• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins discussing extensions with Kerrigan and Williams

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is good to hear. Keeping these guys as Redskins is as important as signing any big name FA. Take care of your own first.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I kept hearing how much cap space they had and how they would not be gong after the big ticket guys this thought was front and center. Kerrigan is a must keep and while I still don't think Trent is great as posted there is no Plan B and he is perhaps the most irreplaceable Redskin right now.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why fans are down on Trent. He's battled injuries and had poor LGs next to him. But however you may view him, if you let him go, our next options are Tom Compton and Morgan Moses.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm not down on Trent. But to me the 3rd pick in the draft that makes more money then Bill Gates should be Jim Lachey, Joe Jacoby great. Instead he is Chris Samuels really good and I was hoping for great.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why fans are down on Trent. He's battled injuries and had poor LGs next to him. But however you may view him, if you let him go, our next options are Tom Compton and Morgan Moses.

Oh Come on now, you dont see the talent that Morgan "The Red Sea" Moses possesses??

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm not down on Trent. But to me the 3rd pick in the draft that makes more money then Bill Gates should be Jim Lachey, Joe Jacoby great. Instead he is Chris Samuels really good and I was hoping for great.

Not even close to being a fair comparison for several reasons. The primary one being that Jacoby & Lachey were surrounded by superior talent including a HOFer at G. Remember the O-line works as a unit & not a bunch of individuals. Give Williams a bit more time with better players & perhaps better coaching & he may turn out to be as good or better than those guys.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok my question is what more does williams have to do ? he is a regular in the pro bowl so what more can he do . he carries the o/line and is amongst the best tackles in the NFL

what more do you need to see ?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close to being a fair comparison for several reasons. The primary one being that Jacoby & Lachey were surrounded by superior talent including a HOFer at G. Remember the O-line works as a unit & not a bunch of individuals. Give Williams a bit more time with better players & perhaps better coaching & he may turn out to be as good or better than those guys.

While I agree an OL is a team that works together and is reliant on each other you can still evaluate players without it being totally dependent on the guy next to you. It's no different that comparing WRs without looking at who threw them the ball.

Are you really saying if Trent had Raleigh McKenzie next to him like Lachey did he would have been better at stopping DaMarcus Ware from beating him around the edge as often as he did? Sorry, I'm not buying it. Lachey was fantastic at locking into the other team's best pass rusher and shutting him down one on one, which is what happens most of the time when a LT is matched up against an edge rusher. Way better than Trent has been to date IMO. It's not even close really.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...Jacoby, Lachey, and Williams are the only tackles in Dc to ever go to 3 consecutive pro bowls....so....I would say he is pretty Damn good!!!! Glad they are trying to lock him in now and Pay him now!!! Same for Kerrigan..he is a model of consistnecy, and he is improving all the time...Lock him down now, before we have to franchise him!!!!! save the franchise tag for next year...when Hopefully..fingers crossed...RGIII forces the Skins to use on him!!!!!

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...Jacoby, Lachey, and Williams are the only tackles in Dc to ever go to 3 consecutive pro bowls....so....I would say he is pretty Damn good!!!! Glad they are trying to lock him in now and Pay him now!!! Same for Kerrigan..he is a model of consistnecy, and he is improving all the time...Lock him down now, before we have to franchise him!!!!! save the franchise tag for next year...when Hopefully..fingers crossed...RGIII forces the Skins to use on him!!!!!

In the words of Larry the Cable guy.... I dont care who you are that right there is funny. :)

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams IS pretty damn good. I agree with that and I totally want them to lock him in for a long term deal. But I just don't consider him great.

Pro Bowls as the measuring stick doesn't fly IMO. Brad Daughterty, the center from North Carolina, went to 5 All Star Games. Now is anyone prepared to argue that Brad Daughtery was a great basketball player? No he went because of the lack of elite centers in the Eastern Conference. Same thing with Chris Samuels and IMO Trent Williams. Had they played when there were more really good LTs in the NFC maybe they don't make so many. And of course a lot of Pro Bowlers make it because others bail or are playing in the SB.

Trent Williams is a very very good LT. But he is simply not in the same class as Jack and Lachey.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams IS pretty damn good. I agree with that and I totally want them to lock him in for a long term deal. But I just don't consider him great.

Pro Bowls as the measuring stick doesn't fly IMO. Brad Daughterty, the center from North Carolina, went to 5 All Star Games. Now is anyone prepared to argue that Brad Daughtery was a great basketball player? No he went because of the lack of elite centers in the Eastern Conference. Same thing with Chris Samuels and IMO Trent Williams. Had they played when there were more really good LTs in the NFC maybe they don't make so many. And of course a lot of Pro Bowlers make it because others bail or are playing in the SB.

Trent Williams is a very very good LT. But he is simply not in the same class as Jack and Lachey.

Agree about the probowls..etc....Agree that he is not in the same class of Jacoby and Lachey, but he is pretty damn good, and I bet at least 1/2 the teams out there, wished they had him protecting the blindside!!!!

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree about the probowls..etc....Agree that he is not in the same class of Jacoby and Lachey, but he is pretty damn good, and I bet at least 1/2 the teams out there, wished they had him protecting the blindside!!!!
Half? Try 90%. He is in the top 5 of LTs when he is healthy.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree an OL is a team that works together and is reliant on each other you can still evaluate players without it being totally dependent on the guy next to you. It's no different that comparing WRs without looking at who threw them the ball.

Are you really saying if Trent had Raleigh McKenzie next to him like Lachey did he would have been better at stopping DaMarcus Ware from beating him around the edge as often as he did? Sorry, I'm not buying it. Lachey was fantastic at locking into the other team's best pass rusher and shutting him down one on one, which is what happens most of the time when a LT is matched up against an edge rusher. Way better than Trent has been to date IMO. It's not even close really.

Go back & look at some of the video last year when Williams had to basically block two guys due to the crappy play of others & keep in mind that he was often playing injured. Check out the roster during the Lachey era :

Bostic, Jeff (C)
McKenzie, Raleigh (G)
Schlereth, Mark (G)
Jacoby, Joe (T)
Lachey, Jim (T)

Take away Lachey & can you compare that to last season's Skins O-line w/ a straight face? Give me a break. The previous teams which included Grimm are much better. Add in the fact that you had TEs that blocked about 100% better and coaches who were significantly better. Yes - it would make a difference against other pass rushers. Also - Williams has only had 5 seasons to prove himself & with inferior surrounding talent.

Beyond that he doesn't have to be held to the standard of any of these guys. He simply needs to contribute in a major way to the team - which he has. Also- try comparing this to most other Redskins draft picks over the last 20 years - laughable. They should never let go of this guy barring a major injury or when he gets much older.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also remember that line only allowed 9 sacks I believe. Do you honestly believe that this was only because of Lachey? Beg to differ. Can't wait to see how this O-line can perform (regardless of QB) with the right personnel. Also - as shown by this & other teams - the bulk of the players need to come from within & not from some overpriced FAs (everyone but Lachey).

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back & look at some of the video last year when Williams had to basically block two guys due to the crappy play of others & keep in mind that he was often playing injured. Check out the roster during the Lachey era :

Bostic, Jeff (C)
McKenzie, Raleigh (G)
Schlereth, Mark (G)
Jacoby, Joe (T)
Lachey, Jim (T)

Take away Lachey & can you compare that to last season's Skins O-line w/ a straight face? Give me a break. The previous teams which included Grimm are much better. Add in the fact that you had TEs that blocked about 100% better and coaches who were significantly better. Yes - it would make a difference against other pass rushers. Also - Williams has only had 5 seasons to prove himself & with inferior surrounding talent.

Beyond that he doesn't have to be held to the standard of any of these guys. He simply needs to contribute in a major way to the team - which he has. Also- try comparing this to most other Redskins draft picks over the last 20 years - laughable. They should never let go of this guy barring a major injury or when he gets much older.

When did I say I wanted to let him go? On the contrary I want him signed for the rest of his career. And of course the rest of this OL is no match for those lines, that's a no-brainer.
And no doubt Trent has had to compensate.

However I've seen enough of DeMarcus Ware turning the corner and beating Trent to say that he ain't no Lachey. That was my point. Now is it fair to compare Trent to one of the all time great Redskins? Of course not. But posters here are forcing me to do that by posting comments about the number of Pro Bowls etc.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did I say I wanted to let him go? On the contrary I want him signed for the rest of his career. And of course the rest of this OL is no match for those lines, that's a no-brainer.

However I've seen enough of DeMarcus Ware turning the corner and beating Trent to say that he ain't no Lachey. That was my point. Now is it fair to compare Trent to one of the all time great Redskins? Of course not. But you have forced me to try to do that.

Not trying to suggest that you wanted him to be gone. Not sure about comparison to Lachey. However - basically trying to point out that guys like Williams are not truly appreciated by fans especially in comparison to most of the slop that came from their other picks and pickups over the recent past.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to suggest that you wanted him to be gone. Not sure about comparison to Lachey. However - basically trying to point out that guys like Williams are not truly appreciated by fans especially in comparison to most of the slop that came from their other picks and pickups over the recent past.

Oh I understand why people are coming to his defense. And again it's not fair to compare him to the all timers. But of course that's what I've done. Again he was the 3rd pick in the draft and makes a shit load of money. I was hoping for great like Lachey and Jake and of course that led to the inevitable comparisons. Again he is very very good but sorry he is simply not great. That's all I've been trying to say.