• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rios to Royals

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am now convinced that we will land our RF via trade, and it will either be an underwhelming solution (Viciedo) or a blockbuster rental (Upton). At this point I say we convert Miller and use any resources ($$$) left on another SP. I'm happy with the offseason, but at one point had the chance to be blown away. I'll take what I can get and be satisfied with just a good offseason.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 WAR Projections:

In:
Cruz 1.5
Happ 1.2

Out:
Young -0.1
Morales .6
Saunders 1.8

2.7 In, 2.3 Out equaling .4 WAR Increase.

I don't consider this a successful off season in the least. The other teams we compete against for wildcard have all gained ground and I also have an issue of saying we missed the playoffs by 1 game. We missed a one game series to see if we made the playoffs by 1 game. I don't consider the 1 game series playoffs. More of an extended regular season.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 WAR Projections:

In:
Cruz 1.5
Happ 1.2

Out:
Young -0.1
Morales .6
Saunders 1.8

I don't consider this a successful off season in the least. The other teams we compete against for wildcard have all gained ground and I also have an issue of saying we missed the playoffs by 1 game. We missed a one game series to see if we made the playoffs by 1 game. I don't consider the 1 game series playoffs. More of an extended regular season.

Since we are always on the same page, this should be right up your alley. It may only be a .4 WAR increase, but considering that we didn't have Jackson or Morales the entire year, started Jones & Almonte for a combined 111 games in CF, started Smoak for 79 games at 1B, and Corey Hart for 55 games at DH should count for addition by subtraction. Almonte should have never been on the major league roster, and Jones should have been depth rather than starting. Smoak and Hart? Need I say more? Replace those spots with Jackson, Cruz, and a hopefully matured Morrison and it's been a good offseason.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the Hart/Smoak but was Almonte/Jones any worse than Jackson?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the course of an entire season? Absolutely

I guess I just saw it as a wash if anything a slight edge to the other options in CF over Jackson. Cruz is a huge upgrade at DH but it doesn't help the hole in the outfield nor the RH option for Morrison.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 WAR Projections:

In:
Cruz 1.5
Happ 1.2

Out:
Young -0.1
Morales .6
Saunders 1.8

I feel like Nelson Cruz's WAR estimation is grossly underestimated.

He had a 4.7 WAR last year, but that was with 70 or so games out in the field that probably also brought it down. I have a feeling that estimation is under the assumption he will be playing defense, which I doubt he will with the Mariners. In order to have a WAR that low, he'd have to have an abysmal year at the plate.

If I had to guess I'd say he finishes the season with a 2-3 WAR. Considering that the Mariners likely had a negative WAR at DH, that means for an increase of 3 wins at that position.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But on the topic of the thread, I'm surprised to see Rios get a salary number that high. I expected something around $7m or so. I wouldn't have given Rios more than 1 year $7m personally. I feel like the Royals grossly overpaid for him, albeit for merely one year.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A while ago I thought they wouldn't have traded Saunders if they didn't have some kind of plan on the table, but now I question that.....

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A while ago I thought they wouldn't have traded Saunders if they didn't have some kind of plan on the table, but now I question that.....
Well Melky still could have been the plan, but you have to have your own parameters set.

Apparently the parameters for Melky were 3 years and the parameters for Saunders was to be in Canada.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we are always on the same page, this should be right up your alley. It may only be a .4 WAR increase, but considering that we didn't have Jackson or Morales the entire year, started Jones & Almonte for a combined 111 games in CF, started Smoak for 79 games at 1B, and Corey Hart for 55 games at DH should count for addition by subtraction. Almonte should have never been on the major league roster, and Jones should have been depth rather than starting. Smoak and Hart? Need I say more? Replace those spots with Jackson, Cruz, and a hopefully matured Morrison and it's been a good offseason.

Not really sure what Jackson and Morales added. Both struggled as much as the guys they replaced. I saw it as a wash honestly. Time will tell, byt I don't see much of a gain this year to date.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure what Jackson and Morales added. Both struggled as much as the guys they replaced. I saw it as a wash honestly. Time will tell, byt I don't see much of a gain this year to date.

They didn't add much, but my point was how our roster was in constant flux with a majority of guys that sucked going in. Our lineup is pretty much set, and if the Morrisions and Ackleys of the world continue as they were then we have upgraded.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But on the topic of the thread, I'm surprised to see Rios get a salary number that high. I expected something around $7m or so. I wouldn't have given Rios more than 1 year $7m personally. I feel like the Royals grossly overpaid for him, albeit for merely one year.

The money is insane this winter and there is no accounting for it. Brett Anderson gets a one year/$10 million deal with the Dodgers? He hasn't thrown 100 innings since 2010! But you'd think if a medically-challenged guy like Anderson could get a contract like that, then Brandon Morrow should too, right? Nope. Morrow signs for $2.5 million despite throwing twice as many innings in the last four years as Anderson. Go figure.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not huge into the whole WAR thing... mostly cause I have no clue how its calculated. But if you think that Cruz is only 1.5 better then the slop we rolled out at DH last year. your blind.

Also how much better will Cano be with actual major league protection behind him.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah found out awhile ago but I had to come laugh. We can't even scoop up Morse now if we wanted.