• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Kings make Gaborik a three-year offer

Bluesince62

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Kings make Gaborik a three-year offer | ProHockeyTalk

The Los Angeles Kings would like to re-sign Marian Gaborik, but they might not have the cap space to pull that off following their decision not to buy out Mike Richards.

All the same, the Kings are at least giving it a shot by offering him a three-year, $15 million contract, according to the Toronto Sun. Gaborik, 32, is coming off of a five-year, $37.5 million deal.

Assuming the report is true, it would both represent a significant pay cut for Gaborik and also less than he’d likely get on the open market. Gaborik’s lengthy injury history is a source of concern that might hurt his bottom line, but he would still be one of the best free agents available and is coming off of a great playoff run.

At the same time, he just won the Stanley Cup with the Kings and they’re likely to stay competitive for years to come, so maybe he will be willing to take less to stay in that situation.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 years is about what I want to give him. He'd be 35 at the end of it. I bet it goes one of two ways. He counters with 3 years with around 5.75-6 mil per or added a 4th year and stay around 5-5.5 mil per.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might want to sweeten that with a 4th year and maybe add a 5th team option year. But the 4th year could be enough to keep him in LA. Not sure what the cap situation looks like that far ahead and who would be due for new contracts by then so that could end up a problem but that's for Lombardi and his cap guru to figure out.

Ox

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit surprised at 3 years, reason being because of his injury history. But hey, if he takes it that's great for the Kings.

He is a great fit here and hopefully realizes the two-way opportunity for him and the Kings.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might want to sweeten that with a 4th year and maybe add a 5th team option year. But the 4th year could be enough to keep him in LA.

Can't have option years anymore on contracts, they eliminated them in the last CBA (2005). They grandfathered in existing ones from the CBA that expired in 2004 (Laperierre, Blake for example - the Avalanche chose not to pick up Blake's final year, which made him a UFA, which is how that ass ended up back in LA) but once those expired none could be issued 2005 onward. Reason being is because it alters the cap figures and business math, they wanted clear cut, black and white - this is how much you get paid for this long.

Not sure what the cap situation looks like that far ahead and who would be due for new contracts by then so that could end up a problem but that's for Lombardi and his cap guru to figure out.

Ox

Three years from now the only priority free agent will be Kopitar, and he will command big bucks as a GIII UFA. Voynov, Doughty, Carter, Richards, Brown and Quick are the only players (6) under contract past then and the Kings will have a projected $38 million to spend.

They would be able to re-sign Gaborik as well, although between now and then Williams, Stoll, Martinez and Regehr will be GIII UFAs and Clifford, Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin and Nolan will be GII RFAs. I don't see Regehr, Stoll or Williams coming back after these contracts so they will need to be replaced, and of the RFAs Toffoli and Pearson for sure will make upwards of $3 million if they trend upward like they showed this past postseason. Muzzin was solid in the last series although I am not sold on him yet at all so I'm on the fence with how much he will command.

So while 3 years doesn't appear like much on the surface, there will be a lot of guys due new contracts that'll eat up a good portion of that available $38 million.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per the blog
lakingsinsider.com/2014/06/23/greene-signing-close-gaborik-progress-made/
Greene close and Gaborik getting there

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Avalanche will focus on Mitchell if this purported deal with Greene is true:

Avalanche going into time when it could pick up free agents - The Denver Post

One new situation in the CBA as mentioned in here is that teams can start talking to pending GIII UFAs a week before July 1, when they can officially sign them. I wouldn't be surprised if that is why this Greene deal is being held up, to see if the Avalanche contact him and he can come back to LA with what they offer and they either match or he walks.

If Greene does sign, Mitchell is likely not coming back and will be replaced with a younger, cheaper alternative (McNabb, Schultz would be my immediate guess) and the Avalanche might give him that 2 year deal he is looking for.