• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Running attack

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is clearly the strength of the team and we need to embrace it. Bell should get a chance to see what he can do with his feet too but I think we just shouldn't expect to throw 40 passes and put up 50 points. We need to shut down these high powered offenses in this conference with some kick ass defense and bruising rush attack. Looking at our formation and backfield it makes me think of running the bone all over again. Lets punch some people in their fucking mouth and ride it. If Bell can thrown in a play action deep bomb every know in then we can win this conference.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't tell me, tell Heupel. He's the one calling the plays. And if Bell gets the nod I hope they give him the entire playbook and not just a run only package with a few bubble screens thrown in.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is heupel is the OC and he's fighting his instincts to throw the ball 50 times a game. Heupel is clearly outside his comfort zone with this new personnel. We've hot the backs, and the O line seems to be able to run block for the first time in years. The answer is obvious. Question is, will heupel recognize and embrace it?

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do we attack him on social media? Like a blitz package :lol:

Seriously though, I'm sure someone inside the program is telling him to run the fucking ball!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do we attack him on social media? Like a blitz package :lol:

Seriously though, I'm sure someone inside the program is telling him to run the fucking ball!

I would hope so. Like I said before, I've never cared for heupel as an OC. He's a great qb coach but that's it.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After that 1st interception I was surprised they were passing the ball then. You pound the ball on the ground all the way down the field and then try to make a 4 yard pass for the TD? WTF, just pound it one more time, if nothing else they could have brought the Belldozer in right there and sealed it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After that 1st interception I was surprised they were passing the ball then. You pound the ball on the ground all the way down the field and then try to make a 4 yard pass for the TD? WTF, just pound it one more time, if nothing else they could have brought the Belldozer in right there and sealed it.

Like I said, not impressed with heupel.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the problem.
No run blocking.
We cant do it yet.
We got absolutely no push off the line of scrimmage with our run blocking. It was so bad, it looked like pass blocking.

The only thing that seemed to work was the double tight end set, and even with that we got our shit stuffed some of the time.

Problem is we didn't use it more.
I'm no real fan of that Diamond formation.
To many backs, to close to the line of scrimmage.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the problem.
No run blocking.
We cant do it yet.
We got absolutely no push off the line of scrimmage with our run blocking. It was so bad, it looked like pass blocking.

The only thing that seemed to work was the double tight end set, and even with that we got our shit stuffed some of the time.

Problem is we didn't use it more.
I'm no real fan of that Diamond formation.
To many backs, to close to the line of scrimmage.

How do you explain two backs accounting for nearly 275 yards rushing then?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you explain two backs accounting for over 225 yards rushin then?

Bad WVU team.
I'm not saying we cant run the ball, it's just we cant run block on a consistent basis yet.

Running the ball is a lost art form.
Run blocking just isn't taught anymore, and there aren't many coaches that know how to truly teach it, and certainly none at Oklahoma.

The real head scratcher is that you have the Master of the Option sitting in Norman Oklahoma, and nobody is asking or listening to Barry.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read something that leads me to believe that Bell might not get a shot at QB and when Thompson gets back after the bye week he's next in line. :(

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read something that leads me to believe that Bell might not get a shot at QB and when Thompson gets back after the bye week he's next in line. :(

Well that would just confirm that Bob is the idiot I know him to be.
They better play Bell every snap against Tulsa, just to have him ready against Notre Dame.
This is no time to continue this QB merry go round.
Bob is looking like a desperate man. He sounded like one in his press conference after the game.
It's time he gets his shit together.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

????

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, that's what is going to happen to your QB when you want him to do those things.
Bob better get use to it if he wants that kind of QB.

all I know is what I saw when Bell came in.
the team came alive and proceeded to give it their all.
that's what I want.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What catch's me off guard in reference to the OC's playcalling, is that he didn't really help his quarterbacks.

Does anyone remember Jones, Bradford, or even Thompson starts. The OC ran a plethora of screens to the flat or just short passes to the flat or hitches, just to get that QB used to throwing in Gameday situations. They weren't dramatic nor huge but it got them used to throwing in games.

As for the offense, I think our line is doing pretty well. But the OP is right, it's not all pretty. These guys are talented but all they have been doing for the past "x" years or basically since Demarco Murray is pass block. So perhaps they are not used to making that initial contact.