• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Red River Rivalry" name FINALLY changed

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have to wonder, UT goes to Lubbock every other year, used to go to college station every other year. You think meeting in the middle to fight is lame because you can't experience it, but anybody who's ever been to a Texas/ou game knows its the best sports environment in cfb. You literally share the city with your rivals, every hotel, bar, etc is half and half.

I'm talking about your main rival.

Like I said, You miss out on so much by not being able to go into enemy territory and rip out their hearts.

I mean I get the half and half is cool but I think home and home is way better.

I think a home-away-neutral would be the ultimate format for a rivalry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if tOSU had a game like this, you would understand, or if you ever attended an OU v Texas in person, you might understand. Otherwise, with your thinking, it is lost on you.

and really, OU used to have the OU v Nebbish game, which is more to your liking and it was one of the best rivalries around.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right on! Every time I see Castiglione he knows I'm going to tell him again how the OU/Texas game would absolutely explode with a 1-1-1 arrangement. Imagine Bevo and the Texas cheerleaders in OU's home stadium leading cheers for nearly 45,000 screaming orange bloods hell bent on screwing OU to the wall. And think about the Sooner Schooner and hordes of rabid OU fans sitting in DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium with Boomer Sooner blasting away every 2 minutes. F.u.c.k.i.n.g. Awesome! It's what college football should always be about with rivalry games. And Dallas gets a bone with a neutral site game to maintain that tradition during the Texas state fair.

I don't see the Norman or Austin stadiums being half and half like the Cotton Bowl (which is a huge part of the game), but like I said, if and when the CB goes away, I'm all in for a home and home.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right on! Every time I see Castiglione he knows I'm going to tell him again how the OU/Texas game would absolutely explode with a 1-1-1 arrangement. Imagine Bevo and the Texas cheerleaders in OU's home stadium leading cheers for nearly 45,000 screaming orange bloods hell bent on screwing OU to the wall. And think about the Sooner Schooner and hordes of rabid OU fans sitting in DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium with Boomer Sooner blasting away every 2 minutes. F.u.c.k.i.n.g. Awesome! It's what college football should always be about with rivalry games. And Dallas gets a bone with a neutral site game to maintain that tradition during the Texas state fair.

First time, ever, I've been convinced of this. Well done.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as long as 'they' don't move it to that damn Jerrah World.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the Norman or Austin stadiums being half and half like the Cotton Bowl (which is a huge part of the game), but like I said, if and when the CB goes away, I'm all in for a home and home.

Part of the deal would need to be having the stadiums split 50/50 like it is now. There are only so many tickets now available to that game for each team and the number would stay the same (or vary a bit according to the number of total seats available since UT has a bigger stadium). 50/50 is what would have the house rocking every year. It would be the most bad ass game in college football....hands down.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now it's officially the "Red River Showdown"

I like this better, but it's ALWAYS going to be the shootout for me. Fuck that PC shit.

Bleh, they probably paid a consulting firm 10 million dollars to come up with that gem.

RRSO.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the deal would need to be having the stadiums split 50/50 like it is now. There are only so many tickets now available to that game for each team and the number would stay the same (or vary a bit according to the number of total seats available since UT has a bigger stadium). 50/50 is what would have the house rocking every year. It would be the most bad ass game in college football....hands down.

dunno, but I think you would have a lot of pissed of fans on both sides if it was 50/50 on the home field.

Personally, I don't think it would work, but that's just me.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dunno, but I think you would have a lot of pissed of fans on both sides if it was 50/50 on the home field.

Personally, I don't think it would work, but that's just me.

50/50 is what makes the game the attraction it is now. Giving one team 10% of the tickets messes all that up. It would be better to keep all the games at a neutral 50/50 site than make the traveling team a tiny minority in the other school's stadium. There would no reason for fans to bitch: they already have to buy a OU/Texas ticket separate from the season tickets and single game tickets now. And the OU/Texas tickets are already sold on a different donor/priority basis than season tickets and single game tickets. Nothing would change except the venue. And the hellacious atmosphere for the home and home games would be ramped to the max. If the visiting team could win the game their SOS would also be a screaming mofo for the playoff system.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right. nothing says home game like 45,000 visiting fans.:L

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. nothing says home game like 45,000 visiting fans.:L

A State Pen fan just chimed in on something that's between OU and Texas. Ain't that cute. You obviously don't understand the rivalry and what it means TO BOTH TEAMS to have the stadium split 50/50. Try Googling a picture of the OU/Texas game and maybe, just maybe, it will dawn on you that half the stadium is reserved for the crimson fans and half the stadium is reserved for the orange fans. We're talking about changing the venue not the composition.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To you maybe.

Haven't you ever wondered what it would be like for your team to go into your rivals stadium and beat them?

This is why neutral site rivalry games are lame. I mean I can see a few positives of it but you miss out on so much other.

No, not at all. Texas has walked into Kyle Field and slapped Aggy silly for decades and before the Pigs left for the SEC, Texas used to walk in Fayetteville and Little Rock and bitch slap the pigs silly for decades as well. Been there, done that in other words......

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the change to the Red River Showdown is an improvement over the RRR.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not at all. Texas has walked into Kyle Field and slapped Aggy silly for decades and before the Pigs left for the SEC, Texas used to walk in Fayetteville and Little Rock and bitch slap the pigs silly for decades as well. Been there, done that in other words......

That's what I like about UT playing in Norman. You guys would say "fuck it, let's go" because Texas isn't afraid to play ANYONE on the road. Same thing with OU going to Austin. But the fans would be shitting bricks.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I like about UT playing in Norman. You guys would say "fuck it, let's go" because Texas isn't afraid to play ANYONE on the road. Same thing with OU going to Austin. But the fans would be shitting bricks.

I agree Goldbug. Although, I do disagree about making it 50/50 if they ever were to move the series to home and home. Having the home field advantage means the traveling team has maybe 5K tickets available at the most. But I do like that 1-1-1 format idea you came up with......

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it ever goes to a home/home series we could at least get some fucking night games and maybe play it on Thanksgiving Day.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Goldbug. Although, I do disagree about making it 50/50 if they ever were to move the series to home and home. Having the home field advantage means the traveling team has maybe 5K tickets available at the most. But I do like that 1-1-1 format idea you came up with......

OK, TE98, good point. But having the game change too much would be (IMO) a mistake. Perhaps the best compromise would be to split the seating maybe 80/20 or 70/30. There are too many important donors at both schools who deserve a ticket to see the game. That would preserve a definite home field advantage and also accommodate the economic realities of running big-time athletic programs.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have to wonder, UT goes to Lubbock every other year, used to go to college station every other year. You think meeting in the middle to fight is lame because you can't experience it, but anybody who's ever been to a Texas/ou game knows its the best sports environment in cfb. You literally share the city with your rivals, every hotel, bar, etc is half and half.

It is indeed the most awesome college football experience I've ever been to, absolutely.