• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson: 'Great Potential' Next Contract Is Biggest in NFL History

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson told Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show (h/t Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk) Friday that there's "great potential" his next contract is the biggest in NFL history.

Wilson, 30, has one year left on his current deal.

I do recall back at the start of his career that his goal was to someday own a franchise himself and needed a crapload of money to get there. I think it's safe to say there's not going to be any type of hometown discount or taking a cut to make sure there is enough money to put better players around him like some QB's have done.

Rogers is at $134 million (4 year) And Wilson thinks he has the potential to pass that.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do recall back at the start of his career that his goal was to someday own a franchise himself and needed a crapload of money to get there. I think it's safe to say there's not going to be any type of hometown discount or taking a cut to make sure there is enough money to put better players around him like some QB's have done.

Rogers is at $134 million (4 year) And Wilson thinks he has the potential to pass that.
Seahawks need to start grooming a QB, because they might not be able to afford him long term.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure he wasn't joking? I mean, Jimmy Fallon did laugh for like 10 minutes after Russ said that.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks need to start grooming a QB, because they might not be able to afford him long term.
They can't afford not to pay him. They haven't had anything close to a bad season since he joined, no matter what mediocre garbage has been around him (mostly on the line).

He's going to get paid and the front office is going to be happy to pay it. You can't easily replace what he brings.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can't afford not to pay him. They haven't had anything close to a bad season since he joined, no matter what mediocre garbage has been around him (mostly on the line).

He's going to get paid and the front office is going to be happy to pay it. You can't easily replace what he brings.
I’m sure they’ll do their best to sign him, but at some point the amount it takes will be self defeating.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure he wasn't joking? I mean, Jimmy Fallon did laugh for like 10 minutes after Russ said that.
He had a pretty hefty sum in his first go around and again, he's all about making enough to someday own a team. He isn't going to get that much money taking team friendly deals. No, I don't expect to get off cheap with him this go around. He's more than proven his worth.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am greatful for wilson but he does not deserve that kind of money with one super bowl win and one loss on his resume to date. I was a huge fan of his but I am really starting to get over him and his celebrity wife and his celebrity lifestyle. The rumors of him leaving to go to NY and playing baseball for the NY Yankees I am starting to feel like he is more of a politician that knows how to smile for the camera and say all the nice/right things and adding god to it but he is no different than Bennett, Kam and Thomas wanting a mega pay day. This never would have happened if his first wife didnt cheat on him like an idiot

I am really starting to be envious of seeing Brady taking pay cuts and watching do whatever it takes to win super bowls for New England

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a bit misleading... If you watch the interview with Fallon, Russell didn't really say much... It was Fallon basically putting words into his mouth...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this whole hing seems to being blown out of proportion.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am greatful for wilson but he does not deserve that kind of money with one super bowl win and one loss on his resume to date. I was a huge fan of his but I am really starting to get over him and his celebrity wife and his celebrity lifestyle. The rumors of him leaving to go to NY and playing baseball for the NY Yankees I am starting to feel like he is more of a politician that knows how to smile for the camera and say all the nice/right things and adding god to it but he is no different than Bennett, Kam and Thomas wanting a mega pay day. This never would have happened if his first wife didnt cheat on him like an idiot

I am really starting to be envious of seeing Brady taking pay cuts and watching do whatever it takes to win super bowls for New England

How quickly we forget what a John Friesz, Kelly Stouffer, or even T-Jack led team can provide.

Pay Russ and let the rest fall into place.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady is the only big time QB who I think truly takes less. Maybe no coincidence he's won 6 SBs.

Yep, Brady likes having a team around him, so he's willing to take a discount ... Whether Russ does that or not is yet to be seen, I think it would be wise if he wants another shot at winning a Super Bowl ...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How quickly we forget what a John Friesz, Kelly Stouffer, or even T-Jack led team can provide.

Stan Gelbaugh, Dan McGwire, Rick Mirer, Jon Kitna, Brock Huard say hello too...

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stan Gelbaugh, Dan McGwire, Rick Mirer, Jon Kitna, Brock Huard say hello too...

Hey now, Kitna took us to the playoffs pal ;-)

I wouldn't include him with the rest, but you nailed the others.

There was a LOT of hope in that list of QB's. Yet, Russ has only won one SB and taken us to a second that we almost won because of him too. :doh:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't really surprising to me. Most articles I've read about Wilson's contract situation put the floor at $30m a year. If Kirk Cousins is able to receive $28m a year fully guaranteed on the open market, I have absolutely no doubt that the floor for Russell Wilson is $30m a year.

In 2011 the salary cap was $120m. It's now $191m. The salary cap has trended upwards and it would likely be prudent for the Seahawks to give him the money he wants before a guy like Mahomes completely resets the market.

Wilson has all of the leverage here. If we don't give him Aaron Rodgers money, someone else will. Franchise QBs are not easy to come by. We'd all love Russ to give us a discount, but that may not be realistic.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hope his next Contract is 5 or 6 years, so we won't have to talk about it again lol. When he got the 4 year deal i was like well thats going to hurt a lot sooner than later. Now had they gave him say a 6 year deal then he still has 3 years under contract not just 1 and we could think about spending the saved money in other area's. Trust me years 5 and 6 in a 6 year deal would be Cheaper than his next 2 years under his Next contract. No if ands or buts about it.