• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: MLB proposes changes to intentional walk and the strike zone

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how you guys would feel about it, but 15 years ago Bill James proposed an idea that a new reliever, unless injured, has to face at least 2 batters resulting in a PA or AB before being lifted for another reliever.

I'm against it, as it feels unnatural to me, but there's no doubt it would speed the game up.
I am against any major changes to the mechanics of the game. Baseball is not football or basketball. If they try to change into one of those, the game will be ruined.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am against any major changes to the mechanics of the game. Baseball is not football or basketball. If they try to change into one of those, the game will be ruined.
I totally agree. But I do get the viewpoint- it gets ridiculous with double switches and pitchers never facing a batter

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. But I do get the viewpoint- it gets ridiculous with double switches and pitchers never facing a batter
When was the last time a pitcher came in and didn't face a batter? I must have missed that game.

Hint: that is against the rules. A pitcher must face at least one batter.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm against it, as it feels unnatural to me, but there's no doubt it would speed the game up.

I think that sort of rule would be a big mistake.
The way to speed up the game is to stop throwing out the ball every time it's bounced in the dirt. Make the hitters stay in the box and stop fucking with their batting gloves, glaring down at the ground, at some imaginary coach in left center field and taking 34 deep breaths. An average 5-pitch at-bat now takes about 6 minutes. The pitchers have to get a new ball every time a slider hits the plate, rubbing it up, taking off his cap, walking back to the rosin bag ... and meanwhile, the hitter still isn't ready to take his 3-1 pitch.

But I do think that the LOOGIE rule could be modified to say that if a guy is coming out after 1 hitter, his replacement gets 4 warmups.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time a pitcher came in and didn't face a batter? I must have missed that game.

Hint: that is against the rules. A pitcher must face at least one batter.
You're right. I confused the pinch-hitter being called back:L

Baseball season- get here already!!!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that sort of rule would be a big mistake.
The way to speed up the game is to stop throwing out the ball every time it's bounced in the dirt. Make the hitters stay in the box and stop fucking with their batting gloves, glaring down at the ground, at some imaginary coach in left center field and taking 34 deep breaths. An average 5-pitch at-bat now takes about 6 minutes. The pitchers have to get a new ball every time a slider hits the plate, rubbing it up, taking off his cap, walking back to the rosin bag ... and meanwhile, the hitter still isn't ready to take his 3-1 pitch.

But I do think that the LOOGIE rule could be modified to say that if a guy is coming out after 1 hitter, his replacement gets 4 warmups.
We're getting into 1910 rules there IMO

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're getting into 1910 rules there IMO

I do sort of understand the reason for replacing the ball. I think it's the Kenny Rogers rule (2006 W.S.) ... but it's still turning the game into a tar pit. The ump can look at the ball, wipe it off and toss it back to the mound. They do it in the indy league I watch and nobody is getting blindsided by a brown ball.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does replacing the ball delay the game? The purpose is to prevent a pitcher using a scuff to increase movement, or to allow the pitcher to get a true grip (pitcher will request a new ball if there is a minor scuff as well).

These attempts are asinine. The Giant, arguably, won the 2012 NLCS due to a wild pitch on an intentional walk. I will ALWAYS be against the auto-pass.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The number is certainly debateable, but I think they legit need time to have it reviewed a time or two AND have time to actually get the umps attention. Surprisingly, the current rules state the manager has 10 seconds to get the umps attention and an additional 30 seconds after that to actually request a review. I have a feeling that timeframe is not enforced (except at the end of the game, which is where it needs to be extended), but I have no evidence to support that claim.

The actual rules...

Replay Review

I respectfully disagree.

No time to review it. You either challenge based on live action or you don't challenge at all.

10 seconds to throw your red challenge bat onto the field, or you lose your chance to challenge the play.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does replacing the ball delay the game? The purpose is to prevent a pitcher using a scuff to increase movement, or to allow the pitcher to get a true grip (pitcher will request a new ball if there is a minor scuff as well).

Well, watch when the ball is thrown out. It isn't that it's only 1 ball. Sometimes it's a new ball for every pitch!

The pitcher gets a new one and spends a minute rubbing it up. There was nothing about the old one that was damaged. It hit the dirt. The dirt at big-league ball fields is pretty good stuff. I can say, the ump can call for it, look at it ... no scuff, toss it back to the mound and say to the hitter, 'get in and hit.'

As a fan, the stuff I notice that annoys me is what I tend to pay more attention to because I always like to know why I am annoyed at things I typically like. Hitters fuck around too much, pitchers fuck around too much and umpires fuck around too much. Meanwhile, some dipshit thinks eliminating the IBB is a value.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raising the zone makes sense, but lowering it also does.

The strike zone as they have been calling it in recent years is almost impossible for the hitter. The best hitters in history would have had a .246 average if they had been told that a pitch around their armpits was a strike and one that cut the back of the bottom of the knee was a strike. Hitters are striking out a record pace now because they haven't got a chance.
Where the zone is, isn't the only reason.

Mentality plays more of a part in it. IMO.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how you guys would feel about it, but 15 years ago Bill James proposed an idea that a new reliever, unless injured, has to face at least 2 batters resulting in a PA or AB before being lifted for another reliever.

I'm against that.

And most things that would be done for the sake of speed.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please take a few minutes to review the Reds' relief pitching from 2016 and get back to me. It these guys had thrown 200 pitches to warm up, the first one to a hitter would have landed in the 24th row of the bleachers.

ok, maybe slight exaggeration on the amount the throw in the BP but they throw a lot

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I see the point in the IBB given how uncommon they are. I don't like the idea of not throwing four balls. The pitcher still has to throw them to the catcher and it's pretty awesome on the rare occasion that one of those pitches is a bit inside and it ends up in the outfield. Not to mention they have a minimal effect on game time.

There just shouldn't be any "gimmes" IMO.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think there are too many people who are trying to be too scientific about the game.
Considering it existed for about 70 years without the aid of color television OR instant replay, we have seen more attempts to fix the game in the last 20 years than ever before. Just get in and hit.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A famous minor league intentional walk walkoff. This one is brutal!

HERE

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think there are too many people who are trying to be too scientific about the game.
Considering it existed for about 70 years without the aid of color television OR instant replay, we have seen more attempts to fix the game in the last 20 years than ever before. Just get in and hit.

Somehow that same game has added a legit hour to it's game time despite not really changing that much....

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every umpire has a different strike zone anyway, so changing it wont make any difference