• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rules you would like to see changed before the start of 2014 season

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Bowl eligibility: teams must have a winning OOC and Conference schedule (this year, 42 teams met those two criteria)
2. No I-AA games during the 12-game schedule. Move this game to the pre-season (similar to the NFL)
3. All conferences move to a 9-game conference season. Better yet - a 10-game conference season.
4. The hurry-up offenses: players can no longer come out of their offensive stance to receive the offensive play calling.
5. Intentional grounding when the QB throws the ball at his feet to stop the clock.
6. Players that dive for the goal line/first down marker must maintain control of the ball through their movement.
7. Unsportsmanlike conduct results in game ejection + two quarters of their next game + loss of bowl game.
8. FGs: Under 40 yards are worth 3 points; 41-49 yards are worth 4 points; 51-59 yards are worth 5 pts; 60+ are worth 6 points.
9. A suspended player misses half of their OOC games + half of their conference games + no bowl game participation.
10. Increased academic eligibility requirements: take - and pass - a full load of course work.
11. Teams CAN'T take a bye week in the months of October and November.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess just some of us old fogies still believe in the notion that a Bowl game was supposed to be a reward for a team that earned it.

With so many bowl games, there are teams that didn't earn it being given bowl games simply to fill slots.

I know. Outdated concept in today's world of celebrating mediocrity and giving out participation trophies to grown adults.

I get the whole trophy thing for those who dont earn it. But really, the trophies handed out and or bowl games being given to a team that didnt light the CFB world on fire dont really hold a lot of weight.

I dont think it is rewarding mediocrity as much as it is giving these programs something to build on with extra sanctioned practices and a money maker for Bowl game host cities and a chance for true fans of said programs to take a little vacation in the Winter and cheer for their team.

To me it is much different that the youth sports programs like my sons that don't keep score and only allow players to take 1st base on any hit in baseball. Yes, they actually did that in my sons t ball league and it drove me batshit crazy.

A kid needs to be taught how to accept defeat as well as how to win with class as soon as they step into a competitive situation including t ball, youth soccer, or whatever it is.

I don't think that ^^^ is the same as giving bowl berths to "undeserving" teams like you suggested.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also it provides a chance to watch your team play a team they otherwise would never play.

I love the number of bowl games and enjoy watching all of them.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rework the replay system. Its out of control right now as they review everything. Adopt the NFL system of challenging a play and reviewing scoring plays/turnovers.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
injured player assisted off the field, make it 2 plays to sit out instead of only 1 play. Maybe make it 3 plays. If you need help off the field, then it's the only 'safe' thing to do.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Bowl eligibility: teams must have a winning OOC and Conference schedule (this year, 42 teams met those two criteria)
2. No I-AA games during the 12-game schedule. Move this game to the pre-season (similar to the NFL)
3. All conferences move to a 9-game conference season. Better yet - a 10-game conference season.
4. The hurry-up offenses: players can no longer come out of their offensive stance to receive the offensive play calling.
5. Intentional grounding when the QB throws the ball at his feet to stop the clock.
6. Players that dive for the goal line/first down marker must maintain control of the ball through their movement.
7. Unsportsmanlike conduct results in game ejection + two quarters of their next game + loss of bowl game.
8. FGs: Under 40 yards are worth 3 points; 41-49 yards are worth 4 points; 51-59 yards are worth 5 pts; 60+ are worth 6 points.
9. A suspended player misses half of their OOC games + half of their conference games + no bowl game participation.
10. Increased academic eligibility requirements: take - and pass - a full load of course work.
11. Teams CAN'T take a bye week in the months of October and November.

2. What is I-AA??:noidea:

3. I would say 9 games is about right. 10.... not enough OOC games if you aske me. Plus what do we do with the Big 12? Force them to add another team?

4. So only hunh offenses have this rule apply to them? What about a traditional huddle offense that audibles? They do the same thing when changing the play. And all teams dont stay stationary when calling out blocking schemes. Lot of holes in that one.

7. That is a lil hard core.

8. :L So we enhance the kicking game? That is terrible. More points for less offensive production. So now the number one recruit and most important player on the field will be the oh so deadly kicker.

9. Once again, kinda hardcore.

11. I would say no FCS opponents in OCT or NOV would be a better solution.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The world hates this idea.

images

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the whole trophy thing for those who dont earn it. But really, the trophies handed out and or bowl games being given to a team that didnt light the CFB world on fire dont really hold a lot of weight.

I dont think it is rewarding mediocrity as much as it is giving these programs something to build on with extra sanctioned practices and a money maker for Bowl game host cities and a chance for true fans of said programs to take a little vacation in the Winter and cheer for their team.

To me it is much different that the youth sports programs like my sons that don't keep score and only allow players to take 1st base on any hit in baseball. Yes, they actually did that in my sons t ball league and it drove me batshit crazy.

A kid needs to be taught how to accept defeat as well as how to win with class as soon as they step into a competitive situation including t ball, youth soccer, or whatever it is.

I don't think that ^^^ is the same as giving bowl berths to "undeserving" teams like you suggested.

I'm not disagreeing with your thought process. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as ideally as you wish.

I'll give you one example of why I hate the bowl system like it is.

Two or three years ago, Temple was 8-4. One of those wins was against UConn. The same UConn that won the Big East and went to a BCS Bowl.

Guess what bowl that Temple team was invited to.

They weren't.

They were left out so that 6-6 teams from AQ Conferences could fill UNDESERVED automatic bids.

All those things you list would be nice in an ideal world but in an ideal world, that Temple team would have gone to a bowl game.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree with that Toxin. I fully buy into that.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. What is I-AA??:noidea:

3. I would say 9 games is about right. 10.... not enough OOC games if you aske me. Plus what do we do with the Big 12? Force them to add another team?

4. So only hunh offenses have this rule apply to them? What about a traditional huddle offense that audibles? They do the same thing when changing the play. And all teams dont stay stationary when calling out blocking schemes. Lot of holes in that one.

7. That is a lil hard core.

8. :L So we enhance the kicking game? That is terrible. More points for less offensive production. So now the number one recruit and most important player on the field will be the oh so deadly kicker.

9. Once again, kinda hardcore.

11. I would say no FCS opponents in OCT or NOV would be a better solution.

[FONT=&quot]2. I-AA refers to the FCS teams/programs around the country
3. Depends on if all conferences have to go to a 10-game conference slate of games. IF that is the case, then yes, the B12 would need to add one team.
4. Audibles being called by the QB - a lot different when compared to 11-guys looking to the coaches on the sideline signaling in plays. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. By all means, promote dirty play…yeah, I can see why you want dirty players playing the game. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. It is an aspect of coaching that can be very effective in the game. Maybe your QB shouldn’t be throwing all those interceptions, or your RBs from fumbling, or your WRs from tipping/dropping those passes. Oh, yeah, maybe your defense should stop the opponent so that your kicker doesn’t miss on the last play of the game. Right.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. By all means, lets enable players that can’t follow the rules by allowing them to play in games being broadcast throughout the country. Are you really saying it is okay to not follow the rules that govern us? No consequences should be imposed on those that violate those rules? Really???[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. First, tell me the reasons why these athletes can’t do the work and pass their classes. Then tell me the reasons that they can. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. The NFL established a cut-off date for their bye week. This can be easily done for college teams: take your bye week in August or September.[/FONT]

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why reward a football team with a bowl game that accomplished the following:
1) Going 4-0 in the OOC (one win was against an FCS program and two mid-majors...maybe three)
2) Going 2-6 in conference (there is nothing to build on when you can't win conference games)

or
3) going 3-1 in the OOC (see #1 above)
4) going 3-5 in conference (see #2 above)

The extra practices are easy to solve. Let all teams practice until the last college bowl game is completed.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. OT should get rid of FGs. Must go for it on 4th down and must go for 2 after every TD in OT.
2. There is no reason a lineman should be 4 yds downfield on a pass play, UNLESS the pass is behind the line of scrimmage. This should be reviewed after every pass play.
3. Offenses should allow the defenses to get set. It should be a penalty on the offense for not allowing the defense to get set. Apply the play clock to this rule. The QB usually sees the playclock. When the playclock goes down to 15 seconds, the offense is allowed to snap the ball. The only exception is when there is under 2 minutes left in the 2nd or 4th qtr.
4. Timeouts must be called by players, not coaches. They should know how to play and manage the game if they play FBS college football.
5. Spot foul on PI, 2 feet inbounds.

KnightAndDay

Separate or shoot to kill
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,129.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm, what?

yeah, he hasn't thought that one through, too well.

I guess on a false start, he wants the refs to let the play run in case the defense gets a turnover or a really good sack or tackle for loss. :noidea:

silly.

Or when the defense jumps into the neutral zone on a snap, the refs stop the play immediately instead of letting the offense get the "free play"

Or if defensive holding in the secondary is flagged, the play ends immediately?
How about pass interference? The ball is end the air about to get to the WR, but if there's interference, the ref blows his whistle immediately and the WR doesn't have the chance to catch the ball [because we have to be fair to the defense]????

When ever there's a penalty called on the offense:

1.The play is ruled dead
2.The clock is stopped
3.The refs spot the ball accordingly to the penalty that occurred

These rules should also apply to defensive penalties as well IMO. There's simply no reason, at any point in a game, why the offense deserves to be handed a free play.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what does that solve? Nothing.

You still have to determine on replay at times where the players knee, body, arm was down.

You missed the entire point of having the chip. The chip would tell you WHERE the ball was. If that is so hard to understand I'll give you some examples when the issue about a player being down isn't part of the play:

1. An onsides kick occurs and the referee needs to know were the ball was if it was first touched by the kicking team.

2. A wide extra point or field goal is kicked that is now a judgement call whether or not it went through the uprights.

3. A player dives for a touchdown, is stood up and there is a huge question whether or not the ball broke the plane.

4. An offensive player is tackled near his own goal line and everybody wants to know if the ball was out of the endzone.

5. A kick is downed near the goal line; was it across the goal line for a touchback or not?

6. A player is sooooo close to a first down when he went out of bounds; did he make it or not?

7. A receiver goes into the end zone right at the pylon. Did the ball cross the plane before he went out of bounds?

8. Oregon is playing at Oklahoma and gets a hugely shitty spot at a critical time. Everybody on the Oregon sidelines swears the ball was spotted incorrectly by several inches.....which could not happen if there was a chip in the ball.

The technology would pinpoint the ball at any exact point in time. That's the value of it. What you were referring to would be solved by chips on the QB's, receivers' and running backs' knees, hips and elbows but that's probably asking for too much. Let's just figure out first exactly where the ball is at all times.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You got it backwards, you are rewarding failure to move the ball deeper into the opponents territory with more points. A 60 yard FG worth the same as a touchdown, no fucking way. 49 or less 3 points, 50-59 gets 2 points, anything 60 or over is worth just 1 point. I don't believe in rewarding failure.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. Offenses should allow the defenses to get set. It should be a penalty on the offense for not allowing the defense to get set. Apply the play clock to this rule. The QB usually sees the playclock. When the playclock goes down to 15 seconds, the offense is allowed to snap the ball. The only exception is when there is under 2 minutes left in the 2nd or 4th qtr.

Or you could learn to defend the hurry up no huddle and not just recruit big bruisers on D and quit whining about it.

Don't be butt hurt because your beloved coach has no clue how to defend that offense and doesn't recruit the personnel to do so.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why? One the ball is placed it can be put in play by the offense at any time before the play clock expires. Why make the offense wait until there are 15 or less seconds on the play clock before they can snap the ball, why not just make the play clock 20 seconds then...

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do any NFL teams use a hurry-up offense?

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things I'd change:

1. Targeting rule. At least get rid of the 15 yard penalty if overturned.

2. Stop counting FCS teams to be bowl eligible. Right now teams are allowed 1 FCS team to count towards being bowl eligible, make it 0 so teams stop scheduling them at all.

3. What someone mentioned about instant replay having more power. If you see another penalty on the replay, fucking call it. Sometimes the refs are like WWE refs with shit they don't see.

Regarding #3, I agree for certain penalties (ineligible downfield, illegal forward pass, etc). Not sure about things like illegal formations though.

additionally, how about a 15 yard flopping penalty

penn-state-punter-flop-football-flopping-gifs.gif

miami-hurricanes-punter-flop-football-flopping-gifs.gif

IIRC there already is a penalty for that (there certainly is in the NFL), but it's never called. Maybe it should start being.