• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Zone problems under Kelly

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rees and Golson were awful in the red zone

kizer has been brutal the past month

it seems like Kelly has 2 pass plays in the playbook for the red zone. wide receiver screen and jump ball in the corner. I miss the days of the quick play-action passes that would leave a tight end wide open in the back of the end zone. anyone else notice the bland play calling when they get down there

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it seems like Kelly has 2 pass plays in the playbook for the red zone. wide receiver screen and jump ball in the corner. I miss the days of the quick play-action passes that would leave a tight end wide open in the back of the end zone. anyone else notice the bland play calling when they get down there
I agree and Kizer seems to not understand just what a red zone turnover costs your team. He's made some really bad decisions in the red zone and yes play calling has some blame.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't blame Kelly for everything. The QB should be held responsible for their decision making and fumbles (In Golston case)

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pro style offense. I've said it a hundred times, pro style offenses are my favorite.

Kelly is a good coach, don't get me wrong, but Weis was a better playcaller.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not just the Red Zone. He has not changed a damn thing in 11 games. I was at the game on Saturday and I knew what plays ND was going to run, they are so obvious and I was not the only person to see this. Started the game with the same play, just to opposite sides. 3 WR split to the left or right. RB to the left of right on Kizer, run to the strong side for a loss. He must have ran this play 6 times, and they were all stopped for a loss. They could not run outside all game, yet BK kept going to it. The lack of play action on this team is hurting them. There is just no more fooling the def. It seems to be a trend with this team. Start out hot, then slowly get beat and the offense comes to a stand still. Only difference this year, we are managing to hold on. IDK anymore. BK needs to stop calling the plays, or someone needs to get in his face. This guy is so limited in his ability, it's become a joke now. Run, pass to the flats, WR screen, deep ball to Fuller....I will say this, they did use the middle of the field more, and when they did, they moved the ball.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not just the Red Zone. He has not changed a damn thing in 11 games. I was at the game on Saturday and I knew what plays ND was going to run, they are so obvious and I was not the only person to see this. Started the game with the same play, just to opposite sides. 3 WR split to the left or right. RB to the left of right on Kizer, run to the strong side for a loss. He must have ran this play 6 times, and they were all stopped for a loss. They could not run outside all game, yet BK kept going to it. The lack of play action on this team is hurting them. There is just no more fooling the def. It seems to be a trend with this team. Start out hot, then slowly get beat and the offense comes to a stand still. Only difference this year, we are managing to hold on. IDK anymore. BK needs to stop calling the plays, or someone needs to get in his face. This guy is so limited in his ability, it's become a joke now. Run, pass to the flats, WR screen, deep ball to Fuller....I will say this, they did use the middle of the field more, and when they did, they moved the ball.

It's like you read my mind... or ever other ND fan that pays attention!

I believe there was one read-option where the DL and LB both came down and one hit the back as soon as he got the ball and the other was on Kizer, it was a perfect call and executed defensive play of the option. When he runs Adams right off tackle with a straight hand-off he does well picking his way and with a li'l receiver help on the edge block. I was pleased to see some middle routes and crossing routes, the one Fuller bumbled would've been a big gainer as well as the wide open deep ball he dropped.

The lack of the QB under center is really the biggest issue and it shows itself with that lack of play-action. Within one second or so anyone looking into the backfield knows if we're running or passing (except for Kizer stepping up to run), even Kizer's designed runs have no pause to let the action unfold a touch. Kid's in the shotgun/pistol, it's impossible for the line to block for two seconds and for him to stand pat for 1 as well?

Red Zone calls, blech. Even the play where Kizer threw the pick was a strange call, there was no room and the receiver got jammed up and couldn't get off the LOS quick enough. That very strange Screen call to Fuller that got blown up and picked was just as bad, or the execution was, or both.

I was fairly pleased with Brown though and even Carlisle. Probably their best game in the passing dept all year long. Brown probably saved another pick or a RZ FG with his grab in the EZ.

Oh well... we've got no choice but to live with it or stop watching... and I love a good trainwreck so I can't stop watching, just wish it wasn't my team running off the tracks!

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in the end zone during the game, and the holes were open between the tackles more than you would think. That is where they got their yards. It just seems when something is not working, Kelly refuses to try something else. It's like he is going to try it, till it works so he can say "see it worked" That pick on the 1, no reason with Kizer under center and the size he is, to not just leap over the top. That should have been the only play called there. Instead they ran what looked like a jump pass screen play....total shit bum call on that. You run from there and if you don't get it, you kick the FG. The first pick I have no clue what he was thinking. The second it left his hand you could hear the moans across the stadium. Overall bad game from the offense. Thank God that BC offense was terrible and didn't figure things out till the 4th. I think we need to run Fuller more in motion and out of the slot. No one can keep up with him when he is already moving. Let's hope BK was just doing this because of who he was playing and plans on opening up the offense to some new plays.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
red zone problems bit again tonight. it is amazing

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes this is the one area he needs to fix. i blame him but overall offense was good this year

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lack of using the TE in the red zone has been hurting. I can't explain the red zone troubles with the offensive line and skill position players not to mention an athletic QB.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lack of using the TE in the red zone has been hurting. I can't explain the red zone troubles with the offensive line and skill position players not to mention an athletic QB.

What is this TE you speak of??

Didn't hurt just in the red zone, it hurt them all year all over the field.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is this TE you speak of??

Didn't hurt just in the red zone, it hurt them all year all over the field.

wischer was an amazing blocker the entire season. he has great hands. they never really used him in the passing game though

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wischer was an amazing blocker the entire season. he has great hands. they never really used him in the passing game though

Same with Jones. The kid is a freak with great speed. No LB could stay with him. Sure he had some drops, but the match up he created were to hard to ignore. Not sure why they both were not used more. Mind boggling.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I been saying it for awhile we need to run the ball. Stop getting pass happy in the red zone or run the ball and use play action. Stanford did it twice against us. Easy TDs for the TE.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion but we are too pass happy in the red zone. We need to run more when we are in that area especially when Our RB's are avg 4.5+ a carry. Love to see some play action roll out to the TE. Stuff like that.