• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reliever stats

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Brisbee's article tonight:

• FanGraphs has statistics for relievers called “shutdowns” and “meltdowns,” and they’re roughly what you would expect. Shutdowns good, meltdowns bad. You will not be surprised that the Giants are near the top of the league when it comes to meltdowns. The bullpen has been very, very rough. We talked about Rogers, and Caleb Baragar hasn’t been scored upon in 13 appearances. After that, though? Pain.

If you go by expected statistics, there isn’t much of a difference between the main relievers — Rogers, Baragar, Jake McGee, Matt Wisler and José Álvarez all have a FIP between 3.30 and 3.70 — so it’s possible that the good luck is blending with the lousy luck and evening out.

But I don’t think this is a story about luck. This is a story about relievers, and so far, the Giants have had very sketchy contributions from most of them.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Brisbee's article tonight:

• FanGraphs has statistics for relievers called “shutdowns” and “meltdowns,” and they’re roughly what you would expect. Shutdowns good, meltdowns bad. You will not be surprised that the Giants are near the top of the league when it comes to meltdowns. The bullpen has been very, very rough. We talked about Rogers, and Caleb Baragar hasn’t been scored upon in 13 appearances. After that, though? Pain.

If you go by expected statistics, there isn’t much of a difference between the main relievers — Rogers, Baragar, Jake McGee, Matt Wisler and José Álvarez all have a FIP between 3.30 and 3.70 — so it’s possible that the good luck is blending with the lousy luck and evening out.

But I don’t think this is a story about luck. This is a story about relievers, and so far, the Giants have had very sketchy contributions from most of them.
Alvarez, I think, has been worse than his surface numbers indicate. I'm not too familiar with FIP so I don't know if it can more reliably show how he has truly done. I also wonder about that range 3.30 to 3.70. Is the difference between 3.30 and 3.40, for example, small, or is that a large leap from really good to okay?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alvarez, I think, has been worse than his surface numbers indicate. I'm not too familiar with FIP so I don't know if it can more reliably show how he has truly done. I also wonder about that range 3.30 to 3.70. Is the difference between 3.30 and 3.40, for example, small, or is that a large leap from really good to okay?
FIP is pretty similar to ERA. It strips away errors mostly.