• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins starting SS retires abruptly after one year

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure

Don't you want players who actually want to be there?

But dont go and compare your shitty defensive player to one of the best QB or WRs in the game

Who is comparing players - I was just asking the question in terms of your team & Cravens is not as bad as you portray him. Oh well - must be neat being an Internet tough guy.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As bad as the timing was, it's better to quit now than on the field.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is comparing players - I was just asking the question in terms of your team & Cravens is not as bad as you portray him. Oh well - must be neat being an Internet tough guy.

You asked if I would be made if Carr or Cooper left, which is comparing them to Cravens.

I wasn't aware that answering questions made me a tough guy. I thought that was kind of the point of you asking a question.

Wont make that mistake again

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure

Don't you want players who actually want to be there?

But dont go and compare your shitty defensive player to one of the best QB or WRs in the game

Totally missing the point. If it were your team you'd have a different take.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no blurry vision? If that is the case, I will gladly rethink my position.
Remember as athletes, they are trained to fight through anything. When most people would question fighting through a hang nail, these guys would fight through brain damage.

I want to hear from the player. If it was an excuse to quit because he was tired, I will gladly repost my position.
If he is truly battling through issues like blurry vision, then I am sticking with my current one.

Yeah obviously I'm following this closely. I'm telling you all you heard from him is "want to be happy" etc. At no time did he reference any injuries. There were rumblings last year when he was out with injury and the other players saw him playing ping pong and felt he wasn't really trying to come back. He also talked of quitting when at SC.

He just doesn't like football apparently. It's OK, he's allowed. But as I said no reason to be rooting for him IMO.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure - Cravens may simply not like football or it could go much deeper - he could be very worried about head & other issues or perhaps he has some underlying mental issues.

You are correct that perhaps he owes the team & fans a better explanation but we don't live in a perfect world. Lots of people don't provide these type of explanations in similar situations (leaving a job, breaking up a relationship, etc). In any case the Redskins need to move on regardless & I will focus on the team that shows up on Sun.

I think Cravens was being counted on as a major contributor to the WAS DEF...those guys in that locker room imo deserve an explanation. This had to be on his mind for some time...why not say some back in Mar or Apr where the team could've responded.

As fans...it sucks but idk, you definitely want to focus on the players that want to play...at the same time I understand some guys just don't love playing the game.

The Steelers lost a starting OLB in a similar fashion a few years ago...Jason Worilds, got finally earned the job, played okay, but the FO was not all in so they tagged him. He played under the tag for some good money...Steelers started working on a long term deal the following season...Titans, other teams were interested and he basically up and retired. Just didn't want to play football anymore.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the upside might be that guys stop using their helmeted heads as weapons and the number of concussions would go down.

Nah, too many dummies trying to make the highlight reels instead of wrapping up and executing a proper tackle.

This is true, you can still hit hard without leading with your head... You just gotta play smart... This is why in rugby they smack each other around but don't spike with there heads... The helmets make defenders feel like it's a weapon, play without helmets and head on head collisions would stop quick like... Players wouldn't want to wrack there heads together, that shit hurts...

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cravens was being counted on as a major contributor to the WAS DEF...those guys in that locker room imo deserve an explanation. This had to be on his mind for some time...why not say some back in Mar or Apr where the team could've responded.

As fans...it sucks but idk, you definitely want to focus on the players that want to play...at the same time I understand some guys just don't love playing the game.

The Steelers lost a starting OLB in a similar fashion a few years ago...Jason Worilds, got finally earned the job, played okay, but the FO was not all in so they tagged him. He played under the tag for some good money...Steelers started working on a long term deal the following season...Titans, other teams were interested and he basically up and retired. Just didn't want to play football anymore.

In the case here, or the center in Baltimore, at least they played in the league, made some money, and for various reasons have had enough. To see that out of a 2nd year player who barely played as a rookie and is living on 2nd round money is pretty much unheard of. So he must really be unhappy and everyone deserves to be happy. But of course the timing was the thing that is the killer for the team and fans.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but I don't think I would. Now if he's just playing a game to get himself free to go to another team, I'd want to beat his head in.

Jay Ratliff

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the case here, or the center in Baltimore, at least they played in the league, made some money, and for various reasons have had enough. To see that out of a 2nd year player who barely played as a rookie and is living on 2nd round money is pretty much unheard of. So he must really be unhappy and everyone deserves to be happy. But of course the timing was the thing that is the killer for the team and fans.

Worilds was also a 2nd rd pick and really only played 1 full season, but he did make some cash playing under the franchise tag.

Cravens...his heart just wasn't in it....he wouldn't be the 1st player to bail on his team, but like you said...the timing is bad all the way around for the team.

I've played in some celebrity charity golf events here back when Art Shell was running a tourney...met a lot of older former NFL players...many of those guys I met seem to love the game even though some were dealing with post career health issues.