• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rey's 1st Eagles Mock of 2017

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rd 1: Corey Davis WR Western Michigan

*** Davis reminds me a lot of Terrell Owens (even his running style). Perfect size, solid football speed, great stiff arms, really good hands and constantly makes plays. He also knows how to use his size to shield defenders, excellent route runner and fights for the ball (something our current WR's know nothing about). Don't know what his 40 time will be, but he doesn't get caught from behind often; my guess is he'll run around a 4.5. His production is phenomenal, even for a smaller school. I think the only advantage Mike Williams has over Davis is his ability to snag jump balls, but other than that I have them both fairly even as far as pro prospects. It wouldn't come as too much of a shock if Davis ends up going before Williams when it's all said and done, I'd be fine with either player. I've gone back and forth on what position I'd rather have in Rd 1 (between CB and WR), but this draft is loaded at the CB position well into the mid Rounds while #1 type WR's are not … and we need both.

Rd 2: Cordrea Tankersly CB Clemson or Best CB available

*** At this point in the process it's too early to know which CB's will drop into Rd 2, but it's such a good CB class that there is almost no doubt that first round talent will be available well into Rd 2. You might see players like Cordrea Tankersley, Gareon Conley or Adoree Jackson still on the board at this point because there is simply so much talent at the position. Our CB play this past year was a disaster, so I doubt we can go any further in this draft without addressing the position.

Rd 3: Chidobe Awuzie CB Colorado “or” Cameron Sutton CB Tennessee

*** Probably not a name you're familiar with unless you're a college junkie like I am, but I am incredibly impressed with his ability to mirror receivers and his physicality against the run. Smartly physical player who reminds me a bit of Xavier Rhodes. Very good timing as he's often asked to blitz from his Corner spot. Really good all around talent and the Eagles need 2 new starters at the CB position. Sutton on the other hand is a player with first round talent who missed most of the year with a broken ankle, but he should be 100% for the start of the NFL season and would be a steal imo if he were to still be available at this point in the draft. The Eagles are lucky in that their weakest area is the strongest position in the 2017 Draft.

Rd 4: Dorian Johnson OG Pitt

*** I don't usually scout interior Olinemen until the year is over, but Pitt's OL was just too good not to watch. The left side in particular with Bisnowaty and Johnson. Johnson is your LG and is athletic and powerful either in the run game or pass protection. He is fast off the snap and has very good technique at walling off Defenders quickly. Guards always tend to slip a little, so it's possible Johnson is still available in Rd 4. I could see him possibly stepping into the starting LG spot at some point next season.

Rd 5: (fm Cleveland) Jamaal Williams RB BYU

*** Williams is a between the tackles pounder. Very tough to being down and he gets quite a few yards after contact. Williams can do all the dirty work and be your primary goal line / short yardage Back the rest of the time. He reminds me a bit of the old Penn State RB Larry Johnson or more recently Matt Forte (as a runner, not receiver). He has really good vision and body control (shiftiness) between the tackles for a bigger Back. He can churn out yards even when there aren't huge holes. Wendell Smallwoood can still have a change of pace role moving forward depending on what the Eagles do with Darren Sproles.

Rd 5: Larry Ogunjobi DT UNC Charlotte

*** So I have hit a new all time low watching film of the Charlotte 49ers, but I really like what I saw from this kid's tape (anything I could find). Apparently so did a few others as he was an invite to the Senior Bowl. What stood out to me was his ability to be light on his feet and disengage his blockers to make the tackles. If we end up losing Bennie Logan, this kid could be a nice later round hidden gem who can fill the run stuffing role. From the tape I watched they used him in a 2 gap scheme, but I think he has the potential to rush the passer a bit as well if given that assignment.

Rd 6: Joe Mixon RB Oklahoma

*** What??? Rey, have you gone mad? This kid punched out a girl?!?! Yep, I know the story, but talent and ability-wise, Mixon is an early to mid 2nd round Running Back. I keep hearing that he will go undrafted, but at this point in the draft hell yeah I'd take the chance. Tremendous receiver out of the backfield who can run inside with power our use his speed to go outside. A 1-2 punch (pun intended) of Jamaal Williams and Joe Mixon could spell trouble (in a good way) for the rest of the NFC East.

*** Side Note: With Mixon's receiving ability we could save a bunch of cap space by cutting Darren Sproles. While we all love Sproles, it would save a bunch of cap space which we can use elsewhere.

Rd 7: Matt Milano LB Boston College

*** Shows good pursuit speed and coverage ability. Not great against the run, but in Rd 7 you are not going to find complete players unless you have lottery type luck. Milano can fill a nickelback roll and play special teams if he finds a way to make the roster. Nice athlete with burst for the position and seems to be in the right spot more often than not.

*** Summary: This draft certainly was geared more towards helping the Offense, but we did snag two early round CB's which we desperately need. Carson Wentz would be helped greatly with this draft as we got him a solid interior Lineman, a potential #1 receiver and two young RB's to infuse a running game. You can't address every need in the draft unfortunately, just try to get value … Left un-addressed was the OT and DE position (not a great year for either position) … maybe there's some value in free agency at those spots.

Starting Offense 2017

QB: Carson Wentz

RB: Jamal Williams / Joe Mixon / Wendell Smallwood

WR: Corey Davis - flanker / Jordan Matthews – slot / Agholor/DGB flanker

TE: Zach Ertz / Trey Burton / Brent Celek

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just found this ... a great scouting report vid of Corey Davis

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good as usual, Rey. I agree with many scouts that Davis is the best WR in this draft. I think we HAVE to get him. After that, yes please draft 2 CBs.
I think we only draft one RB, and plan to get Saquon Barkley next year. Draft another WR in the mid rounds, and then pick up OL for depth - I think we have the starting pieces now. Pick a DE/EDGE rusher, a DT, as we lose Benny, and a LB.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey can't quibble too much with this one. Interesting enough I like Awuzie better than Tankersly but can't quibble at both.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice effort here Ray! Mixon in the 6th would probably be the steal of the draft. He's listed at 6'1" 227. He looks pretty lean though for a bigger back. Corey Davis made this draft for me.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corey has to be the pick. With him getting more and more props, we may have to move up into the top 10 to get him.

Would you?

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not with our track record with WR's. I would rather take a CB than a WR in the first round if those are my only options. But my contrarian view is RB over both positions. A rookie WR more than likely won't be much help next year. A rookie RB can make a huge impact on Wentz development. I would much rather bring in some solid vet options at WR for Wentz.

Can't believe you would draft that POS Mixon. That POS should be in prison not going to the NFL.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Davis and Tankersley and think both would be very good picks. The only issues I have with your mock is that there is no DE taken and I think I'd draft but 1 RB. This team needs a DE badly.

I've been looking at players and if he was there in the 2nd round I would snag JuJu Smith-Schuster. This guy is going to play on Sunday's for years to come.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe you would draft that POS Mixon. That POS should be in prison not going to the NFL.

What Mixon did was deplorable ... no doubt about it and it will cost him a great deal of money as he would have gone fairly early in the draft otherwise. I believe in 2nd chances though and he "will" end up on a roster somewhere ... I'd rather it be us than seeing him on the Giants doing damage "against" us.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Le'Veon Bell'ish

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your top picks Rey and I too think that waiting until the 2nd on a corner may be wise, because as you noted it is a deep class. I doubt the Colorado guy makes it until the 3rd, as he is a pretty well known prospect, but even if we had to trade up to the second to get him, snagging him and a guy like Tankersley would be a huge upgrade for us.

On Mixon--no way. I know Howie has been taking more shady guys in the past year, but there is no way Lurie brings in a guy with that much notoriety. It would cloud the franchise, and unlike, say, Vick, it doesn't seem Mixon has really repented.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as CB goes, I would think the Eagles try to sign one in free agency rather than going with two rookies at corner. I wanted to see more of the Texan's AJ Bouye and he certainly delivered shutting down Amari Cooper in yesterday's playoff game against the Raiders.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper couldn't have been anywhere close to 100%. Couple that with Carr missing the game and playing with a his 3rd string QB who has never thrown to him. You really can't judge him fairly. We haven't had very good luck with free agent CB's lately. After Vincent and Samuel we have had some colossal misses.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper couldn't have been anywhere close to 100%. Couple that with Carr missing the game and playing with a his 3rd string QB who has never thrown to him. You really can't judge him fairly. We haven't had very good luck with free agent CB's lately. After Vincent and Samuel we have had some colossal misses.

I can't judge Bouye off of one performance but he's been doing great all year. Would you oppose to him or Trumain Johnson?

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly spending huge on anther free agent CB would be the last thing I would do. I really didn't watch any Texans games this year other than yesterdays game. They were talking up Bouye. But do you really want to open up and give a guy huge money off one good season? I would rather build through the draft and quit spending huge money on gambles in FA.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we talked Rey, I love many of these picks....However I think Awuzie is gone rd 2 and I would select him rd 2. Mixon is an absolute stud, who made a horrific mistake. However, unlike Ray Rice he was clearly provoked, shoved, then slapped. Not saying what he did was right in any way at all! However, he was 18 years old at the time, he made a huge mistake! I made some dumb decisions at 18, and i'm glad it wasn't held over my head my entire life. The young man from all accounts was a solid kid, with a good attitude. Let this be a life lesson to him, and that young lady as well. It's not ok for a woman to shove and slap someone because they feel like it. Personally, I feel they were both wrong, and both hurt badly because of it. Just in different ways. Looking at this from an Eagles stand point, if you were willing to give a 29 year old QB another chance that did far more brutal things than this 18 year old kid did, then clearly you should be willing to give such a young man a second chance.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly spending huge on anther free agent CB would be the last thing I would do. I really didn't watch any Texans games this year other than yesterdays game. They were talking up Bouye. But do you really want to open up and give a guy huge money off one good season? I would rather build through the draft and quit spending huge money on gambles in FA.

The Eagles spend money when it comes to pass rushers and guys in the secondary. That's what they do. Would it be great to land two corners in the draft? Sure! But they always try to sign free agent CBs. Maxwell and Nnamdi didn't pan out, but history suggests they will try again.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as options go for FA corners, Bouye doesn't have the sustained success of Trumain Johnson (he'll cost a pretty penny) and Gilmore has had a down year.

Whatever they do in free agency, I expect the Eagles to draft a cornerback in the first two rounds of this draft.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't judge Bouye off of one performance but he's been doing great all year. Would you oppose to him or Trumain Johnson?

I think Johnson will cost more - Bouye #'s wise didn't have a great year but came on strong in the 2nd half this season, he might not cost as much as the other guys available (e.g. Gilmore, Ryan, Johnson). I like Bouye and wouldn't be upset at all if the Birds pursued him.

Ideally IMO they sign a FA corner, and still draft at least 2 in April.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking Mixon if he were available in the 6th would be a low-risk move. I'd take him as high as the 4th... Tremendous talent that could bring big-time dividends. Tyreek Hill dropped in the draft last year for choking and beating his pregnant girlfriend, something far more deplorable than what Mixon was involved in. How many teams are regretting that decision? Each case is its own, if the Eagles do their homework and think it was an isolated incident, then take him.