• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rooting my smartphone

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a droid razr and I want to root it. Does anyone have a good site to tell my dumb ass how to do this?

I want to make sure plenty of research before I try and brick my phone.

Thanks.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be careful, a lot of the homebrew root apps out there are just disguised spy software. The guys over at androidforums.com have had some pretty good answers for other questions. Might be a good place to start.

I did not root my current phone. But I get corporate email on it, so you know. Risk was too great for the benefit for me.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to run ad blocking apps, get rid of the bloatware, and customize the appearance so I figure it is about time to root the damn thing. I'm not really tech stupid, I have just never rooted a phone before and I want to avoid the cleverly disguised viruses and malware.

I'll check out the forum 43 thanks. Also do you know if xda is reputable?

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a droid razr and I want to root it. Does anyone have a good site to tell my dumb ass how to do this?

I want to make sure plenty of research before I try and brick my phone.

Thanks.

why? seriously?

Careful I've heard some manufacturers have some security loaded software that puts the phone into recovery mode if you try to install unsigned stuff.

do your research well.

just google your phone model etc and root and I'm pretty sure there are a ton of sites out there.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to run ad blocking apps, get rid of the bloatware, and customize the appearance so I figure it is about time to root the damn thing. I'm not really tech stupid, I have just never rooted a phone before and I want to avoid the cleverly disguised viruses and malware.

I'll check out the forum 43 thanks. Also do you know if xda is reputable?

xda has been around a long time. lots of very good info there.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why? seriously?

Careful I've heard some manufacturers have some security loaded software that puts the phone into recovery mode if you try to install unsigned stuff.

do your research well.

just google your phone model etc and root and I'm pretty sure there are a ton of sites out there.

you just posted the answer to my question n/m

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
xda has been around a long time. lots of very good info there.

Thanks. I will probably spend the next two months reading everything I can find on the subject. I think the first step will be finding a solid way to back up my phone before I even start this process.

And to answer Eloco's question rooting your phone is just gaining access to all of the root commands and functions that let you fully customize and/or ruin your phone. (Kind of like the difference in between being a user on a computer or an Admin) No risk no reward, right?

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is rooting a phone?

Rooting is a process allowing users of smartphones, tablets, and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's subsystem.

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rooting is a process allowing users of smartphones, tablets, and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's subsystem.

Privileged control?....subsystem?...omg!!! ...I'm so stupid!

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My phone can play mp3s.

Samsung-Trace-SGH-T519-2.jpg

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Privileged control?....subsystem?...omg!!! ...I'm so stupid!

Haha, ready for a little (though perhaps somewhat long-winded) nerd tutorial?

Android is based on the Linux computer operating system, which in-turn is based on the Unix computer operating system. If you're not a techie, you may not have heard of either of those. Suffice to say that on corporate computer applications, these are two of the largest operating systems that run the applications themselves (i.e., Windows is the operating system on the computer that users use to run the application, but the application runs on a Linux or Unix server).

On Linux and Unix, there is a built-in account that comes with the software called the root account. Think of it as the all-seeing, all-knowing God-account of a system. You can do anything you want security-wise, look at any file on the system, or delete the entire system with a single command (and unlike Windows and it's "are you sure you're sure that you're sure you want to delete this?" questions, it will delete right away).

Android phones are generally locked by the carrier when you buy them. So if you buy a phone from AT&T, they will pre-load a lot of garbage on the phone that you probably don't want. This is sometimes made by business partners of AT&T, so including these apps might get them some advertising money, helping to offset the costs of the devices. These apps are referred to as bloatware, because they usually are not used (since the user didn't want them in the first place) and just take up your memory on your phone. Some of them run automatically when you start up your phone too, which can slow down your phone (just like a computer, the more stuff that's running, the slower it goes) and hurt battery life.

To root your phone is to gain access to the all-seeing, all-knowing God account on your phone (before the other techies jump on me here, I know that's not entirely true, but close enough for explanatory purposes). This allows you to delete the bloatware apps, or to at least set it so that they don't start automatically when you start the phone, thereby making your phone faster and your battery life better.

This comes with risks though too, in that it gives you the ability to delete elements that may be required for the phone to run correctly, which could prevent you from making phone calls, which is what's meant when people say "bricking" your phone.

For most phones, you have to use a root app that was developed by someone else with a lot more technical skill than the rest of us. So in those cases you run the risk that the app might be loaded with all sorts of nasty viruses and such, which is why it's important to use a legit root app. And legit in this case usually means one that a bunch of other people with a lot more technical skill than the rest of us have broken down and evaluated and deemed safe for the rest of us.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, ready for a little (though perhaps somewhat long-winded) nerd tutorial?

Android is based on the Linux computer operating system, which in-turn is based on the Unix computer operating system. If you're not a techie, you may not have heard of either of those. Suffice to say that on corporate computer applications, these are two of the largest operating systems that run the applications themselves (i.e., Windows is the operating system on the computer that users use to run the application, but the application runs on a Linux or Unix server).

On Linux and Unix, there is a built-in account that comes with the software called the root account. Think of it as the all-seeing, all-knowing God-account of a system. You can do anything you want security-wise, look at any file on the system, or delete the entire system with a single command (and unlike Windows and it's "are you sure you're sure that you're sure you want to delete this?" questions, it will delete right away).

Android phones are generally locked by the carrier when you buy them. So if you buy a phone from AT&T, they will pre-load a lot of garbage on the phone that you probably don't want. This is sometimes made by business partners of AT&T, so including these apps might get them some advertising money, helping to offset the costs of the devices. These apps are referred to as bloatware, because they usually are not used (since the user didn't want them in the first place) and just take up your memory on your phone. Some of them run automatically when you start up your phone too, which can slow down your phone (just like a computer, the more stuff that's running, the slower it goes) and hurt battery life.

To root your phone is to gain access to the all-seeing, all-knowing God account on your phone (before the other techies jump on me here, I know that's not entirely true, but close enough for explanatory purposes). This allows you to delete the bloatware apps, or to at least set it so that they don't start automatically when you start the phone, thereby making your phone faster and your battery life better.

This comes with risks though too, in that it gives you the ability to delete elements that may be required for the phone to run correctly, which could prevent you from making phone calls, which is what's meant when people say "bricking" your phone.

For most phones, you have to use a root app that was developed by someone else with a lot more technical skill than the rest of us. So in those cases you run the risk that the app might be loaded with all sorts of nasty viruses and such, which is why it's important to use a legit root app. And legit in this case usually means one that a bunch of other people with a lot more technical skill than the rest of us have broken down and evaluated and deemed safe for the rest of us.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like it is the better option to "freeze" the bloatware than delete it. Deleting it can cause problems (like the phone not receiving firmware updates).

I think I have my basic back up and rooting plan down. I will need to look into which apps I will need to run after rooting to achieve my goals, then pick a rom and play with some themes.

I think I should actually be ready to root by the end of the weekend. They have made this MUCH easier than it was on previous android phones.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck!!!! I still have no idea what you people are talking about. I'm not smart enough for a smart phone!!! :L

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL....most arent Beantown, its ok

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like it is the better option to "freeze" the bloatware than delete it. Deleting it can cause problems (like the phone not receiving firmware updates).

I think I have my basic back up and rooting plan down. I will need to look into which apps I will need to run after rooting to achieve my goals, then pick a rom and play with some themes.

I think I should actually be ready to root by the end of the weekend. They have made this MUCH easier than it was on previous android phones.

The big major benefit is like a 60% increase in battery life.

Like I said, the only reason I don't is the risk that something in my email gets leaked. I torture the hell out of my Linux laptop, though. Almost to the point of being able to call it my own Distro.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The extended battery life will be a big plus. I usually have to charge my phone on the way home from work and at night, every day.

I am also looking to customize the notification bar and some of the menus. It adds a nice personal touch to the phone, and run the add blocking apps of course.