• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Former Major Leaguer Darryl Hamilton victim of an apparent murder-suicide

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Former Major Leaguer Darryl Hamilton victim of an apparent murder-suicide
Craig Calcaterra

Jun 22, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT

2 Comments
darryl-hamilton.png
Getty Images
Awful, awful news from Texas, where the Houston Chronicle reports that former major leaguer and current television analyst Darryl Hamilton was killed over the weekend, in an apparent murder-suicide.

His assailant is alleged to be a woman named Monica Jordan, with whom Hamilton had a 14-month old child. The child was unharmed in the incident. Hamilton appears to have been shot multiple times while Jordan appears to be the victim of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Hamilton had a 13-year major league career, breaking in with the Brewers in 1988 and playing for the Mets, Rockies, Giants and Rangers before retiring after the 2001 season. An outfielder who played all three positions, but mostly center, Hamilton hit .291/.360/.385 for his career with 51 homers, 454 RBI and 163 stolen bases. He appeared in the postseason in four different years, including in the 2000 World Series as a member of the New York Mets. In 1997 he notched the first hit in the first-ever regular-season interleague game.

In recent years Hamilton was building his career as a TV and radio analyst, working Brewers and Anaheim Angels games as well as doing studio work for multiple networks including NBC Sports Network and MLB Network.

On a personal note, I’ll mention that in 2012, Hamilton appeared as a studio analyst on NBC Sports Network, during one of my first-ever television appearances. Hamilton was kind, gracious, funny and insightful and, even though he was relatively new to TV himself then, he helped me get oriented in a television studio. He seemed like a great guy in an industry that doesn’t always have great guys.

Sad, sad news.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW. I saw him play many times with the Rangers.