrated", then you better start with Peyton Manning and Tony Romo.

Last edited by a moderator:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if this is about the discussion around the recent rankings from NFL.com and ESPN, didnt the NFL top 100 just have him as the 5th best QB? Those players polled are just a bunch of Seahawk homers.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's simple: The better that defense was last year, the less Wilson had to do. Last years success was all about the defense.

Because the defense was so off the hook, the QB didn't have to do much - especially with Lynch at RB.

But that was last year.

Let's give him a few years to grow and mature and see what he can do. In time the OC will take the reigns off and let him open it up a bit.

Big Ben was in the same position. He had a great run game and defense to back him up early on and people thought he was over rated. Since then he's had to step up as the defense hasn't been as great in recent years. Ben led a comeback winning drive in SB XLIII - one of 5 come from behind drives that year. He's grown to the point where he doesn't need an off the hook defense in order to win.

We're just starting to get a sense of who Wilson is. Can he win without that great defense and running game?

Only time will tell.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to weigh in but I'm not sure how I feel about Wilson as a QB. I don't like him so it's difficult to be as objective as I should be. I think putting him in the top 10 is a little premature. I don't know that he's even a top 10 QB. He's right around there I guess. The Seahawks team is so good it's hard to quantify his actual value. He doesn't make big mistakes which is obviously important. I guess I just don't see him as a QB that can put a team on his back and carry them if that's what is needed.
Damn good comment, but would you consider Tony Romo or even Peyton Manning as a QB "that can put a team on his back and carry them if that's what is needed"?? True Peyton has lead his team to a few SBs, but IMO he chokes "big" time when his team really needs him.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pop2:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn good comment, but would you consider Tony Romo or even Peyton Manning as a QB "that can put a team on his back and carry them if that's what is needed"?? True Peyton has lead his team to a few SBs, but IMO he chokes "big" time when his team really needs him.

Peyton, yes. For all his issues in the clutch, those are discussions that affect the perception of him among the all time greats, not as one of the best 2 of his era.

Romo is a joke. Awful decision maker who gets even worse with the game on the line.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your'e right, my team is .500 and has been for 20 years. Here's something else thats true....they could be .500 for the next 100 years and they'd still have more rings than the Seahawks. The Seahawks have been around what, around 40 years? And one Championship to show? Hell, we are safe for the next 200 years
:laugh3::laugh3:
LOL, It's not about 40 years ago!! It's about today. Nobody gives a crap how many SBs wins the Cowboys have had in the "Past". If the Cowboys were in the NFC West, they probably would finish in last place most years.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When was the last time that we have seen any QB truly carry his team to a championship? Rodgers had great SB run a few years ago, but so did his defense. This idea that QBs carry teams to titles solo is just false.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton, yes. For all his issues in the clutch, those are discussions that affect the perception of him among the all time greats, not as one of the best 2 of his era.

Romo is a joke. Awful decision maker who gets even worse with the game on the line.
Yep, I have to agree with you.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, this just made me chuckle.

Not that I don't agree with your assessment, just don't need that qualifier.

Just keepin it real. I thought that made me some kinda expert.