• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roger Goodell: Thursday Night Football to be streamed live on Twitter

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are in the neighborhood of $250M. Add $225M to that for what CBS pays to broadcast the games.

Anyone remember all the people who thought the idea of playing Thursday night games was a bad idea?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are in the neighborhood of $250M. Add $225M to that for what CBS pays to broadcast the games.

Anyone remember all the people who thought the idea of playing Thursday night games was a bad idea?

Bad idea for the players. Good idea for the money makers.

100% certain I'll still be watching on TV though....

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have a Twitter account so the TV is just fine for me.

If Goodell is really serious about developing the EU market though, he'd better figure out a way to broadcast games on Saturday. The EU will not be tuning into Sunday afternoon games at 10PM on Sunday night. Move the SB to Saturday night as well. North America would like that, what better night to play the big game than Saturday?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little by little...these are more or less tests...they streamed a few games via yahoo.

It's going to take some time, but unless they are as arrogant and stubborn as GM was in the 70s in the face Japanese competition, the streaming medium has the cable industry just a little nervous.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have a Twitter account so the TV is just fine for me.

If Goodell is really serious about developing the EU market though, he'd better figure out a way to broadcast games on Saturday. The EU will not be tuning into Sunday afternoon games at 10PM on Sunday night. Move the SB to Saturday night as well. North America would like that, what better night to play the big game than Saturday?
giphy.gif

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did anyone ever say it was a bad idea from the angle of the league making money?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone ever say it was a bad idea from the angle of the league making money?

The people opposing the idea thought no one would watch two crappy teams play on a Thursday night. Clearly not the case. It is wildly popular to the tune of $500M.

Just to give you a reference point: HBO pays about 1/2 that for a season of Game of Thrones. That is how crazy popular the NFL is.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad idea for the players. Good idea for the money makers.

100% certain I'll still be watching on TV though....

Well it is good for the players too in the sense of more money cap wise to spend on them. The players get what 50% of the money that comes in so another $125 million for the players adding another about $5 million per team cap wise.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little by little...these are more or less tests...they streamed a few games via yahoo.

It's going to take some time, but unless they are as arrogant and stubborn as GM was in the 70s in the face Japanese competition, the streaming medium has the cable industry just a little nervous.

With less and less people signing up for Cable they realize they have to start the transition to other avenues to continue to reach people. Yes the avid fan will continue to pay for directtv or cable just so they can watch the games but if they want to expand their market they need to be like the MLB where you can pay for 1 team and watch all of their games live on tv for a certain price. I think they would find people would love this option and could make big time money.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The people opposing the idea thought no one would watch two crappy teams play on a Thursday night. Clearly not the case. It is wildly popular to the tune of $500M.

Just to give you a reference point: HBO pays about 1/2 that for a season of Game of Thrones. That is how crazy popular the NFL is.
I would be surprised if anyone thought the NFL wouldn't make money on it, that's why they did it! Now many people felt that games on Sunday and Monday were already enough. I like the option of a Thursday game myself, but I do agree with the point that less people will watch crappy teams than good teams though and I bet the ratings prove that - isn't it just common sense? But enough people will watch every NFL game to make even a Viking game profitable...:yes:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it is good for the players too in the sense of more money cap wise to spend on them. The players get what 50% of the money that comes in so another $125 million for the players adding another about $5 million per team cap wise.

$ is the only thing good for the players from my perspecitve.

Playing on a short week is never good. The body needs time to heal.

I'll watch for sure, but I was never happy about the Thursday game aside from Turkey Day.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With less and less people signing up for Cable they realize they have to start the transition to other avenues to continue to reach people. Yes the avid fan will continue to pay for directtv or cable just so they can watch the games but if they want to expand their market they need to be like the MLB where you can pay for 1 team and watch all of their games live on tv for a certain price. I think they would find people would love this option and could make big time money.

Spot on...I didn't drop DTV and Sun Tkt because I couldn't afford it.

Being able to buy your team's game on a season or game basis is far far more appealing than getting 15 or 16 games and I only watch 2 or 3.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on...I didn't drop DTV and Sun Tkt because I couldn't afford it.

Being able to buy your team's game on a season or game basis is far far more appealing than getting 15 or 16 games and I only watch 2 or 3.

I like the full meal deal.

I usually watch 4 or 5 AM games and as many of the afternoon games that appeal to me. And I record them so I can see all without commercials or halftimes, etc.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the full meal deal.

I usually watch 4 or 5 AM games and as many of the afternoon games that appeal to me. And I record them so I can see all without commercials or halftimes, etc.

For a long time I did too...NFL sunday was an event in my man cave, back before the flat tvs came I had a 65" projection and another 36" down there so we had two games going at all times...3 or 4 of us neighbors would gather at my place or this other guy that also was built a man cave...from 1p to til 10-11p...NFL, NFL, NFL.

Then we sold the house (it was a divorced lady that bought it strange that it was contingent on the man cave staying intact exactly like it was...we got a full price offer and she gave us like $1000 for the TVs (huge loss there).

Anyway...moved a couple of towns over so I stopped going over to the other neighbor's man cave...the whole drinking and driving thing. That last 3 or 4 yrs I basically watched alone, and after the Steeler/Falcon games, I may or may not watch the 4p games...I would tape them like you, but rarely followed up to watch.

Last year I bagged it all together...my 1st season w/o the tkt in over 10 yrs...I didn't miss it as much as I thought I might.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a long time I did too...NFL sunday was an event in my man cave, back before the flat tvs came I had a 65" projection and another 36" down there so we had two games going at all times...3 or 4 of us neighbors would gather at my place or this other guy that also was built a man cave...from 1p to til 10-11p...NFL, NFL, NFL.

Then we sold the house (it was a divorced lady that bought it strange that it was contingent on the man cave staying intact exactly like it was...we got a full price offer and she gave us like $1000 for the TVs (huge loss there).

Anyway...moved a couple of towns over so I stopped going over to the other neighbor's man cave...the whole drinking and driving thing. That last 3 or 4 yrs I basically watched alone, and after the Steeler/Falcon games, I may or may not watch the 4p games...I would tape them like you, but rarely followed up to watch.

Last year I bagged it all together...my 1st season w/o the tkt in over 10 yrs...I didn't miss it as much as I thought I might.

I'm afraid I am going to miss it more this year than the past few years I have been without it. With Manning he has always been a prime time magnet. I don't live in Bronco viewing country (just about 50 miles outside of it so I get the Chiefs or Cowboys instead) but I didn't have to worry about that with so many games being prime time. I think over the past few years only about 3 games total have not been aired here. Without Manning have to see if the Broncos can continue to be in prime time so as to not miss the games. Otherwise going to have to hope they get more and more of these games online. Pretty sure I'm not convincing the wife to pony up for the NFL Package. She thinks we pay too much for tv as is.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm afraid I am going to miss it more this year than the past few years I have been without it. With Manning he has always been a prime time magnet. I don't live in Bronco viewing country (just about 50 miles outside of it so I get the Chiefs or Cowboys instead) but I didn't have to worry about that with so many games being prime time. I think over the past few years only about 3 games total have not been aired here. Without Manning have to see if the Broncos can continue to be in prime time so as to not miss the games. Otherwise going to have to hope they get more and more of these games online. Pretty sure I'm not convincing the wife to pony up for the NFL Package. She thinks we pay too much for tv as is.

Wow...you're out there man...my cousin is in Brighton, but that's really metro DEN...the other one is in Superior and he also gets Broncos every week.

I think I missed 2 Steeler games LY...the other 5 or 6 not on local TV I went to the corner bar and they have every game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...you're out there man...my cousin is in Brighton, but that's really metro DEN...the other one is in Superior and he also gets Broncos every week.

I think I missed 2 Steeler games LY...the other 5 or 6 not on local TV I went to the corner bar and they have every game.

Well unfortunately I live on the wrong side of the Kansas/Colorado State Line. The NFL has this idea in their head that because the word Kansas is in Kansas City that all of Kansas are huge Chiefs fans. The issue being the Chiefs are not actually in Kansas and where I am is much much closer to Denver than KC and most of the town is actually big Broncos fans. I keep emailing CBS and Fox about this issue but so far have not got them to look at distance compared to state line.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My 34 year old son lives with us (epileptic) so we watch together. I start around 7 AM (Pacific), he makes his appearance around 10 AM, and we finish up shortly after 8:30 PM.