• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Mack told Recruits to look around

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack is also a bitter man, who got LHN commentators fired for speaking their mind. As you might remember the LHN is not run by Mack, but by ESPN.

This was also not a case of a recruit calling him. It was a case of him telling a group of verbals, that they should look around before signing with Texas. As mentioned before this goes directly against his telling his committed recruits, if you look around(go on visits) I will not hold a scholarship for you.
-------
I'll give you this Charlie, we both know Mack is a well to do individual. Therefore, he doesn't need the half a mill. that the university will be paying him as a consultant. Why would a "bitter man" take that job under those circumstances.

Look if your a HC regardless of the school and you sell the program to a bunch of recruits, and all of a sudden you're told you aren't going to be the HC, is it dishonorable to let the recruits know you won't be the HC? Is it dishonorable to let them know they have the option of looking elsewhere?

Charlie, I'll be honest here. I don't like Nebraska's HC. Yet, if he were let go under the identical circumstances that Brown was let go, I would NOT be upset with Pelini if he had similar conversations with some of the kids he recruited. As long as Bo wasn't being hired to a different school, I think he'd have a moral obligation to tell the kids he sold the program on, that A. He was no longer going to be the HC & B. That as a recruit they could look elsewhere if they chose to do so.

And quite frankly, even if Bo did get hired at another school and took some of the Nebraska recruits with him--that's just the name of the game. It's not illegal and it's done all the time.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mack was going to another school and tried to take recruits along with him, I would have no problem with that.
Mack changing his spiel for the last few years to the recruits about how you're(the recruits) committing to The University and not the coach is the problem I have with him and his actions.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's funny is I don't remember a single Horns poster saying we thought Saban was coming to Texas. We all chimed in as did everyone else. Many gave reasons why he could consider Texas. However I don't think 1 single poster said they thought he would leave Bama. Myself and others all said we don't think he will, nor should. But it sounds much better to say it your way.

As for the rest of this story. 1) The AD was reportedly there with Mack when he talked with the kids; 2) This is a non-story that has been taken waaaay out of context and blown waaaay out of proportion; 3) We kept nearly the entire class together, including Bonney, and added other surprise pieces. The class looks great. This story needs to go away.

Oh you all claimed you didn't think he was coming to Texas, but it sure as hell didn't stop you from letting everyone know how you could have him and how much better Texas supposedly was etc.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get the results of the Gibbs-Schnellenberger-Blake seasons.

Bullshit. Those days we missed on WAY more than 2 or 3.

Gibbs wasn't chopped liver. Especially when you take into account the scholly restrictions he had to endure.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh you all claimed you didn't think he was coming to Texas, but it sure as hell didn't stop you from letting everyone know how you could have him and how much better Texas supposedly was etc.

I think you just took it wrong. Yes it was possible, but I never really thought it would happen. I think that goes for the majority of Longhorns. I do think it was closer to happening than anyone originally thought. Not because we are better, but because of the challenge it would have represented, and when you look at the state of Longhorn football, it's a big challenge. Like he said, he's just too damn old. Understandable. He's built a pretty good program right where he's at. Why leave. Again, understandable.

In the end, we probably did just as good with Strong. He's younger, and probably more energy. I think that's what the program needs. He also has some other strengths that Saban doesn't have. Can he turn it around? Who knows, but I like his odds.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 -5 loss seasons are celebrated as EXCELLENCE in C.S. In fact, Aggy rewards their HC for losing 4 games by making him one of the highest paid coaches in the country for winning nothing. Our expectations are just higher in A-town.

A&M's first and second years in the SEC are way better than when Arkansas and South Carolina came into the league in the '90's.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Sumlin's never won anything at any level.

Had Case Keenum dropped in his lap, couldn't win CUSA. Had Manziel dropped in his lap. Couldn't even win his DIVISION in the SEC.

I DO think Sumlin's doing a good job......but I think Aggy is jumping the gun on paying him big money. If he fails with these recruits, you guys will be in a world of hurt......especially in buying him out and being relegated back to secondary status in the state.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Sumlin's never won anything at any level.

Had Case Keenum dropped in his lap, couldn't win CUSA. Had Manziel dropped in his lap. Couldn't even win his DIVISION in the SEC.

I DO think Sumlin's doing a good job......but I think Aggy is jumping the gun on paying him big money. If he fails with these recruits, you guys will be in a world of hurt......especially in buying him out and being relegated back to secondary status in the state.

We had to give Sumlin a raise cause USC and the Texans expressed interest in him.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any one notice Strong and Sumlin taking shots at each other in the media yesterday?

This is going to get fun. I can see them hyping up the rivalry already. Years before anyone even thinks of scheduling a game.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any one notice Strong and Sumlin taking shots at each other in the media yesterday?

This is going to get fun. I can see them hyping up the rivalry already. Years before anyone even thinks of scheduling a game.

Ha ha, yup sure have. I'm glad though. I really think Strong will push for the rivalry to be reinstated and I'm pretty sure Patterson wants it back, too. Just had to get Dodds outta there......

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck this topic. Texas didn't even have that bad a class. Most sites have it around 15ish. I don't give a crap about the kids that decommitted or why they did so. The only reason I am disappointed in this class is because of the strength of the DB/S class in Texas and our inability to land more studs at that position group. A group like that doesn't come around very often. The rest of the class was pretty damn good. Signing two OOS DT's was huge and made the class pretty well rounded. Charlie Strong won't be coaching up a bunch of 2 and 3 stars like some are acting. The roster is loaded with talent outside of some depth issues that won't even be an issue until 2015. Lots of time to sign a nice 2015 class to fill in those gaps.

P.S. LOL at OU fans acting like recruiting stars don't matter. OU consistently has top 15 classes every single year. I'm sure they would gladly switch with Iowa St and let Stoops coach them up because it makes no difference. Right?

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck this topic. Texas didn't even have that bad a class. Most sites have it around 15ish. I don't give a crap about the kids that decommitted or why they did so. The only reason I am disappointed in this class is because of the strength of the DB/S class in Texas and our inability to land more studs at that position group. A group like that doesn't come around very often. The rest of the class was pretty damn good. Signing two OOS DT's was huge and made the class pretty well rounded. Charlie Strong won't be coaching up a bunch of 2 and 3 stars like some are acting. The roster is loaded with talent outside of some depth issues that won't even be an issue until 2015. Lots of time to sign a nice 2015 class to fill in those gaps.

P.S. LOL at OU fans acting like recruiting stars don't matter. OU consistently has top 15 classes every single year. I'm sure they would gladly switch with Iowa St and let Stoops coach them up because it makes no difference. Right?

:lol:

Which OU fans and what are they saying?

Yes we do consistently have top 15 classes but you got to go back to 2008 to find the last time Rivals ranked our class over yours. Stars really don't matter as proof however the last two years your's are slipping but I'm sure a good coach can turn it around. We will see how good Strong is.

OU #15 UT #20

OU #15 UT #24

OU #11 UT #2

OU #14 UT #3

OU #7 UT #3

OU #13 UT #5

OU #6 UT #14

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope it wasn't malicious. My question is if he has been saying it all along with good intentions, why is this kid bringing it up now? Is he the only kid that took it wrong or is it just the timing of the coaching change event?
-------
Even recruits can be media whores

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Mack has been an honorable man with integrity, BUT there is little doubt he is very bitter. Now we can argue all day whether he was treated fairly or not. It doesn't matter. Bitterness can bring out the worse in people. It's not "what you say." It's how you "say it." We will never know "how he said it." It is funny how someone is bringing it up now.

At this point, I just Mack Brown to go away. I didn't just jump on the bandwagon after the first 3 games this season. I've been saying it for 3 years. Alot of Longhorns saw this day a long time ago. He is the reason this program is where it is today. Ranked number 21 by Rivals in recruiting. Not because of what he has said or not said, but because of our horrible record. These kids want to go where they think they will win. These kids didn't think they would win under Mack Brown and probably feel the program has a ways to go even if Charlie Strong is the second coming. They want to win today, and that's something we can do right now. All of that falls on Mack Brown. Just go away Mack. Please take 35 north and don't stop until you get out of Texas. Sorry for venting, but that's how I feel and have felt for a long time.
-------
Well, he's not going away as he's on the school payroll @ a half mill per year. People keep mentioining that Mack is bitter. How? He's still on the Texas payroll. A bitter person would want nothing to do with their old employer. Mack MAY be disappoionted with how his situation was handled but bitter is stretching it.

And I agree that he always sold recruits on the school NOT the coach. BUT all of a sudden he's in a different situation. There isn't a HC out there that doesn't have some vanity in knowing HE can sell the program better than any of the other staff. The HC is the deal closer. He's the one by stroking a recruits ego can turn a player to his team. At the very end, Mack wasn't the HC/the deal closer, and yet he's being condemned for saying "look around". If anyone's at fault it's the schools for letting him still be a part of the recruiting process.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Well, he's not going away as he's on the school payroll @ a half mill per year. People keep mentioining that Mack is bitter. How? He's still on the Texas payroll. A bitter person would want nothing to do with their old employer. Mack MAY be disappoionted with how his situation was handled but bitter is stretching it.

And I agree that he always sold recruits on the school NOT the coach. BUT all of a sudden he's in a different situation. There isn't a HC out there that doesn't have some vanity in knowing HE can sell the program better than any of the other staff. The HC is the deal closer. He's the one by stroking a recruits ego can turn a player to his team. At the very end, Mack wasn't the HC/the deal closer, and yet he's being condemned for saying "look around". If anyone's at fault it's the schools for letting him still be a part of the recruiting process.

He is definitely bitter. He wanted to keep coaching another year and always said it was his decision. He based that on the "good ole boys" club support inside the university. In the end, the "good ole boys" club got overruled and it was not their or his decision and he was forced out. I guess most people would be bitter if they felt that way. Understandable. The reason he stays is that it's the best place for him for the moment. Right now, he really has no where to go that would give the satisfaction of the job he just had. My guess is he will eventually leave and do something else, but it's too soon to know where at this time.

I mostly agree with your second paragraph. I still think he was probably was talking about before you commit to a school, look around and know for sure this is where you want to be. Because once you commit, he expected you to stop looking and to come to Texas. At least I hope so. I really don't think he had any malicious intent, but I wasn't there, so I don't know for sure.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.

Also, as a point I made on another thread about the lack of "5*s" in Big12: Texas has stocked up on five *s for the last 4-5 years, and how has that worked out? It reflects either the fallacy of recruiting rankings, or the fact that the talent we got was not coached up.

Strong has a good foundation of talent to build on, and if he and the staff can coach the way I think they can, we're going to be alright.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm pretty sure you are alluding to me, and if so, your reading comprehension is woefully inadequate. Go back and re-read and maybe you'll get what I really said.....:L